Songkran where to be , or no to be

jkthai

10 minutes ago, neupaneaj said:

I don’t get all the negativity here. As an expat I have lived in Bangkok for almost a decade and have celebrated Songkran for the last 5 years and had a blast each time. I too was advised by my “I am too good for this” foreigner friends that oh Songkran is soo this n’ that. On quite the contrary it’s a great way experience one of Asia’s most amazing festival. It’s a pity that it’s portrayed with such a negativity by an opinionated few.

Fun part of the festival is about going out on the street with water guns and having an all out water fight with strangers - I mean how bad can it be - getting splashed with water on hot and humid day that is - grow and live a live a little people!!! And besides most of the Thais are very courteous and friendly in this regards - on these water fights I have never seen any real fights break out.
And believe me if they see you with a small kid they are for the most part courteous and careful. Local Thais too go out on the streets with their little kids to partake on this festival you know!!

Even at bars in Pattaya and Silom that they speak of the worst that happens is a usual bar scene with drunk foreigners - just be prepared for some extra loud music and getting throughly wet. Big deal!!!

Don’t get me wrong - Thai roads are dangerous and death toll go up specially in Songkran and there are always some people who take it a little too far - and that one should always err on the side of safety - for the most part this festival is a ton of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It's fun briefly.  Then you maybe have things you need to do or places you need to go, and want to do so without getting soaked and walking into a place wet and possibly covered with powder.  If it was just one day, or only a few hours a day, or you could ask to not get wet, it would be one thing, but you have no choice, all day, for days, and that's what pisses people off.  I don't want to waste four days in which I could be doing other things but instead am stuck staying in my house whenever I don't want to get wet.

Also, I don't consider it "courteous" when people specifically try to shoot me in the face/eyes.  Especially since I wear glasses and this then means seeing is difficult.

21 hours ago, tropo said:

I can understand little children enjoying that, and very drunk people, but not mature, sober adults, which begs the question: Who has the problem? The people who enjoy it or the people who don't? It's absurd to suggest that expats aren't living (enjoying life) just because they don't enjoy squirting strangers in the face with water guns. You're talking to a lot of expats here. People who have traveled the globe to experience other life and culture. They are the last people who should be told to "grow and live a little", as they have already made a huge effort to improve their lives. Sorry if squirting strangers in the face with high pressure water guns doesn't excite them to the same extent it excites you. Go and have your fun and leave the rest of us out of it. 

Even if Songkran was only one day of my life, I still wouldn't enjoy a water fight with strangers. That's the sort of thing I used to enjoy as a child.

However, there's a sinister attitude behind the water fights in many areas. For example, they will use dirty water and/or ice, to ensure the recipient suffers a little or better yet, a lot. It brings out all the sadists who can go about their handy work with few repercussions, unless they choose the wrong target. In the midst of these amazing water fights you enjoy there's also a fair number of lowlife who go around groping and otherwise harassing females. My wife learned that the hard way and now stays indoors.

Absolutely.  When I was 6 I used to enjoy running around with water pistols, now, it just doesn't 'do it' for me.  If in the minds of some that makes me boring, well, like I give a 5hit!  I've no problem at all with others doing what makes them happy and I really enjoy the festival if I'm in the right place with the right people, generally, mostly well educated and respectful Thai's who don't take it too far.

My only problem with it is the absolute yobbish behaviour from a percentage of (almost exclusively) farangs who make it an absolute thug-fest.  Deliberately trying to injure or cause discomfort to people is not at all what Songkran is about and I have absolutely zero sympathy for these oiks when it suddenly back-fires (as I've seen it do several times) when suddenly the Thais outnumber their little gang and they get a good hiding.  Of course, they'd likely report that as 'Cowardly Thai gang beat up lone tourist / expat'.  

Those that engage in the thuggery try and defend it as 'fun' or decry those who don't wish to participate in their particular brand of thug-kran I have zero regard for.  I'm normally not a vindictive person at all but I wish none of them well, spoiling (as they doubtlessly will, possibly seriously or even fatally) the fun that most mature (and dare I say better bred, and certainly better intentioned) folks will be trying to have.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2018 at 7:17 PM, Katia said:

It's fun briefly.  Then you maybe have things you need to do or places you need to go, and want to do so without getting soaked and walking into a place wet and possibly covered with powder.  If it was just one day, or only a few hours a day, or you could ask to not get wet, it would be one thing, but you have no choice, all day, for days, and that's what pisses people off.  I don't want to waste four days in which I could be doing other things but instead am stuck staying in my house whenever I don't want to get wet.

Also, I don't consider it "courteous" when people specifically try to shoot me in the face/eyes.  Especially since I wear glasses and this then means seeing is difficult.

I can understand impatience based on 4 days of getting wet, but in Pattaya you can travel around normally before about noon when the real throwers start to rise. In Bangkok it is limited to certain areas and is two days at most.

What do you need to do which is so important and critical that it could not have been done before Songkran starts or after its finished? All Government offices are closed, as are 99% of businesses. This is bearing in mind Songkran has been going on for the last 1000 years on the same date so presumably if you live here, you would know the date a year in advance.

5 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I can understand impatience based on 4 days of getting wet, but in Pattaya you can travel around normally before about noon when the real throwers start to rise. In Bangkok it is limited to certain areas and is two days at most.

What do you need to do which is so important and critical that it could not have been done before Songkran starts or after its finished? All Government offices are closed, as are 99% of businesses. This is bearing in mind Songkran has been going on for the last 1000 years on the same date so presumably if you live here, you would know the date a year in advance.

I work during the week.  The weekend is when I have time to actually do things. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Travel around normally before noon - there's hardly anything open then...

You will usually be alright with a toddler, as most Thais are respectful if you have young children.

A few years ago I went to Pattaya for Songkran with a 1 year old. The Thai people never splashed me with her.

The only time we were splashed was by drunk foreigners.