Gaggan won Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants (again)

snoop1130

Gaggan won Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants (again)

By Coconuts Bangkok

ghghjhj.JPG

Gaggan has claimed the No.1 spot for the fourth consecutive year at Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants award ceremony, which this year, was held yesterday in the Wynn Palace Hotel, Macau.

Gaggan, a progressive Indian restaurant by Chef Gaggan Anand on Bangkok’s Langsuan Road, took home the prestigious top prize from 2015-2018. Last year, the restaurant also picked up two Michelin stars in the guide’s debut edition in Bangkok.

The result was based on votes from more than 300 leaders across Asia’s gastronomic industry.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/food-drink/gaggan-won-asias-50-best-restaurants/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2018-3-28

The critics must be pretty naïve to be impressed by what amounts to a kid let loose with a chemistry set.

Of the multitude of dishes, none was outstandingly tasty, and a few were downright dreadful, such as the sea urchin roe which was ruined by being accompanied by a granita.  The Japanese-influenced dishes were particularly dire, and not a patch on top quality sushi or sashimi.

Hygiene is also questionable.  I saw the wine waiter dip his finger into a bowl of ingredients being prepared then lick it, not once, but twice.

I was left feeling unpleasantly queasy after eating such a mishmash of dishes.

Chef Gaggan is self-trained, and it shows.  When he packs up and moves to Japan, I don't think it's going to be any great loss.

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

The critics must be pretty naïve to be impressed by what amounts to a kid let loose with a chemistry set.

Of the multitude of dishes, none was outstandingly tasty, and a few were downright dreadful, such as the sea urchin roe which was ruined by being accompanied by a granita.  The Japanese-influenced dishes were particularly dire, and not a patch on top quality sushi or sashimi.

Hygiene is also questionable.  I saw the wine waiter dip his finger into a bowl of ingredients being prepared then lick it, not once, but twice.

I was left feeling unpleasantly queasy after eating such a mishmash of dishes.

Chef Gaggan is self-trained, and it shows.  When he packs up and moves to Japan, I don't think it's going to be any great loss.

Gaggan was good before he introduce the 20 course menu with all the japanese influenced dish. I think as a progressive indian cooking, he should have stuck to indian flavors. I'm not sure if they still a la carte menu, based on the website it doesn't seem like they don't anymore.

I agree, its a lot of mismash of dishes. I wish he stayed true to how it was when he first opened. If he wants to do other flavors and dishes inspired by other cultures, I think he should reinvent his restaurant and not call it progressive indian.

I would say, the technique and creativity is still there. Its not new in the world, but its new in Thailand so everyone is wow by it hence such high praise. But if you compare his 2 star with other 2 stars in other countries, I don't think he stacks up.

Edited by mike324

4 minutes ago, rubyjuan said:

I have not been able to get in there my past two attempts(in the past year)..ugh  Any hints?

Apart from "don't bother"?

Be aware their reservation system is utterly chaotic and inept.  Lots of bad stories.  They really don't care.

Just make a reservation a long time in advance (2 months or more), and keep your fingers crossed.

I made a reservation on 19/Feb last year.  I got a request for a credit card number on 25/Feb.  And finally got a confirmed reservation on 4/Mar for dinner a month later.  They're in no hurry to be of service.

I have no idea how they get this award. Surely to win such a prestigious award this the restaurant has to be a sum of all its parts??

Gaggan has a non-existent booking system, a couldn't care less attitude to returning phone calls, indifferent even arrogant service and pretty average food.

Their curry, served in a novel tiffin, was truly and honestly the worst I have ever tasted. 

NO...Gaggan does NOT deserve to be in the top 50 even and yet win it. I

Very strange indeed.

22 minutes ago, harleyclarkey said:

Their curry, served in a novel tiffin, was truly and honestly the worst I have ever tasted. 

That brings back (unpleasant) memories.  Layered rice, then curry, then topped with chawanmushi (Japanese egg custard).

My partner took two mouthfuls before declaring he couldn't eat it, then headed rapidly to the toilet.

We've been twice, albeit a couple of years ago now, before the awards started coming in.  Both times it was a world class dining experience.  Given the difficulties which the hype seemed to have produced I haven't been back lately, but I still have good memories of our meals there.