How to get a certified copy of a Thai Passport

I'm trying to establish a brokerage account for my Thai wife with Charles Schwab. They want a certified copy of her ID. Where do I get that done? At the passport office here in Phuket? 

Is that the same as getting a notarized copy? Could that be done at an attorney's office? 

Thanks for any input. 

You should be able to get a verified copy for a Thai passport for around 200 baht at the place where they issue passports, provided it is a valid passport. I got one a few years back for my wife, to open a shared foreign bank account in the name of my wife and that was accepted by the (Dutch) bank. If it needs to be a verified copy of a ID card I think you need to go to a attorney.

2 hours ago, Amplish said:

You should be able to get a verified copy for a Thai passport for around 200 baht at the place where they issue passports, provided it is a valid passport. I got one a few years back for my wife, to open a shared foreign bank account in the name of my wife and that was accepted by the (Dutch) bank. If it needs to be a verified copy of a ID card I think you need to go to a attorney.

That's what I was hoping for. To get one page notarized by a local attorney was going to cost me 3000baht. 

42 minutes ago, thaikahuna said:

You would need to get either a certified copy through the MoFA at Chaeng Wattana nad then get a certified translation or take it to the U.S. Embassy (assuming you are an American) and let them do it. 

I don't think that is really needed in this case. A Thai passport is mostly in English on the info page not Thai.

3 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

check internet in your town for an address. Any lawyer will do it

Not sure that is 100% correct, it would depend on the brokerage firm as to whether they will accept or not, most of the times that I have had to have documents such as Thai passports notorized for work purposes, then it had to be done by a Thai registered public notary.

Just now, Mattd said:

Not sure that is 100% correct, it would depend on the brokerage firm as to whether they will accept or not, most of the times that I have had to have documents such as Thai passports notorized for work purposes, then it had to be done by a Thai registered public notary.

I did it 3 months ago in CM

2 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

I did it 3 months ago in CM

I'm sure you did, I am not saying it cannot be done for some purposes, it depends on the requirements of the ones needing to have it notarized, each have different requirements.

On 3/21/2018 at 7:44 AM, Pinot said:

I'm trying to establish a brokerage account for my Thai wife with Charles Schwab. They want a certified copy of her ID.

My GF opened an online brokerage account last year with her own bank, SCB, which was very "easy"; the local SCB-branch certified a copy of her ID and mailed it to the main-office, together with all other necessary applications and documents.

When I a few years ago opened my own SCB online trading, I also used the local SCB-branch to certify my passport copy.

I would presume that if one's bank is not good enough for certification – normally a bank account is linked with a brokerage account – then an authorized notary, or the local amphor, could do the job.

:smile:

I just done my wife and four kids Thai passport last week in Chiangmai. Is easy, just make a copy of each of the passport front page and together with the original passport, summit to your local area MOFA and paid 200 baht for each passport, I paid total 800 bath as I need to endorse 4 passports. If you summited in Monday morning, you can get it back on Wednesday morning. Don’t need to make any English translation as the passport is in English unless someone need a different language.

0B13407E-5BF5-4562-9C93-18B70B418280.jpeg

• Like 2

On 22/03/2018 at 11:45 AM, sirocco said:

Hello, Fulhamboy, 
1200 baht for a copy certifiée- compliant or passport.
For a copy it's very exaggerated. Just for a stamp and a signature, we do not get bored in Phuket.
Why, the passport 5 years ???

Passport for travel, she have ID card now she have passport we may go visit friends in Hong kong, 

then she come with me to Singapore for hoilday.

Anthony Loh's explanation is the correct one.. go to Ministry Of Foreign Affairs. if you are in a hurry you can get it the same day (but will have to pay 4X) (at least true for Ubon Ratchathani).  

i needed it for the IRS, and it was exactly what they wanted - a "copy" saying the "copy was" really you.