Avoid a trip out of the country when changing schools?

Hi Everyone

Once again a topic about whether I can possible avoid a trip out of the country when changing schools.

I do have a Non-B visa for my current school work as a teacher.

On June-15, the contract runs out. I am going to change schools. The new contract at another school starts August-1.

Can I simply trade in my current Non-B visa with a new Non-B visa at the local Immigration office?

Or do I have to leave the country to secure a new Non-B visa in Laos with the papers provided by my future school?

Or can I bridge the time between my last working day at the old school on June-15 until August-1 with a tourist visa secured in Laos in June? I would then hold the

tourist visa until it is converted into a Non-B by the local immigration office.

I really wonder how this is going to work. I want to avoid to travel to Laos, because of time constraints.

Tx

PK

You need to make it clear whether your current permission to stay is 90 days from a Non ‘B’ visa entry, or a 1 year extension of stay issued by local immigration based on your job/WP.

Edited by elviajero

With the long time gap between the old and new jost your only choice will may be a to go out for a tourist visa. But if the new employer was willing to supply the supporting documents for a non-b visa you could get one instead of the tourist visa and then apply for an extension when you start the new job.

If your new job was already arranged by the new employer by doing a work permit application to get a work permit application approval letter and other supporting documents it would be possible to cancel your current extension and apply for a new one on the same day.

• Like 1

Yes, I did that once. I met my old employer in the Immigration office, finished with them, then sat there and waited for the new employer to join me an hour later.  You need to stay on good terms with your old employer. And I think both jobs need to be in the same province, or at least adjacent provinces.

• 2 years later...