Removalist trucks in Thailand. What the hell is going on

ghworker2010

I've had a few experiences with removalist guys in Thailand. A few yrs ago we hired one to move our stuff to the new house which had 2 levels. They would stop complaining about

having to move stuff upstairs. All I could think was why are they working in this profession ...

Most recently we called another company about moving from one province to another. They stated the price and we asked how many workers per truck. The guy told us it doesn't include

moving it into the truck. We would have to do it ourselves and also at the destination. They would not take our stuff inside. What the f***k. I thought the guy must have been joking. Then my wife asked

how much per worker if he brings some guys. 1000 baht per worker extra. 

This country is more screwed up than I thought. I feel sometimes that the people are illogical and that I dont belong here....

cheers

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ghworker2010 said:

why are they working in this profession ...

Its hardly a profession when they are getting paid 300 baht per day.

I certainly wouldn't want to do it for that sort of money and mostly wouldn't want to do it for a considerable amount more ....

hard, heavy work in the oppressive heat..with only a smile and a pair of flip flops for protection. :sad:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, johng said:

Its hardly a profession when they are getting paid 300 baht per day.

I certainly wouldn't want to do it for that sort of money and mostly wouldn't want to do it for a considerable amount more ....

hard, heavy work in the oppressive heat..with only a smile and a pair of flip flops for protection. :sad:

As a student i did it a lot because it paid so well...not because it was fun or so, the heat of Thailand makes it very hard i think.

Last year i asked a thai welder to do some jobs for a day, he asked 2000 a day...i think that's a fair price.

I asked  a painter to paint a small ceiling with the paint of his boss, 300 baht for 2 hours work.

Getting gardeners to cut and remove a tree here costs 600 a tree...a tree is one hour work for them with the right tools.

So 1000 for a strong guy to do hard work and sit in the truck all day is not much...

Why not pay by the hour?...If the jobs not being done...get rid of them.

This paying by the day rate is crazy. How long is a day?...start around 8:30...Lunch 11:30 until 1: 30...then want to go home around 3: 30....Pretty expensive, if you work it out in hours actually worked....

• Like 1

Shop around. Last time I used a removals company, which was 6 years ago admittedly, we paid 5000 all in to move from Nonthaburi to Buriram. They did everything. I thought it was fairly reasonable. The truck was a medium to large flatbed which must have used a fair bit of juice so I wouldn't have thought the workers got that much money at the end of it all.

I needed to move between condos in Bangkok - 15km and just few bags/boxes of stuff ... but bit too much for regular taxi. Gf called several companies and they were asking for 3000 - 4500 THB - ridiculous!

In the end I've got mini van from Grab for 500 THB.

Also move out cleaning - quoted 1000 THB for two workers half a day. Only one worker showed up and she left after half a day. But the owner forced her to come back for another half day. She and the building manager would call us 30 times that 1000 THB is not enough, we have to pay more. We didn't pay more.

I wonder if the people that complain about how much workers

are asking for doing a job, would ever consider doing the same

job,for the same money !, that's right i don't think so.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NutsMango said:

Also move out cleaning - quoted 1000 THB for two workers half a day.

So the employer pays them minimum wage say 350. Times 2 is 700. How much profit would you think is realistic? 35% would seem a bit light?

19 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

So the employer pays them minimum wage say 350. Times 2 is 700. How much profit would you think is realistic? 35% would seem a bit light?

she was a freelancer from the building manager, probably family or friends and getting kick back

btw the building manager and managing company got sacked because of high number of complains