How much cash with Visa Card from ATM?

THAIPHUKET

A thought more for the emergency event that more money is needed on the spot than available on Thai account=

M y Thai banks = SBC; BkkBank.

How much cash can be withdrawn with German Visa Card from ATM?

What is the limit difference compared to a German EC Card?

Are you asking about a credit or debit Visa card?  The card/bank sets a daily limit in most countries.  As for the ATM Bangkok Bank can dispense 25 bills - others 20-30 seems to be normal range - for more you would have to use card again (if you do not exceeded your limit).

For emergency cards often can pay more to a merchant or hospital than they allow for cash withdrawal.  Your card should have that information available to you.

Your "card-issuing bank" sets a limit as to how much you can withdraw per day/transaction.   For example, U.S. cards are usually $500 or $1000 per day/transaction from an ATM.

Then, whatever ATM you use in the world will have a max withdrawal per transaction which is completely unrelated to whatever limit your card-issuing bank sets.   The ATM owner sets this limit.

Thai bank ATM withdrawal limits range from Bt20K to Bt30K per transaction.   Like Bangkok Bank is Bt25K,  Krungsri Bank is Bt30K, Thai Military Bank 30K, etc....etc.   I think AEON ATMs are now Bt20K.   

But don't try to withdrawal Bt30K say from a ATM allowing up Bt30K if your "card-issuing bank" allows a lower amount like say a $500 equivalent which is around Bt15K...the transaction will just fail not because you exceeded the ATM's limit, but because you exceed the card-issuing bank's limit. 

Summary: both your card-issuing bank and whatever ATM you are using has limits.   Trying to exceed either one will results in a failed transaction.

Edited by Pib

Keep in mind your card-issuing bank may have a per day/transaction limit on counter withdrawals.   For my U.S. "debit" cards the daily limit is $1000 whether via ATM or counter withdrawal.     But that is just my bank....other banks have different limits....varies from bank to bank.

Now for "credit" cards it may be different....they may allow more via counter withdrawal compared to ATM.  For example, below is actual quote from a customer support rep at one of my U.S. banks/credit union in response to what are my daily "cash" limit on the "credit card" I have with them.  I also have some bank accounts with the bank.  Note: I'm not talking purchases; I'm talking getting cash.  Below is the rep's answer....note the last two bullets which talk ATM and counter withdrawals (financial institution)...note I can get twice as much per day/transaction if doing a counter withdrawal.  The first bullet deals with drawing a cash advance from the card to deposit directly into my bank account with them.   Just an example on how the cash advance limits can vary depending on how and what you are using the cash advance for.

Members may advance up to $5,000 into a checking, share, or Money Market Savings Account.

A member may do a cash advance withdraw up to $1,000 per day from a ATM.

A member may withdraw up to $2,000 per day from a financial institution.

Now above is talking the limits set by your card-issuing home country bank.  The Thai bank will also have some limit but it will probably be much, much higher than your card-issuing bank's limit so the Thai bank limit should not be a player.

Best you first ask your card-issuing bank as to what the different daily limits are on your card.  It varies from bank to bank.   Can save you some embarrassment of going into a Thai bank, asking for a chunk of money but the transaction rejects.  Your first response might be to think "damn Thai bank"....but no, probably what is happening you are asking for more than your card-issuing bank allows and the transaction rejection came from your home country bank.   

Happened to me once because I asked for more than my daily limit on one of my credit cards (a no fee card even on a cash advance) because stupid me was under the impression my daily cash limit was like one-third of my daily "purchase" limit which was one-third of my line of credit.   My line of credit was $15K so I though my daily cash withdrawal limit would be $5K---wrong!!  It turned out to be a lower amount for "cash."  Summary you will probably have different cash advance and purchase limits on your cards.  Get the limits info from your card-issuing bank to avoid self-inflicted transaction rejections.

Edited by Pib

My Bank in US sets limit for ATM withdrawals. You can call bank and they can increase your daily limit according to there guidelines. My bank will allow up to $2000.00 a day but you need to ask bank. 

Be be careful of cash advance on Credit  Cards. I wanted a cash advance the bank had me call them before approving. They said a cash 

advance will change you interest on amount advanced to a very high 

interest rate and instead of the interest rate accumulating in 30days

it starts immediately. 

My Bank in US sets limit for ATM withdrawals. You can call bank and they can increase your daily limit according to there guidelines. My bank will allow up to $2000.00 a day but you need to ask bank. 

Be be careful of cash advance on Credit  Cards. I wanted a cash advance the bank had me call them before approving. They said a cash 
advance will change you interest on amount advanced to a very high 
interest rate and instead of the interest rate accumulating in 30days
it starts immediately. 
These are important details. Appreciated!

Sent from my Pixel using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On the 14th of March I went to find a Citibank ATM at the Crystal Phase 3 mall on Ram Inthra. I asked a Citibank greeter where the ATM was located, she directed me around a corner.  Withoul looking I proceeded to withdraw my usual ฿30,000 withdrawal, I was surprised when I was limited to ฿20,000 or 25,000 with a ฿220 fee. Then I noticed it was a Bangkok Bank ATM. I returned to Citibank where a different employee directed me inside the bank.

I think my experience may answer your question. If not sorry. 

11 hours ago, Pib said:

Keep in mind your card-issuing bank may have a per day/transaction limit on counter withdrawals.   For my U.S. "debit" cards the daily limit is $1000 whether via ATM or counter withdrawal.     But that is just my bank....other banks have different limits....varies from bank to bank.

Now for "credit" cards it may be different....they may allow more via counter withdrawal compared to ATM.  For example, below is actual quote from a customer support rep at one of my U.S. banks/credit union in response to what are my daily "cash" limit on the "credit card" I have with them.  I also have some bank accounts with the bank.  Note: I'm not talking purchases; I'm talking getting cash.  Below is the rep's answer....note the last two bullets which talk ATM and counter withdrawals (financial institution)...note I can get twice as much per day/transaction if doing a counter withdrawal.  The first bullet deals with drawing a cash advance from the card to deposit directly into my bank account with them.   Just an example on how the cash advance limits can vary depending on how and what you are using the cash advance for.

Now above is talking the limits set by your card-issuing home country bank.  The Thai bank will also have some limit but it will probably be much, much higher than your card-issuing bank's limit so the Thai bank limit should not be a player.

Best you first ask your card-issuing bank as to what the different daily limits are on your card.  It varies from bank to bank.   Can save you some embarrassment of going into a Thai bank, asking for a chunk of money but the transaction rejects.  Your first response might be to think "damn Thai bank"....but no, probably what is happening you are asking for more than your card-issuing bank allows and the transaction rejection came from your home country bank.   

Happened to me once because I asked for more than my daily limit on one of my credit cards (a no fee card even on a cash advance) because stupid me was under the impression my daily cash limit was like one-third of my daily "purchase" limit which was one-third of my line of credit.   My line of credit was $15K so I though my daily cash withdrawal limit would be $5K---wrong!!  It turned out to be a lower amount for "cash."  Summary you will probably have different cash advance and purchase limits on your cards.  Get the limits info from your card-issuing bank to avoid self-inflicted transaction rejections.

I understand my Citibank US cash wd limit is $850 per day, however I often withdraw ฿30,000 which has been as high as $1095.00. That even exceeds a $1000 limit. Perhaps since they are Citithai maybe my bank classifies it as a purchase instead of cash withdraw ???

5 hours ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I understand my Citibank US cash wd limit is $850 per day, however I often withdraw ฿30,000 which has been as high as $1095.00. That even exceeds a $1000 limit. Perhaps since they are Citithai maybe my bank classifies it as a purchase instead of cash withdraw ???

I would bet your CitiBank US cash limit is probably $1000.  Never heard of a US debit card limit being set at $850...that's just an odd number....buy hey, anything it possible.  $1000 and $500 cash withdrawal limits are commonly used....occasionally I've heard of $300. 

A Bt30K withdrawal that hits your account with a $1095 charge converts to an effective exchange rate of 27.4 baht/dollar....the exchange rate has not been that low for many, many years.....like back to around before  1997 just before the financial crisis hit Thailand....before Thailand had to devalue the baht.  Before 1997 the exchange rate had been around 25-27 baht for a long time...and even lower before that...around 20 baht.   See historical snapshot below.

Now I guess it possible you might have withdrawn some money when the baht was around Bt30/dollar" in recent times and if your Citibank card has a foreign transaction fee  that would effectively lower your exchange.  Citibank has different accounts/packages with different fees, but looking at their primary terms of agreement for most accounts their debit card has a 3% foreign transaction fee....see partial quote below.  And "if" below fee applies even it the foreign transaction is processed in dollars like in a DCC transaction then you could really be getting hit with around a 6% fee---ouch!  

Transactions Made Outside the U.S. and Puerto Rico ATM Cash and POS Transactions Outside the U.S: Transaction Charge. Whenever you use your Citibank® Banking Card outside of the U.S. and Puerto Rico to get cash at an ATM or to purchase goods or services, we will apply a foreign exchange fee equal to 3% of the transaction amount (including credits and reversals). This fee is waived for Citigold, Citi Priority, Citi Private Bank, International Personal Banking, Citigold® International, Citigold® Private Client and Global Executive Banking customers. Please refer to “Other Fees and Charges for All Accounts” in the Marketplace Addendum 

Recommend your review your Citibank's foreign transaction fee policy and it's daily withdrawal/purchase limits.    

Money coming out of an ATM is definitely not coded as a purchase.

See historical USD-THB exchange rate below.

Capture.JPG.56c5f1f6b8b72764194fc2c640963e12.JPG

Edited by Pib

8 hours ago, Pib said:

I would bet your CitiBank US cash limit is probably $1000.  Never heard of a US debit card limit being set at $850...that's just an odd number....buy hey, anything it possible.  $1000 and $500 cash withdrawal limits are commonly used....occasionally I've heard of $300. 

A Bt30K withdrawal that hits your account with a $1095 charge converts to an effective exchange rate of 27.4 baht/dollar....the exchange rate has not been that low for many, many years.....like back to around before  1997 just before the financial crisis hit Thailand....before Thailand had to devalue the baht.  Before 1997 the exchange rate had been around 25-27 baht for a long time...and even lower before that...around 20 baht.   See historical snapshot below.

Now I guess it possible you might have withdrawn some money when the baht was around Bt30/dollar" in recent times and if your Citibank card has a foreign transaction fee  that would effectively lower your exchange.  Citibank has different accounts/packages with different fees, but looking at their primary terms of agreement for most accounts their debit card has a 3% foreign transaction fee....see partial quote below.  And "if" below fee applies even it the foreign transaction is processed in dollars like in a DCC transaction then you could really be getting hit with around a 6% fee---ouch!  

Recommend your review your Citibank's foreign transaction fee policy and it's daily withdrawal/purchase limits.    

Money coming out of an ATM is definitely not coded as a purchase.

See historical USD-THB exchange rate below.

Capture.JPG.56c5f1f6b8b72764194fc2c640963e12.JPG

I am not charged a ftf. I may have mis stated the amounts it is also possible I withdrew ฿35,000. But I just checked with my bank and my daily wd limit is $2000. But when I first opened the basic account about 8 years ago the daily limit was $850.