Changing from non-B to non-O dependent visa

Hi, hoping there might be some experience with this among the crowd here.

Here's the situation:

• I am a US citizen
  • I currently have a one-year, multiple-entry non-B visa that I got at the Thai consulate in New York. This visa expires in mid-June. I work regionally and use Thailand as a base, so I do not have a work permit or an employer in Thailand.
  • Since I got that visa, my wife (also a US citizen) has started employment in Thailand with a local company. So she now has a non-B visa with work permit. Based on this visa, both of my children have dependent visas.
  • As my non-B is expiring in a couple months, and it's a big expense and hassle to go back to the US to get another one, I would like to get a dependent visa under my wife's visa.

Does anyone know the process for this? Main questions:

• Do I need to 'cancel' or let my current visa expire before applying for the new one? If I need to cancel it, what's the process to do that?
  • Could I apply with the appropriate documents for the non-O at any Thai consulate in the region? I am frequently in Bangladesh and Myanmar, so would do it in one of those countries. Is there any prerequisite for applying?
  • Is there any way to take care of this change within Thailand, or does one have to leave and come back?

My wife's colleagues don't have experience with this process and are providing conflicting information, hence why I'm asking here if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks for any info or suggestions!

Visas are not canceled or extended.

I assume your wife has an extension of stay based upon working applied for at immigration not a non-b visa. 

You could apply for a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon your wifes extension of stay during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from your non-b visa.

54 minutes ago, katzistan said:

The problem is I'm never in the country for that many days - I travel frequently around the region for work.

You could get a re-entry permit to keep the remainder of the last 90 day entry from your visa valid when you enter the country and then apply for the one year extension.

54 minutes ago, katzistan said:

Wouldn't I need some kind of visa when my non-B visa expires?

You don't need a valid visa to apply for the extension of stay since you will be extending your permit to stay not the visa.

• Like 1