Stained tiles.

up2you2

On emptying my pool I have noticed that the tiles at the foot of my steps are discoloured - see attachments.

So I thought that it would be a good idea to call in the forensics.
Any ideas please?

009.jpg.1343d1d9630ef765c2c5e9d6293d384d.jpg
012.thumb.jpg.d460d8ab27e506dfb01d7937cac0f0f5.jpg
013.thumb.jpg.8d3d95319edfc2f65bd6926c3f20e072.jpg
Bummer. Double bummer not knowing about the TOA sealer as well.

How old is the pool, and are the tiles real swimming pool tiles?
Could you have had lots of debris lying in that part of the pool for a while?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, carlyai said:

Bummer. Double bummer not knowing about the TOA sealer as well.

How old is the pool, and are the tiles real swimming pool tiles?
Could you have had lots of debris lying in that part of the pool for a while?

Eleven year old pool, authentic swimming pool tiles, no debris as such lying in this specific area.

What I do think might have happened, is that there was a leak in the steps above it, then this water came down to this area, then reacted with the tiles.
The chlorine has left what looks like a salt mark on the edges of these tiles.

Hopefully with the new sealed granite steps above it, this problem won't get any worse.
Thankfully when the pool is filled, you cannot see it.

Eleven year old pool, authentic swimming pool tiles, no debris as such lying in this specific area.

What I do think might have happened, is that there was a leak in the steps above it, then this water came down to this area, then reacted with the tiles.
The chlorine has left what looks like a salt mark on the edges of these tiles.

Hopefully with the new sealed granite steps above it, this problem won't get any worse.
Thankfully when the pool is filled, you cannot see it.

Great you don't see it. Are they Kera tiles?
I get salt looking marks around the outside of the pool where the water splashes over sometimes, but the marks wash away.

My bet is staining from iron in the water. Seen it many times. Had to fully re-tile a pool that all the tiles where stained after one yr from iron. (Crap tiles though) Chlorine oxidizes the iron & turns it into rust. It is in the water all over Sth East Asia. If it is on the surface, citric acid will do the job (Vitamin C). If it is behind the glaze, you have to replace or put up with it!! (You said you can[t see when full of water then don't worry about it)!!

Best to have "Eco Clear" recycled plate glass as your filter media. Takes the iron out of the water!!

Zeolite does to, but Eco is better!!

My bet is staining from iron in the water. Seen it many times. Had to fully re-tile a pool that all the tiles where stained after one yr from iron. (Crap tiles though) Chlorine oxidizes the iron & turns it into rust. It is in the water all over Sth East Asia. If it is on the surface, citric acid will do the job (Vitamin C). If it is behind the glaze, you have to replace or put up with it!! (You said you can[t see when full of water then don't worry about it)!!

Best to have "Eco Clear" recycled plate glass as your filter media. Takes the iron out of the water!!
Zeolite does to, but Eco is better!!
I think you're correct again.

I've got 2 large ( like the big oxyacetaline bottles, one with zeolite and one sand) and a big blue filter from the output of my aquifer water storage tank. I top up the pool from this water.

How often should I backwash/change the zealite?
Can I buy the other medium you suggest on line?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, carlyai said:

I think you're correct again.

I've got 2 large ( like the big oxyacetaline bottles, one with zeolite and one sand) and a big blue filter from the output of my aquifer water storage tank. I top up the pool from this water.

How often should I backwash/change the zealite?
Can I buy the other medium you suggest on line?

Thanks.

Zeolite will last for about 7 yrs depending on how bad the iron is. Unfortunately if the iron is bad then a lot less. It builds up on the particles and won't backwash out. Basically you need to run a salt brine through the Zeolite to recharge it electrically and this loosens the iron off and then it can be back washed. Best & easiest to just change it.

Not sure you can buy "Eco Clear" recycled plate glass on line.

Where does it have to be shipped to?

You have to be carefull that you get the right product as well. It is easy to make a mistake and get recycled bottle glass!! (Big difference)

Cheers

1 hour ago, Bagwain said:

You have to be carefull that you get the right product as well. It is easy to make a mistake and get recycled bottle glass!! (Big difference)

As we disgust before Bagwain, the online pool company (here) didn't state whether it was recycled bottle glass or plate glass - That's how I ended up with bottle glass

Oh & by the way you still haven't mentioned the difference

Is it in Performance or Lasting wear

You need 80% of what the required sand is.

This is on the spec sheet on side of filter.

Bags are 20 Kg & are 1,100 Plus freight.

I suspect that will be around 200 baht a bag.

PM me if you want me to supply & I will go to Kerry Express and get price on freight.

(Brochure attached. The media is actually white not brown as in the picture)!

Not sure where you closest pool shop would be.

There is one in Surin. They may have it?

Cheers

Eco Clear Brochure.pdf

You need 80% of what the required sand is.
This is on the spec sheet on side of filter.
Bags are 20 Kg & are 1,100 Plus freight.
I suspect that will be around 200 baht a bag.
PM me if you want me to supply & I will go to Kerry Express and get price on freight.
(Brochure attached. The media is actually white not brown as in the picture)!

Not sure where you closest pool shop would be.
There is one in Surin. They may have it?

Cheers
Eco Clear Brochure.pdf
Thanks very much and I'll get back to you. Sonkran is apon us with family and grandkids and all, plus the added disadvantage of this year being the second blessing of the house...or some special event.

For those who don't know, anyway of keeping the precipitating iron from bore water, out of the house and pool water is a must. And if there is a way to do this better then that's the way to go.

Archived