BREAKING: Police to ban water splashing on all main and secondary roads during Songkran

snoop1130

9 hours ago, sanemax said:

Because a person posted a photo of ladies in wet T-shirts as an example as why he likes Songkram

"Songkram"  - roughly the Thai word for WAR, with a one letter difference from Songkran, it seems almost appropriate.

"Water War Festival."

7 hours ago, DM07 said:

So...here we go again!

All the grumpies will celebrate this inane BS, because they can't deal with or plan for a few days of mayhem!

May I point out one thing about my homecountry?

Every year in February, especially the western part of the country celebrates Fasching or Karneval!

That would be 4- 6 days of costumes, music and lots and lots of alcohol!

The number of accidents rises (surely) but there are very few deaths.

Very few as in ...close to none!

Why is that?

Because in my homecountry, you get caught drunk -driving...you loose your license and you are fined!

And in my homecountry, if you want to get out of your self- inflicted mess and you would hand the friendly police- officer a 50 Euro- note...you'd be in more trouble, then you were before!

I am 100% sure - having lived here for 10 years- that it is not really a matter of water- splashing, but of sensible and sober driving!

If you are sober and can adjust to the situation quickly. you would be (mostly ) aware of a gang of party- people, throwing water at everything that moves.

You might slow down, let them have their fun and then go your way!

But if you are hammered, driving with three persons and at unreasonable speed and are not aware of things, going on a few meters ahead...that's when the trouble starts!

And IF you are on a motocy on Songhkhran and you absolutely HAVE to go somewhere at high - speed...well...you should not be on a motocy!

All these half@r$ed measures, that will now be taken, are just to save face for the police.

And all you people who go "finally...something will be done about those unruly party- people", play right into the hands of these face- saving morons!

You Germans are so civilized and orderly..................a good thing too.:thumbsup:

So...here we go again!
All the grumpies will celebrate this inane BS, because they can't deal with or plan for a few days of mayhem!

Every year in February, especially the western part of the country celebrates Fasching or Karneval!
Why is that?
Because in my homecountry, you get caught drunk -driving...you loose your license and you are fined!
And in my homecountry, if you want to get out of your self- inflicted mess and you would hand the friendly police- officer a 50 Euro- note...you'd be in more trouble, then you were before!

I am 100% sure - having lived here for 10 years- that it is not really a matter of water- splashing, but of sensible and sober driving!
If you are sober and can adjust to the situation quickly. you would be (mostly ) aware of a gang of party- people, throwing water at everything that moves.
But if you are hammered, driving with three persons and at unreasonable speed and are not aware of things, going on a few meters ahead...that's when the trouble starts!
And IF you are on a motocy on Songhkhran and you absolutely HAVE to go somewhere at high - speed...well...you should not be on a motocy!

All these half@r$ed measures, that will now be taken, are just to save face for the police.
And all you people who go "finally...something will be done about those unruly party- people", play right into the hands of these face- saving morons!
You really expect anyone would read your essay?

2 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:
8 hours ago, DM07 said:
So...here we go again!

Why is that?

You really expect anyone would read your essay?

I did and agree with him

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

"Songkram"  - roughly the Thai word for WAR, with a one letter difference from Songkran, it seems almost appropriate.

"Water War Festival."

Sorry to be pedantic ratcatcher but there are 3 diferences regarding letters - songkran is kor kai but songkhram is khor khwai, a much softer sound.  n instead of m as you mention ,and finally songkran has the letter  dtor dtao at the end though admittedly it is not pronounced.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bannork said:

Sorry to be pedantic ratcatcher but there are 3 diferences regarding letters - songkran is kor kai but songkhram is khor khwai, a much softer sound.  n instead of m as you mention ,and finally songkran has the letter  dtor dtao at the end though admittedly it is not pronounced.

Khor, I like your kwai in your avatar. :thumbsup: Need a couple for my, whatever it is called.

5ab3a2c50f5a5_cart2(2).thumb.jpg.b91d0704acdfe4d6acb199e09aac8a8a.jpg

Edited by ratcatcher
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Laugh! Up here in the far North the majority of the 'festival' takes place on the roads. Pick-ups all loaded up with people and water barrels go out in search of the same while negotiating the stationary sites along the road manned by everyone from 4 to 40 years old. They stop at designated places on the river to stock up on booze and eat, then out again. Its mobile water warfare for many days with some kids playing for 2 weeks out of boredom.

19 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Khor, I like your kwai in your avatar. :thumbsup: Need a couple for my, whatever it is called.

5ab3a2c50f5a5_cart2(2).thumb.jpg.b91d0704acdfe4d6acb199e09aac8a8a.jpg

You can have two, a mother with her calf. Much cheaper than Sin Sot for you.Please page me. 

If you want that two buffaloes are pulling the cart, you'll need a Yoke that goes over their necks.

On 3/21/2018 at 8:22 PM, Lungstib said:

Laugh! Up here in the far North the majority of the 'festival' takes place on the roads. Pick-ups all loaded up with people and water barrels go out in search of .....

fun! fun! fun!

nothing beats riding a bicycle in 35-degree weather, and having a pickup zoom

by doing 80 kmh, when idiots dump buckets of ice-cold water as they speed

by from behind.

15 hours ago, markaoffy said:

Smash up a water gun if you get targetted! I have done it before

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Tough guy,eh...how old was the kid,and I suspect he was alone.

regards worgeordie

• Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:53 PM, Wilsonandson said:

Glad to hear it, well done! No more drunken gangs of youths throwing buckets of water into on coming motorcyclists and covering the ones that stop with talcum powder in the eyes.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcoEbLrvzTUq6IDoeQH8O

I think riding a motorbike into a crowd at Songkran should be 'let the driver beware'. it certainly not a smart thing to do. Very dangerous. I think the driver knows what he is doing but, DO NOT DO IT. I would guess you don't need a law for stupidity but I have been wrong in the past.

On 3/28/2018 at 7:41 AM, ebean001 said:

I think riding a motorbike into a crowd at Songkran should be 'let the driver beware'. it certainly not a smart thing to do. Very dangerous. I think the driver knows what he is doing but, DO NOT DO IT. I would guess you don't need a law for stupidity but I have been wrong in the past.

the driver is driving because he has to get somewhere,

the attackers should be charged with assault and attempted murder,

or in case the motorcyclist die from the crash, premeditated murder

• Like 2

On 21/3/2561 at 7:53 PM, Wilsonandson said:

Glad to hear it, well done! No more drunken gangs of youths throwing buckets of water into on coming motorcyclists and covering the ones that stop with talcum powder in the eyes.

Drunken gangs of youth, I believe since everyone is doing it trying to pin point certain groups is a waste of time

On 3/21/2018 at 7:53 PM, Wilsonandson said:

Should have your helmet on as it is the law then you wouldn't get talc in your eyes!!!!