Why so many finnish in chiang mai?

newbietraveller

I have been now staying at chiang mai two months in this year and i have been in here before 3 years ago.

Now in here is some reason so many people from finland. Mostly i have been see them at bar or restaurant. I remember 3 years ago here wasn't even close that much finnish than now. I ask from some of them why and they didn't know reason. Im from sweden and i have been meet only one person from sweden but about 50 person from finland. Many of them even living in here :o

Finland is even smaller country than sweden (over 5 million people in finland).

Edited by newbietraveller

OP, there are pockets of people from certain countries all over Thailand, people tend to congregate around a bar or restaurant that serves food, has the football from their home country. Word of mouth, people go home and recommend an area, a soi, a guest house to their countrymen . 

Other parts of Chiang Mai probably have mostly Swedish tourists, others Australian etc. Where I am in Jomtien its little Italy, lots of Italian restaurants etc.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

A flame post,troll post and answers to them have been removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

I dont know why I remember this but Sweden lost the most people in the 2004 Tsunami, other than the countries directly effected, something like 500 people. Maybe thats an indication of where they tend to visit.

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2018 at 2:26 PM, cmsally said:

All the Swedish are on Koh Lanta !

They used to be on Phuket. Even 30 years ago it was common to meet 1/2 Thai - 1/2 Swedish people all over the place. Many of them, even then, were 2nd generation. The Swedes were there very early on.