US to require would-be immigrants to turn over social media handles

webfact

US to require would-be immigrants to turn over social media handles

By Tal Kopan, CNN

Washington (CNN)The Trump administration plans to require immigrants applying to come to the United States to submit five years of social media history, it announced Thursday, setting up a potential scouring of their Twitter and Facebook histories.

The move follows the administration's emphasis on "extreme vetting" of would-be immigrants to the US, and is an extension of efforts by the previous administration to more closely scrutinize social media after the San Bernardino terrorist attack.

According to notices submitted by the State Department on Thursday, set for formal publication on Friday, the government plans to require nearly all visa applicants to the US to submit five years of social media handles for specific platforms identified by the government -- and with an option to list handles for other platforms not explicitly required.

Full story: https://edition.cnn.com/2018/03/29/politics/immigrants-social-media-information/

cnn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright CNN 2018-03-30
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

As I recall, something similar caused quite a stir among Thailand expats a while back. Would be interesting to know how many of those feeling strongly about it then would justify it now, seeing that it's sponsored by the Barron...err...Miller.... umm...Dennison? Trump! The Trump administration, that's the one.

Donald Trump pseudonyms

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump_pseudonyms

• Like 1

Yes the US Nazi regime in all it's glory. I was in Vancouver last week and the latest stunts the US border guards are pulling is demanding the right to view the contents of anyone's phone as they try and cross the border. I think Canada and the rest of the world should start treating US citizens with the same lack of human rights as they treat other countries citizens.

They also now ask people driving across the border if they have EVER smoked marijuana, if you are stupid enough to say yes then they blacklist you for life. 

• Like 1

Guest Jerry787

make america great again.... 

yes trump try isolate us and bring it down, so once the blonde whites american will be gone, native indian american will make america great again.

so if you apply to a us visa, clean you fb and twitter accounts, just live the mickey mouse cartoons, for them to enjoy

Meanwhile driving in from Oregon and Washington state there are huge billboards telling you take the next exit to buy pot. Get to BC Canada and you can buy it also from stores.

Just don't try to take it across the borders. No officer I never touch the stuff is the only answer to give.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

Yes the US Nazi regime in all it's glory. I was in Vancouver last week and the latest stunts the US border guards are pulling is demanding the right to view the contents of anyone's phone as they try and cross the border. I think Canada and the rest of the world should start treating US citizens with the same lack of human rights as they treat other countries citizens.

They also now ask people driving across the border if they have EVER smoked marijuana, if you are stupid enough to say yes then they blacklist you for life. 

Ironically it's legal in quite a few states

As an American, I am so sick of seeing the United States adopt dictatorial regulations which are indicative  of a Third World Nation. The Us is so hypocritical.  It  has criticised Cuba for years but houses so called terrorist suspects in Guantanamo Bay without due process or access to an attorney.

The US  Patriot Act ( a misnomer if I ever heard one) allows the Us intelligence services to pick up foreign nationals they suspect of terrorist links and fly them to an undisclosed foreign country and hold them for interrogation. 

A US Passport has a device embedded in its cover that can provide the location of the Passport and the holder. The CIA has the ability to turn on a cell phone without notifying the holder and view their surroundings.

the last time I returned to the US- Customs questioned me on  who was in the pictures I carried and asked  to view my smart phone . I told them I have no Smart Phone which is the truth.

Now they want the ability to view Social Media.  If this is the 'land of the free'- count me out. I won't be returning.

• Like 1