Advice on flying with newborn farang baby

TheMacMan

Hi all...

After some help and advice please.

I have been told conflicting information and am being given the run-around regarding traveling from Phuket to Bangkok with my newborn baby.

I have an appointment with embassy and passport application centre, both in Bangkok.

I need to fly with my wife and baby (who are also NOT Thai!) and all paperwork and Thai birth certificate (plus certified translation) to register and apply for the baby's first passport.

Currently Air Asia and other airlines are saying that a Thai baby with Thai parent can fly to Bangkok from Phuket with just birth certificate.... but a Farang baby must have passport to fly internally in Thailand?

The hospital in Phuket say we can fly with baby & birth certificate to Bangkok to submit all paperwork for the baby's passport and UK registration.

but the airlines say differently..... ???

The airlines also say we need to check with the UK embassy or Thai immigration..... all of which say (orally in phone calls) that it is OK but to check with the airlines...???

Catch 22...

I don't want to turn up at the airport to fly to our scheduled appointment with the UK passport appointment only to be turned away because the baby doesn't have a passport (which is what we are going to Bangkok to arrange in the first place! ?)

I hope that is clear, has anyone had any first hand experience of sorting this out from Phuket to Bangkok?

I think the info you are getting from the airlines is wrong. They may ask you to complete a form to for them to board the flight with just basic info on in it.

Found this on Air Asia's website.

What travel documents do I have to bring for my infant?
Please make sure you have your infant’s passport with at least 6 months validity for international flights. For domestic flights, bring along your infant’s identification card or copy of birth certificate.

Source: https://support.airasia.com/s/article/How-to-add-an-infant-in-my-booking-en?language=en_GB

• Like 1

I had an issue awhile back where my son who was born to a Myanmar mother had to be taken from Chiang Mai to Bangkok for DNA sampling so as I could get his Australian Citizenship and then passport. We had his Thai birth certificate and there appeared to be no issue for him flying and was issued his boarding pass. But Air Asia refused to let his mum fly because her paperwork was not 100% correct. We obtained this paperwork through an agent. So we lost costs of flights, hotel and airport transfers. Went back to agent and told him and he said can fly anywhere within Thailand with the paperwork he had arranged. Again said the airline would not let us. "Your problem" he said and refused to give us money back.

Last month I flew him and myself to Australia but not his mum. I had his Australian passport by this time and I needed his original Thai birth certificate to prove he was born in Thailand as he had no entry stamp, and in fact nothing, in his passport.

Edited by Dazinoz
Extra text.
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

I had an issue awhile back where my son who was born to a Myanmar mother had to be taken from Chiang Mai to Bangkok for DNA sampling so as I could get his Australian Citizenship and then passport. We had his Thai birth certificate and there appeared to be no issue for him flying and was issued his boarding pass. But Air Asia refused to let his mum fly because her paperwork was not 100% correct. We obtained this paperwork through an agent. So we lost costs of flights, hotel and airport transfers. Went back to agent and told him and he said can fly anywhere within Thailand with the paperwork he had arranged. Again said the airline would not let us. "Your problem" he said and refused to give us money back.

Last month I flew him and myself to Australia but not his mum. I had his Australian passport by this time and I needed his original Thai birth certificate to prove he was born in Thailand as he had no entry stamp, and in fact nothing, in his passport.

I remember following your story a while back, glad to hear you finally got the passport for the kid.

Can I ask what of the mother now, can you get her to Oz or is that proving to difficult, or can you or doesn't she want to go ?

19 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

For what its worth:

An airplane is no place for a newborn. Many planes use recirculated air, which means that if one person has a cold, his germs are broadcast throughout the plane by the ventilation system. That's no problem for adults, whose mature immune systems can fight off germs. But an infant's immune system is no match for some of the viruses and bacteria that float around on airplanes and in airports. Might be best practice to wait until your baby is at least 2 months old--and preferably 4-6 months old--before taking a flight.

Just saying.....

For what it’s worth.....some people are better off staying at home....

just saying

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

For what its worth:

An airplane is no place for a newborn. Many planes use recirculated air, which means that if one person has a cold, his germs are broadcast throughout the plane by the ventilation system. That's no problem for adults, whose mature immune systems can fight off germs. But an infant's immune system is no match for some of the viruses and bacteria that float around on airplanes and in airports. Might be best practice to wait until your baby is at least 2 months old--and preferably 4-6 months old--before taking a flight.

Just saying.....

"Many planes use recirculated air, which means that if one person has a cold, his germs are broadcast throughout the plane by the ventilation system."

This has scientifically been proven not correct.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

For what it’s worth.....some people are better off staying at home....

just saying

For what its worth....we are not talking about people

Stay home if you like, as for a new born...as you please, up up and away, up to you, however if it gets ill due to a flight, your the parent, and you will sort it...just saying, each to their own

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"Many planes use recirculated air, which means that if one person has a cold, his germs are broadcast throughout the plane by the ventilation system."

This has scientifically been proven not correct.

Believe what you want, how about when the plane pulls up at the gate and shuts off its system, in such a confined space when every body gets up at the same time and scrambled to get their overhead luggage, breathing air onto each other, coughing, etc, etc

I and my family always wear a face mask, never have an issue, everyone I know that fly's always, and I say always ends up with a cold or flu, explain that, we also used to get colds, until we put on the face masks, like I said, believe what you want. 

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Believe what you want, how about when the plane pulls up at the gate and shuts off its system, in such a confined space when every body gets up at the same time and scrambled to get their overhead luggage, breathing air onto each other, coughing, etc, etc

I and my family always wear a face mask, never have an issue, everyone I know that fly's always, and I say always ends up with a cold or flu, explain that, we also used to get colds, until we put on the face masks, like I said, believe what you want. 

I don't care what you want to believe, but you have been proven wrong.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

For what its worth:

Just saying.....

Yes you are right. My son of 17 months ended up with a cold after the flight. Maybe from the flight maybe not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

I don't care what you want to believe, but you have been proven wrong.

Usually when someone makes a statement,  such as your, i.e. "I don;t care" "you have been proven wrong", they usually are wrong, this is also because they fail to back it up with a link which leads to such evidence, of which no such evidence has been forthcoming from you or anyone else, and for that matter, and until such a time that I am actually proven as being wrong, as you have state, I will continue to "believe" that you are contradicting what you have written above, and because you have stated above, that "I have been proven wrong",  makes me assume that it has something to do with your education or lack of it, that and think you might actually believe you are right, because you think you are right, without actually knowing you are wrong, i.e. we can all live in a world being wrong, if we allow ourselves to, like you do, without researching what you believe to be right, so I will throw that back at yah.

I also note that Danoz #12 has stated that I am right, thx Danoz

Then in your post #13 you state there "is" a small risk, so who is wrong.....lol

You are WRONG/WRONG/WRONG :passifier:

Edited by 4MyEgo

5 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Thanks for the reply, OUCH that has got to hurt, however, as you say, you have given him a better chance of which I am sure he will be ever grateful for, just hope your around long enough to see it, if not, at least you did what most blokes wouldn't have done, kudos to you mate.

Thanks for the kind words. It has been a very hard slog.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

"Everybody gets a cold", total rubbish.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Usually when someone makes a statement,  such as your, i.e. "I don;t care" "you have been proven wrong", they usually are wrong, this is also because they fail to back it up with a link which leads to such evidence, of which no such evidence has been forthcoming from you or anyone else, and for that matter, and until such a time that I am actually proven as being wrong, as you have state, I will continue to "believe" that you are contradicting what you have written above, and because you have stated above, that "I have been proven wrong",  makes me assume that it has something to do with your education or lack of it, that and think you might actually believe you are right, because you think you are right, without actually knowing you are wrong, i.e. we can all live in a world being wrong, if we allow ourselves to, like you do, without researching what you believe to be right, so I will throw that back at yah.

Then in your post #13 you state there "is" a small risk, so who is wrong.....lol

I reacted to your claim 'many people ... ventilation system', which is totally wrong, see provided link.

And no, I don't have the need to start bashing.

Have a nice day.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Does the baby even need to go to the Embassy ?

Dont think they have to, when getting a UK PP

Don't know about a UK passport but my son didn't need to for an Australian one. He had to have a DNA test done for his Citizenship.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

I reacted to your claim 'many people ... ventilation system', which is totally wrong, see provided link.

And no, I don't have the need to start bashing.

Have a nice day.

In addition, of course wearing a face mask does help, since the risk comes from being in proximity to others.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keithpa said:

"Everybody gets a cold", total rubbish.

I agree dont know how many planes I have flown on over the last 30 years but never wore a mask and never got a cold, not even on the long haul flights!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ericthai said:

I agree dont know how many planes I have flown on over the last 30 years but never wore a mask and never got a cold, not even on the long haul flights!

I always get a  bit of a laugh when I see people flying with masks. At least I guess it keeps them from spreading their germs!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Feel better now? You must a treat at parties. :stoner:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ericthai said:

I would often get a runny nose, sometimes would last for weeks, I fly a lot. Then ,instead of wearing on the plane what i would wear around town , in Thailand, just a shirt on top, I tried wearing teashirt, shirt and put on a cardigan, jumper, on the plane, no more runny noses.

20 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

For what its worth:

Just saying.....

For what its worth, its better to travel with your child than leave it home alone.