Documents needed for Non-Immigrant (OA) from Chicago Consulate

http://www.thaiconsulatechicago.org/pages-non-immigrant-visa-eng.html

On the website of the Royal Thai Consulate in Chicago it says the following:

VIIRetirement in Thailand, the applicant must be at least 50 years old and must submit documents as follows :

• documentation showing proof of retirement.
  • bank statement or monthly/year income.
  • a copy of the applicant’s criminal record from the local police department.
  • a certificate of health.
  • These documents must be certified by a Notary Public and certify true signature of the notary public by the Secretary of State.
I have all of these required documents. I understand how to get my police check and birth certificate authenticated by the Secretary of State as its issued by the same state. My question is how do I get the retirement/income letters from Veterans Affairs and Social Security authenticated? Since they are printer generated forms how does a notary authenticate them?
Thanks in advance for your help

Edited by TDCNINJA
spelling

Can't you apply in Washington Embassy? I don't think they require any authentication

http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-oa/

1. Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must be valid for at least 18 months    and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page).
2. Visa application form completely filled out (black and blue ink only) (Download)
3. Addition Application form (Download)
4. Medical certificate showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14(B.E. 2535) certificate shall be valid for not more than three months (Download)
5. Two photo’s passport-size photographs (2″x2″) (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat will not be accepted). Photographs must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses. Photos must be taken within 6 months.
6. Bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht In the case of submitting a bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is required
7.  Letter of verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification have to valid for not more than three months and must be issued from a state or Federal Bureau of Investigation only. Online criminal record without authorizer’s signature is unacceptable )

26 minutes ago, TDCNINJA said:

I have all of these required documents. I understand how to get my police check and birth certificate authenticated by the Secretary of State as its issued by the same state. My question is how do I get the retirement/income letters from Veterans Affairs and Social Security authenticated? Since they are printer generated forms how does a notary authenticate them?

Just curious, how do you authenticate Police Certificate?

And where did you get the police certificate? Is it from county clerk office or State Police office?

Why do you need a birth certificate?

Edited by onera1961

14 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

And where did you get the police certificate? Is it from county clerk office or State Police office?

Why do you need a birth certificate?

When I did mine, I simply had all of them notified, just like it says.  Presented them to the notary, produce my ID, we sign and initial and he stamped

"These documents must be certified by a Notary Public and certify true signature of the notary public by the Secretary of State."

15 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

http://in.gov/sos/business/4094.htm

Personal/Individual Use:

• Documents notarized or certified as true copies by an Indiana Notary Public (not an exhaustive list):

• Adoption papers
    • School records - School transcripts, report cards or diplomas MUST be signed by a school official and the official's signature MUST be notarized. (School transcripts and diplomas notarization examples)
    • Power of attorney
    • Vehicle titles
    • Police Background Check – Record checks from the Indiana State Police, local sheriffs or police departments must be signed by an official from that office and his/her signature MUST be notarized.  The Secretary of State’s office can NOT authenticate a record check obtained from the Internet or from the FBI.
    • Vital Records
    • Birth/Death: certified by the state deputy at the Indiana State Department of Health
    • Marriage/Divorce, Single Status affidavit: certified by the country clerk where married/divorced, or reside
    • Documents signed by a Circuit Clerks or Circuit Judge (divorce decree, legal name change, etc.) must include the official’s signature, their printed name, and title.

2 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

When I did mine, I simply had all of them notified, just like it says.  Presented them to the notary, produce my ID, we sign and initial and he stamped

"These documents must be certified by a Notary Public and certify true signature of the notary public by the Secretary of State."

Okay, thanks. I think I understand. Go to a notary public, have them make copies of the originals and notarize the copies. Once they notarize the copies, take the copies and the originals to the Secretary of State's office and have them authenticate the notary's signature.

no no.  The Notary is what authenticates things.  A notary is a representative of the secretary of State.  No need for another cycle.  Unless they are asking for some proof that the Notary really is a current Notary, but I did not do that and have never heard of such a thing being done. I guess Notary fraud is possible

13 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

"Authenticating an Indiana Notarization is a simple procedure. Send the original, notarized document to us, along with the completed Authentication Form. Each notarized document will receive a separate apostille or authentication."

Edited by TDCNINJA

9 minutes ago, TDCNINJA said:

Okay, thanks. I think I understand. Go to a notary public, have them make copies of the originals and notarize the copies. Once they notarize the copies, take the copies and the originals to the Secretary of State's office and have them authenticate the notary's signature.

Still confused. Who in Secretary of States Office will authenticate the notary's signature? You have to travel to state capital for that. I have never heard of certifying signature of notary public. I think low IQ officials don't know what they re talking about or don't know how to frame sentence properly. When you call Washington office, ask them if copies need to be certified or not. If you send originals, I don't understand why copies need to be certified.

Edited by onera1961

2 minutes ago, TDCNINJA said:

"Authenticating an Indiana Notarization is a simple procedure. Send the original, notarized document to us, along with the completed Authentication Form. Each notarized document will receive a separate apostille or authentication."

OK.  That is news to me.  If you are in Indiana then do that.  I guess they check on things. Of course, who checks that the check is valid?  I mean, that separate thing could be fake too.  I doubt the consulate would know if it were real or not.  But anyway, if they want that, I am sure some posters here are from the Chicago consulate area and maybe can help you more.  I never needed or did anything like that.  I was dealing with the Miami office over a decade ago.

I can see the forms for medical certificate is different in Washington Embassy and Chicago Consulate. Chicago consulate requires Doctor's signature notarized.  That means, your doc's office must have a notary. Washington Embassy form does not require notarized.

Just now, gk10002000 said:

OK.  That is news to me.  If you are in Indiana then do that.  I guess they check on things. Of course, who checks that the check is valid?  I mean, that separate thing could be fake too.  I doubt the consulate would know if it were real or not.  But anyway, if they want that, I am sure some posters here are from the Chicago consulate area and maybe can help you more.  I never needed or did anything like that.  I was dealing with the Miami office over a decade ago.

If you have a contract that requires a signature, you can sign a document in front of the notary who then certifies and places a seal on the document that certifies that the signature on the document is, indeed, your signature. For documents like a bank statement or an income verification letter, there's no way the Notary can verify a signature. He or she can only attest that a copy of an original document was made and will place a seal to that effect. At least that's how I see it. Could be wrong. It is a bit confusing. I'll call a notary tomorrow and go from there. Surely they deal with this kind of thing all the time.

1 hour ago, TDCNINJA said:

and birth certificate authenticated

You do not need your birth certificate to do the application. You passport is enough to prove your age.

Just go to any notary and ask about doing the others.

You can also write a statement that you certify that all the attached documents are true and correct for a notary to stamp.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can also write a statement that you certify that all the attached documents are true and correct for a notary to stamp.

This is what I did when I got my lifelong visa to India based on my father's Indian Nationality

I had to look up the exact definition of a few things:  Didn't expect to see the Hague Convention mentioned, but thought that was interesting

"An apostille is a certificate authenticating the signature and seal of the officer performing the notarization on a document being sent between countries that have signed the Hague Convention.

Basically, an apostille confirms to the document’s recipient that the individual who notarized the document had a valid commission at the time the document was notarized."

• Thanks 2

Sent my application for long stay O-A visa to Washington DC. DC embassy website does not mention anything about notarization So I did not notarize any documents. They asked for one original and one copy and that's what I sent. Let's wait and see what I get. Documents I sent

1. County police verification

2.Health certificate

3. Bank Statement

4. Letter from bank. Ally Bank calls it account verification letter

5. Application.

6. Additional personal information form

7. Money Order for $200

8. Return Express envelope with 24.70 postage stamps

9. 3 photos (kind of odd, Passport pics are generlly taken in pair. Had to pay double for 4 pics.

10. Original passport.

56 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Sent my application for long stay O-A visa to Washington DC. DC embassy website does not mention anything about notarization So I did not notarize any documents. They asked for one original and one copy and that's what I sent. Let's wait and see what I get. Documents I sent

1. County police verification

2.Health certificate

3. Bank Statement

4. Letter from bank. Ally Bank calls it account verification letter

5. Application.

6. Additional personal information form

7. Money Order for $200

8. Return Express envelope with 24.70 postage stamps

9. 3 photos (kind of odd, Passport pics are generlly taken in pair. Had to pay double for 4 pics.

10. Original passport.

$200 bucks for a visa? wow

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

DC embassy website does not mention anything about notarization

Only Los Angeles and Chicago have the notarization requirement.  The Embassy in Washington and the Consulate in New York do not,  unfortunately they now enforce the geographical location to determine which location will serve you.  So you can't pick to use the location that suits you best  

Analogous to Immigration here, every location is the law on to themselves 

The US Consulate in CM follows the Bangkok Embassy's rules to the letter since in the US Foreign Service Law,  Consulates follow the rules of the Embassy,  not local preferences 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Only Los Angeles and Chicago have the notarization requirement.  The Embassy in Washington and the Consulate in New York do not,  unfortunately they now enforce the geographical location to determine which location will serve you.  So you can't pick to use the location that suits you best  

Analogous to Immigration here, every location is the law on to themselves 

The US Consulate in CM follows the Bangkok Embassy's rules to the letter since in the US Foreign Service Law,  Consulates follow the rules of the Embassy,  not local preferences 

I Live in Surin and never had a problem using the US Consulate in Chiang Mai.

13 hours ago, onera1961 said:

That is alarming. Do you think they will return my application and keep the money order ($200)? I live in Southern Illinois.

Maybe you will get lucky and Washington will process your application, in any event,  I am sure that they won't keep  your $200, and they should return your forms since each Thai entity has slightly different forms 

31 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Maybe you will get lucky and Washington will process your application, in any event,  I am sure that they won't keep  your $200, and they should return your forms since each Thai entity has slightly different forms 

I would like to think your correct but I would not bet on it. Just a couple years back the MFA directed Thai embassy's and consult's world wide to upgrade their systems on issuing of visa's. For the US this meant that a honorary consult such as Portland or Boston could not issue a O-Muti. and the 4 Royal Thai Consular Office being Washington D.C.,New York, Chicago and Los Angeles were directed to only except mail in application from there given area of responsibility. Now if your a walk in and live on the other side of the country they will process you but not by mail.

9 hours ago, khwaibah said:

I would like to think your correct but I would not bet on it. Just a couple years back the MFA directed Thai embassy's and consult's world wide to upgrade their systems on issuing of visa's. For the US this meant that a honorary consult such as Portland or Boston could not issue a O-Muti. and the 4 Royal Thai Consular Office being Washington D.C.,New York, Chicago and Los Angeles were directed to only except mail in application from there given area of responsibility. Now if your a walk in and live on the other side of the country they will process you but not by mail.

As usual with everything Thailand, their Embassy (in DC) does not have a common sense to put this information in their website. It is always mai pan rai. While this stress-free attitude may be good for many situation, it can also have grave consequences in lots of other circumstances.

15 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

As usual with everything Thailand, their Embassy (in DC) does not have a common sense to put this information in their website. It is always mai pan rai. While this stress-free attitude may be good for many situation, it can also have grave consequences in lots of other circumstances.

It is on the website but you have to look for it. I found it by clicking on consular services and ignoring the drop down menu. It is near the bottom of this page and just says jurisdiction. http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/

I think they will accept your application as long as everything is correct. I can recall reports of them accepting mailed in applications from areas outside their jurisdiction.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2018 at 6:45 AM, ubonjoe said:

It is on the website but you have to look for it. I found it by clicking on consular services and ignoring the drop down menu. It is near the bottom of this page and just says jurisdiction. http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/

I got one year Non-O Multiple Entry Visa from Washington DC. The process was not as daunting as I imagined. Total expense

$200(visa fee) and $24.70x2 for postage.

Did not pay anything for Police Certificate.

An US immigration doctor signed health certificate without doing any lab test. He office said that they are going to charge my insurance. Most probably my insurance won't pay. Then I have to pay it. I extremely happy. No need for any immigration issue in Thailand.