Quoting Twitter

tebee

I'd just like a little advice. I had had a post removed for violating fair use guidelines ( which I must admit never knew existed)  when I quoted what someone said on a Twitter thread. 

The suggestion was that I could use up to three sentences and then use a link. The problem with this is it would have needed to be 6 links as it was spread over several tweets.

I thought things said on Twitter were considered to be public statements and effectively in the public domain , so copyright considerations did not apply? I must admit I did not identify the quote as coming from twitter so your moderator could not have known this.

If  want to do the same again should identify it as such or do you consider twitter statements to have copyright protection? Should I instead just paraphrase it in my own words ? 

When copy-pasting text from any web page, including pages on social media sites, always give a link to the source.

Twitter posts are currently limited to 140 characters and therefore hardly ever exceed three sentences and even if a post does, I see no problem with quoting its entire text. Often, eg in news articles, I see Twitter posts shown as images (screenshots)

Yea, I'd actually copied an entire  Twitter thread of 6 posts, so a little more than 3 sentences - hence it would have needed 6 links to replace it.

Maybe a screenshot is the way to go then.