Thai govt unlikely to ban deadly farm chemical

webfact

7 hours ago, Bkkthebest said:

Are the organic food in Thailand tainted as well? 

5 hours ago, xylophone said:

According to a couple of surveys over the past couple of years YES............and in some cases the "organic" stuff was just as heavily contaminated as the "normal" contaminated stuff on sale in supermarkets and farmers markets.

This is too sad. Who is going to retire in Thailand if that is the case? I hope that not 100% organic food is tainted. 

1 hour ago, Bkkthebest said:

This is too sad. Who is going to retire in Thailand if that is the case? I hope that not 100% organic food is tainted. 

You may get lucky with organic labelled food from the Royal Project(s)...............?

On 26/3/2561 at 12:50 PM, bsdthai said:

have proof of the soil this stuff is used on drastically depletes nutrients also. 1000 bananas wont grow on an old sugar cane field my wife uses . But all around that no problems!

Think you might have your chemicals mixed up,you don't use paraquat on sugar cane.

It most likely is Attrazine your bananas don't like.

Paraquat is great if used for its intentions.

I use it to stop seed set on plants i would like to survive and stop soil erosion at the same time.

But that's all it is used for.

We use another 3-4 types of herbicides at times  depending on what crop is going to be established.

Farmers need chemicals,cuts down on the tractor exhaust fumes.

Would gladly give up using chemicals if you paid us 5 times the price we get now. 

1 hour ago, Bkkthebest said:

Tainted?  Tainted with what?

Organic food standards in most countries simply require that growers not use synthetic inputs. That still leaves plenty of room for "natural" pesticides like heavy metal sulfates and ammonia-based surfactants, which are permitted in organic farming.  Even some synthetic substances are granted exceptions in certain cases, like when there is no "natural" option available.  The USDA Organic label means that the product is "at least 95% organic", whatever that means: USDA: Allowed and Prohibited Substances in Organic Farming

As you can see, the standard is already pretty loose.  I'm not sure why that makes you feel any better.

5aba2486120fa_usdaorganictrapcomic.png.d475af34e7a301858759d76332874073.png

30 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Think you might have your chemicals mixed up,you don't use paraquat on sugar cane.

It most likely is Attrazine your bananas don't like.

Paraquat is great if used for its intentions.

I use it to stop seed set on plants i would like to survive and stop soil erosion at the same time.

But that's all it is used for.

We use another 3-4 types of herbicides at times  depending on what crop is going to be established.

Farmers need chemicals,cuts down on the tractor exhaust fumes.

Would gladly give up using chemicals if you paid us 5 times the price we get now. 

Or if you could actually find the workers to weed  by hand which is what Ive done for 5  years until recently when huge  staff shortages  forced me to spray weedkillers + they no longer want to do this  kind of work at any price

19 hours ago, attrayant said:

Tainted?  Tainted with what?

Organic food standards in most countries simply require that growers not use synthetic inputs. That still leaves plenty of room for "natural" pesticides like heavy metal sulfates and ammonia-based surfactants, which are permitted in organic farming.  Even some synthetic substances are granted exceptions in certain cases, like when there is no "natural" option available.  The USDA Organic label means that the product is "at least 95% organic", whatever that means: USDA: Allowed and Prohibited Substances in Organic Farming

As you can see, the standard is already pretty loose.  I'm not sure why that makes you feel any better.

5aba2486120fa_usdaorganictrapcomic.png.d475af34e7a301858759d76332874073.png

I never trusted USDA organic. USDA organic is corrupted. I like the organic standard of Europe. They called it EU organic. Even Australia Organic is preferred over USDA. 

Just now, Bkkthebest said:

I never trusted USDA organic. USDA organic is corrupted. I like the organic standard of Europe. They called it EU organic. Even Australia Organic is preferred over USDA. 

Distrustful of the UDSA and FDA but somehow you were shocked to hear that Thailand isn't up to your standards?  Okay...

Anyway Australia's list of allowed inputs doesn't make me feel any better.  They also permit the use of heavy metal sulfates and ammonia-based surfactants.  Their list shares a lot of similarities with the USDA's.

http://austorganic.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/ACOS_2017_V1.pdf

22 minutes ago, Bkkthebest said:

I have a question for you guys. Would you retired in Thailand in spite of all the chemical laden food that Thailand grows and distributed to your plates?

I think most of us in these forums already have.  Thailand's life expectancy is 75, which is above the global average.  Just wash your produce and stop being so chemophobic.  

1 hour ago, attrayant said:

Distrustful of the UDSA and FDA but somehow you were shocked to hear that Thailand isn't up to your standards?  Okay...

Anyway Australia's list of allowed inputs doesn't make me feel any better.  They also permit the use of heavy metal sulfates and ammonia-based surfactants.  Their list shares a lot of similarities with the USDA's.

http://austorganic.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/ACOS_2017_V1.pdf

I think most of us in these forums already have.  Thailand's life expectancy is 75, which is above the global average.  Just wash your produce and stop being so chemophobic.  

That is not called chemophobic. That is called being health-conscious and afford to be one.

That is Thailand's own life expectancy gauge but not mine. People do not have to follow their countries' residence life expectation on how long one can live to. 

It is good to think of life being as simple as just washing the produce will have your produce as good as organic ones. It isn't that simple. i wish it was.

Edited by Bkkthebest

On Wed Mar 28 2018 at 1:52 PM, attrayant said:

I would put any stock on that number..i know of a few that have popped off in thier mid 60s, one who told me make sure you really really wash your fruit and vegs and he had a fruit farm.. so annecdotally imo this place is toxic at all levels.

2 minutes ago, kaorop said:

i know of a few that have popped off in thier mid 60s, one who told me make sure you really really wash your fruit and vegs and he had a fruit farm.. so annecdotally imo this place is toxic at all levels.

Your anecdote does not invalidate the data.  That's the average life expectancy.  I could just as easily say that I know a few who have lived into their 90s, so this place is life-sustaining at all levels.

The lesson to be learned is don't base your fears on a few anecdotes.

7 minutes ago, kaorop said:

I would put any stock on that number..

Comes from WTO data 2015 published in May 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy#cite_note-11

Thailand ranked 70th out of 183 countries - tied with Sri Lanka. Hooray!

But such life expectancy figures represent a composite of affects from a multitude of factors such as income, healthcare, government regulations, traffic mortality, work safety, nutritional habits that affect overall life expectancy. To attribute life expectancy published by WTO to any one factor such as food toxicity from pesticides is unjustified.

For example the use of pesticides by the Netherlands was 9.4kb/ha (2000)1 with a life expectancy of 82 vs. use of pesticides by Thailand was 8.4kg/ha (2012)2 with a life expectancy of 75.

1http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Agriculture/Pesticide-use

2http://ap.fftc.agnet.org/ap_db.php?id=727