Hypothetical Situation...

bwpage3

My wife and I have talked about this briefly.  We could still get by at 20 baht per Canadian dollar,  but we would be giving up some holidays.  I was worried, but when we pricrd out a new condo at 1000000 baht, 10% down and 18000 baht per month income and bank happy.   So ... do we live broke in Canada or broke in Thailand?

Seems a lot of people don't realize that pre 1997 (at least as far back as 1988) we were getting between 38 and 42 baht to 1GBP. That was my experience. Granted, things were a lot cheaper then.

1997 was a game changer, but destined never to last.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I was in Thailand when the Us Dollar was 20 Baht and found things much cheaper about 50% less compared to now. The living conditions were much better in that there was much less traffic; much less pollution and the pace of life much slower.

Today- prices are much higher while the dollar/pound/Aussie Dollar  much lower.The quality of life has deteriorated. Thailand is overrun by tourists doing damage to the environment and the quality of life in general. Pollution in some places has made cities unlivable and the people are working harder for less than a livable wage.  There is an increasing middle class and they are also travelling within country affecting areas of Thailand that were once pristine but now not.

I still love Thailand and what it has to offer but if I was starting out as an Expat or a tourist- I would probably give Thailand a miss. The Thai Baht is way too strong and there are other countries within Asia that are more friendly; less hassle; and cheaper and capture what Thailand was like 30 years ago.

IMHO industrialization and the strive for a first world identity destroys cultures and civilizations as well as allowing massive tourism. Bangkok is becoming like New York and London and with advancing prices to match.

I doubt I would ever leave Thailand unless the Baht dropped below 20 to the Us Dollar

Good post, thank you.  

I think when we reach a certain age we try to turn back the clock. That was certainly my initial attraction to Thailand and the new place i bought a home at in the US. Turning back the clock isn't necessarily cheaper; certainly not in the US, but it is comforting to many, including myself. I don't want to go, go, go all the time. I don't want my "space" invaded". I want to be free to do as I like. If one doesn't have an extraordinary attachment to self, Thailand is a great place to do just that

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Hmm.

Lots of questions. 

There are many reasons why an expat might want to or feel "forced" to leave Thailand. 

Expats that earn baht here would be in a different situation.

Short answer -- the baht down to 20 would put fire under my arse.

Personally, I really don't understand why anyone needs/wants to end their days in Thailand. It ain't no big deal. There are many countries with no such dreadful visa restrictions, changes in the law at a drop of the hat and so on. Get your act together TV Victor Meldrew types on Thaivisa are not reality !!!!!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Wonder if anyone on this forum lived here in 1981 when the baht was 20 to 1?

Yes and it actually was a bit below 20 at times as I recall it.  But not a big deal as normal high was about 25 in those days - it is only relatively recently that baht was often over 30.

• Thanks 1

Talked about this with a friend about 4/5 years ago over lunch. Id just sent 10k GBP over to start house build and got 41.8 baht to the pound. 

We both said 30baht to the pound would hurt us and curtail virtually everything we do. Both of us have two children over here...

As for me going back to the UK well 20 baht to the pound would I think do it.. I would take my two boys and leave the Mrs maybe.. As I could not afford to take her.. I have property in the UK but do not eant to sell it as I want my children and wife ti benifit from it.. Hard decisions have to be made... Also my life expected span is less now so although I need less to live on I need to make dure my family are catered for.. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I was in Thailand when the Us Dollar was 20 Baht and found things much cheaper about 50% less compared to now. The living conditions were much better in that there was much less traffic; much less pollution and the pace of life much slower.

I call you on that - a ride in from Don Muang, and one nose blow, and your handkerchief would be black from diesel fueled bus/trucks - much less traffic did not equal less pollution.  As for things being cheaper believe most cost more, at lot more, than today - markets are much freer today and imported products sell at a fraction of costs then.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ban Phe Dezza said:

The Philippines is a country not a Provence of over 700 Islands it has its bad points as well as good.  for those on Aussie pensions currently you get around  66.000.00 PISO  per 4 weekly age pension    1,664 AUD =67,252.93PHP

There are actually 7,106 islands that make up the Philippines.

• Like 1

I saw this 12 years ago when I went backpacking to Thailand with my gf. I wrote on the forum 10 baht to Canadian dollar in 10 years. I was wrong because 10 years have passed already, but this will be my exit point. 10 baht to 1 worthless loonie. 

BTW, I remember when oil was high and Canadians got so arrogant when they received american quarter as change (there's a lot of them in circulation). They enjoyed a full year of feeling superior and then they got their toilet currency back.

Enjoy!

44 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Yes, but the cost of things has also increased in the USA .

The pollution in BKK used to be terrible , much better these days

• Like 1

I can remember getting less than  16 Bht for 1 AUD when I came here.

If most of you guys on here had been not so paranoid about Thai Banks (5 of which are more solid than 

most worldwide) the hypothetical question would not apply & you could be buying your home currency cheaper

5 minutes ago, ScotBkk said:

To me your a really cool guy. I hate how these Thai apologists Portray life in Thailand as some Nirvana on a peaceful life like country with beautiful women full of great prosperity. In fact, its a disgrace ........................:passifier:  

Who are the people who say that ?

Most TV posters complain about any and everything and seem to hate living in Thailand 

• Like 2

If it dropped to 2 baht on the dollar I could still make my monthly nut without tapping into savings. On savings alone I could go 16 years not including interest. By then SS would kick in and I will have inherited another 8 years worth. I'm not worried. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

was in Thailand when the Us Dollar was 20 Baht and found things much cheaper about 50% less compared to now. The living conditions were much better in that there was much less traffic; much less pollution and the pace of life much slower.

Interesting.  Assuming you speak of the 1980s, wasn't pollution worse, at least in Bangkok.  Fewer cars then, but much more emissions per vehicle.  

17 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I have no place to move to ............ but rooms for rent in PI can be had from about 5,000peso/month, so no toughy.

Really, where in the Philippines? i am not saying that you cant, just wondering where, i may go to Valencia for a few months.

3 minutes ago, Acemaker said:

Really, where in the Philippines? i am not saying that you cant, just wondering where, i may go to Valencia for a few months.

Anbon Hotel fan room (over and behind BizMart), Barretto, Olongapo, Zambeles.

Cheap Charlies just across the road, small San Miguel Beer 35 Peso.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

2 hours ago, Ban Phe Dezza said:

The Philippines is a country not a Provence of over 700 Islands it has its bad points as well as good.  for those on Aussie pensions currently you get around  66.000.00 PISO  per 4 weekly age pension    1,664 AUD =67,252.93PHP

Well, it is 7,000 islands and yes, it does have its good and bad points. The infrastructure is worse than Thailand and accommodation is not as cheap as it is in Thailand, but alcohol and tobacco are cheaper. If you don't really care where you live, you can find very cheap accommodation in the small barrios--as I said in another thread, I have a small house, not just a room--in fact, it is two rooms, a bath and kitchenette, all for P2000/mo; USD 39/mo, about AUD 50/month.

However, I would not like to live there--alright for a few days. Actually, some guys may like it; if you can live on basic local foods. Two good points; beer, gin and rum is downright cheap, and there are plenty of village ladies who would share your bed for a pittance--just be careful they are unencumbered by a jealous suitor.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stropper said:

first came to thailand in 2016, being really smart we changed money at sydney airport, got around 22 bhart  per dollar, we thought we were rich when my mate and i arrived  in bangkok ,back then , compared to now, i can not see many things that are that much dearer, we , as newcomers paid then a hell of a lot for pussy, we definately got ripped of, you still can get 25 bhart for aus dollar now so i think its still good value here now, when i moved here permanately , i bought heaps of cash and changed at 32  bhart, put it in the bank, so in reality, now i am way in front, just back from aus and there is no way that i will ever go back there, its bloody expensive and there is a law for every thing, at least you are free here, i pay no rent live on our farm, we clear 150k bhart a year and we live like kings on my old age pension and i can not see any thing changing here to i check out, no i am staying

Congrats, however i feel you are the exception, BTW, how much are you paying for Pussy now, because like it or not you are paying for it, its just disguised.    :cheesy: