Hydrochloric Acid/ Sodium Hypochloride

carlyai

I needed to buy some hydrochloric acid to lower my pool PH.

I really hadn't done my homework, as the place I usually go to get such things knows everything. But the trouble was the owner, and lady I deal with had just died, and no one knew everything.

So I asked for hydrochloric acid, which bought a 'No' reply.

So I found what was I think the Thai name 'groht gleuua' and asked for that.

I was given sodium hypochlorite.

I rang up a Thai friend and asked the name for hydrochloric acid and got 'groht gleuua'.

So, are Sodium Hypochlorite and Hydrochloric Acid both called 'groht gleuua' in Thai?

I know what I would do next time and just stick to the English name hydrochloric acid or look on the container for HCL. Also there's salt (gleuua), in sodium hypochlorite but no salt in hydrochloric acid.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

The thai name for HCl is indeed grot gruea but you can also use "grot hydrochloric". (กรดไอโดรคลอริก)

HCl is produced mainly from Chlorine itself or chlorine derivatives, which comes from salt electrolysis. This is why it is called 'grot gruea'

• Like 1

The thai name for HCl is indeed grot gruea but you can also use "grot hydrochloric". (กรดไอโดรคลอริก)
HCl is produced mainly from Chlorine itself or chlorine derivatives, which comes from salt electrolysis. This is why it is called 'grot gruea'

Great thanks. So is sodium hypochlorite also called grot gruea?

In my company we would use only « Hypo » (ไอโป) but some of my thai colleagues say that they often use « nam chlorine » as well.

Sorry that this maybe confusing, (like many other thai transcriptions...)

Lots of hits on Google for โซเดียมไฮโปคลอไรท์ or คลอรีนนำ for sodium hypochlorite.

PS hydrochloric acid and sodium hypochlorite are different chemicals and have different names in Thai as roulax says.

• Like 1

Lots of hits on Google for โซเดียมไฮโปคลอไรท์ or คลอรีนนำ for sodium hypochlorite.
PS hydrochloric acid and sodium hypochlorite are different chemicals and have different names in Thai as roulax says.
So the shop must have been wrong saying sodium hypochlorite is called grot gleua?

14 hours ago, katana said:

Lots of hits on Google for โซเดียมไฮโปคลอไรท์

And that seems the transcription that professionals use for sodium hypochlorite.

On this label they use a "d" instead of a "t" at the end which is not correct (but silent anyway).

Short nickname ไฮคลอร์ like hy-chlo(r).

hypo.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1