Trump expels 60 Russians, closes Seattle consulate after UK chemical attack - officials

snoop1130

Trump expels 60 Russians, closes Seattle consulate after UK chemical attack - officials

Reuters Staff

dfd.JPG

A general view of the exterior of the Consulate-General of the Russian Federation in Manhattan in New York City, March 26, 2018. REUTERS/Mike Segar

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday ordered the expulsion of 60 Russians from the United States and closed the Russian consulate in Seattle over a nerve agent attack earlier this month in Britain, senior U.S. officials said.

The order includes 12 Russian intelligence officers from Russia’s mission to the United Nations headquarters in New York and reflects concerns that Russian intelligence activities have been increasingly aggressive, senior U.S. administration officials told reporters, speaking on condition of anonymity.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-3-26
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Germany expels four Russian diplomats after UK chemical attack

Reuters Staff

BERLIN (Reuters) - Germany has expelled four Russian diplomats, the foreign ministry said on Monday, calling the move an act of solidarity with Britain which has accused Moscow of carrying out the nerve agent attack on former double agent Sergei Skripal.

“Today we expelled four Russian diplomats,” the foreign ministry said. “After the poisoning attack in Salisbury, Russia is still not cooperating with the investigation.”

Reporting by Andrea Kenner; Writing by Joseph Nasr; Editing by Michael Nienaber

reuters_logo.jpg
  • Sad 1

Well done. It was about time to not let Russia run on the table, mocking all western societies.  

EU announced that 14 EU countries are expelling Russian diplomats. Further sanctions still in discussion.

Czechs expel three Russian diplomats after UK chemical attack

Reuters Staff

PRAGUE (Reuters) - The Czech Republic will expel three Russian diplomats, Prime Minister Andrej Babis said on Monday, after the European Union backed Britain in blaming Moscow for the poisoning of a former Russian spy in England.

The EU last week collectively condemned the attack and declared in a Brussels summit statement that it was “highly likely” Russia was responsible. Several other European countries and the United States announced expulsions on Monday.

Moscow has denied it was behind the attack on former Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter.

Reporting by Robert Muller; editing by Andrew Roche

reuters_logo.jpg
  • Sad 1

Well done US and Europe he has to know that he cant pull stuff like this without serious consequences.

I still say the UK should pull out if the world cup as well.If only for nothing more then our fans safety.

Arsenal are playing CSKA in Moscow soon let's hope there is no trouble and if there is we should pull out of the world cup.The Russians seem to nationalistic at the moment and I worry about English fans who are planing to go.It was bad enough before let alone now.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, juice777 said:

There is 10 Nato countries in the World cup including 4 previous winners if we all pulled out that would be the end of it.

Moscows reaction to the Olympic boycott in 1980 was to sulk & organize an eastern block boycott of the LA Olympics in 1984.

• Like 1

Moscows reaction to the Olympic boycott in 1980 was to sulk & organize an eastern block boycott of the LA Olympics in 1984.
I know I can just about remember I wae just a boy in 1984

They can't do that this time can they?

It's only Russia who would care if they didn't turn up For the 2022 world cup.

3 minutes ago, evadgib said:

No Eastern bloc now and Russian athletes were banned from the recent Winter Olympics and last years World Athletic Championships. 

They are pretty well isolated these days. Does that make them more dangerous?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Well, given they are never likely to win, unless of course, they are on home soil, with the quality teams sat at home throughout the farce, any future boycott by them  in the World Cup would probably pass unnoticed by many anyway.

Trump pulling the US out would be even more surprising than the diplomats.

Well, given they are never likely to win, unless of course, they are on home soil, with the quality teams sat at home throughout the farce, any future boycott by them  in the World Cup would probably pass unnoticed by many anyway.

Yeah, I can see it now all the other countries pull out and there is only Russia left and they win it because they are the only team and Putin claims a great Victory for mother Russia.

• Like 1

17 countries expel Russian intelligence agents:

US (60), UK (23), Ukraine (13), Canada (4), Germany (4), France (4), Poland (4), Czech Republic (3), Lithuania (3), Netherlands (2), Italy (2), Denmark (2), Estonia (1), Romania (1), Croatia (1), Latvia (1), Finland (1)

11 minutes ago, champers said:

No Eastern bloc now and Russian athletes were banned from the recent Winter Olympics and last years World Athletic Championships. 

They are pretty well isolated these days. Does that make them more dangerous?

Isolation is not good for the country. However it was vital for western world to show unity and stand together. Russia has been trying to disunite the west for years and what today happened was a little token to show that it's not that easy to disunite the western world and values.

Well done western world. This is how we are supposed to work together. 

No doubt Russia will strike back with their own wave of expellations, but Russia's economical situation is not so great that they could keep on fighting against the west forever.

11 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Iraq all over again, no proof at all but need something to distract from local problems.

Nobody has claimed that they have 100% proof of Russia's involvement.

The issue is that the nerve agent used in the attack was produced in Russia, but the Russians are refusing to cooperate with the investigation.

Quote from the German Foreign Ministry ...

“Today we expelled four Russian diplomats,” the foreign ministry said. “After the poisoning attack in Salisbury, Russia is still not cooperating with the investigation.”

Edited by chickenslegs
spelling
  • Thanks 1

Just in my personal opinion, I don't think ANY democratic/non dictatorial country should participate in the World Cup in Russia -- in light of Russia's nerve agent attack in the UK and everything else.

Expelling diplomats isn't enough of a response to a country's use of a nerve agent on foreign soil in an attempted assassination. Boycotting the World Cup in Russia in June and July would be a start, but hopefully not the end. 

It would be great if Russia and North Korea were the only teams to compete in Russia. They could play each other in the one and only match, and finals.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

The Russian authorities have been asked to account for this extremely dangerous nerve agent, and explain how it could have got into the hands of criminals and be used in the UK.

As it is only produced in Russia, and only in very secure laboratories - it should be expected that the Russians cooperate with the investigation, but they have not.

Factual proof can only be provided with the cooperation of the Russian authorities. Thus far they are not inclined to assist. I think we are all entitled to draw our own conclusions about that.

Not to mention, they have a track record before in the UK with the deliberate radiation poisoning murder of Alexander Litvinenko, which was found by formal inquiry to be the work of Russian agents.

And now the current couple, the attempted murder of more Russians who turned to the West with a nerve agent created by and kept by Russia. It's got Russian fingerprints all over it, and Russia's response is to refuse to cooperate and provide any information on the nerve agent.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just in my personal opinion, I don't think ANY democratic/non dictatorial country should participate in the World Cup in Russia -- in light of Russia's nerve agent attack in the UK and everything else.

Expelling diplomats isn't enough of a response to a country's use of a nerve agent on foreign soil in an attempted assassination. Boycotting the World Cup in Russia in June and July would be a start, but hopefully not the end.

Nice to see the EU and USA supporting the UK for a change, and I can see a boycott of the world cup on the horizon, or relocation to Germany, France, UK 

Is Putin really in charge in Russia? or just a puppet for something much more sinister?? They certainly need to sort themselves out

Russians you meet around the world, yes they are a bit rude, but on the whole they want western lifes with all the trimmings, holidays, christmas, fast food and dare i say peace

8 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

The Russian authorities have been asked to account for this extremely dangerous nerve agent, and explain how it could have got into the hands of criminals and be used in the UK.

As it is only produced in Russia, and only in very secure laboratories - it should be expected that the Russians cooperate with the investigation, but they have not.

Factual proof can only be provided with the cooperation of the Russian authorities. Thus far they are not inclined to assist. I think we are all entitled to draw our own conclusions about that.

How about this?

https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201803231062843753-moscow-nerve-gas-russia/

Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov has said that Russia has never had a nerve agent called "Novichok," saying that those who say otherwise do not have full information on the issue.

and

Russia has strongly rejected the accusations and offered to assist in the investigation. However, Moscow's request for samples of the chemical substance used to poison Skripal was denied.

• Haha 1

Nice to see the EU and USA supporting the UK for a change, and I can see a boycott of the world cup on the horizon, or relocation to Germany, France, UK 

Is Putin really in charge in Russia? or just a puppet for something much more sinister?? They certainly need to sort themselves out

Russians you meet around the world, yes they are a bit rude, but on the whole they want western lifes with all the trimmings, holidays, christmas, fast food and dare i say peace
Well this bloke cerintry thinks he is

• Like 1

1 minute ago, janclaes47 said:

How about this?

https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201803231062843753-moscow-nerve-gas-russia/

Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov has said that Russia has never had a nerve agent called "Novichok," saying that those who say otherwise do not have full information on the issue.

and

Russia has strongly rejected the accusations and offered to assist in the investigation. However, Moscow's request for samples of the chemical substance used to poison Skripal was denied.

More lying and deflecting. What various Russian officials have said on this topic has been all over the map at various points in time. One interpretation of the comment you quoted above from Ryabkov was that the nerve agent was developed under the Soviet Union's tenure, so the current Russian officials seem to feel that entitles them to claim it doesn't belong to them.

• Like 1