Which part of issan infected by rabbies ?

noopin2014

IMO Rabies is everywhere in Thailand.  I dont touch or pet any dog or cat, or any mammal. If you have an animal then you should keep your pet vaccinated and keep your pet away from all others. In my view all mammals in Thailand are potential carriers of the virus, and I treat them all that way - keep my distance and dont touch.

Incubation of rabies is from 10-60 days (maybe longer) and an animal can transmit the virus when it is still acting and looking healthy.  It is not just the rabid violent dog you should avoid, it is all unvaccinated dogs - and in Thailand there are millions of them roaming around in the Sois.  

WHO Quote:  "The rabies virus invades the nervous system of mammals. It is primarily transmitted from the rabid animal’s saliva when it bites or scratches someone. Licks to wounds or grazed and broken skin, or to the lining of the mouth and nose, can also transmit the disease. Dogs are responsible for 96% of human rabies cases in South-East Asia, but there are also reports of human rabies due to bites of cats, mongooses, jackals, foxes, wolves and other carnivorous animals. Rabies due to monkey and rat bites are rare. Horses and donkeys get aggressive and bite ferociously when they are rabid. Cattle and buffaloes do not bite when they are rabid, but precautions should be taken while examining sick animals that are salivating."

http://www.who.int/rabies/resources/SEA_CD_278_FAQs_Rabies.pdf

Also, I think it was the last few days to a week, the village Muang Kao (Muang Chaiyaphum).also had a dog die of rabies. Not sure if reported on ThaiVisa or not. 

Sok Ta Lab tomorrow will have their day where the vet office comes to vaccinate the dogs. The Tessabans in Chaiyaphum cant get hold of any vaccines to do it themselves. So when their is a confirmed case, vaccines come from the Vet Ministry it seems, not directly from the companies (only way Tessaban can get them). I was working at a different Tessaban today (from where I live) and the Mayor was telling me how he cant get any vaccines also. 

The question was put to the vet office this morning (when investigating Sok Ta Lab), they said the rabies spiked last year due to fake vaccines from companies, so this year there is shortages of vaccines due to strict measures to make sure they are proper vaccines.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Also, I think it was the last few days to a week, the village Muang Kao (Muang Chaiyaphum).also had a dog die of rabies. Not sure if reported on ThaiVisa or not. 

Sok Ta Lab tomorrow will have their day where the vet office comes to vaccinate the dogs. The Tessabans in Chaiyaphum cant get hold of any vaccines to do it themselves. So when their is a confirmed case, vaccines come from the Vet Ministry it seems, not directly from the companies (only way Tessaban can get them). I was working at a different Tessaban today (from where I live) and the Mayor was telling me how he cant get any vaccines also. 

The question was put to the vet office this morning (when investigating Sok Ta Lab), they said the rabies spiked last year due to fake vaccines from companies, so this year there is shortages of vaccines due to strict measures to make sure they are proper vaccines.

that's a surprise WW dodgy vaccines.didnt know that goes on in Thailand.

5 minutes ago, meatboy said:

that's a surprise WW dodgy vaccines.didnt know that goes on in Thailand.

Fantastic world we live in. It is why I prefer dogs to humans....although, it is becoming hard. Off to the vet I think to see if he has titer testing. 

I drove past the Sok Ta Lab vaccination point today. In total, 430 dogs/cats (including 22 temple dogs) were administered imported vaccines. Tomorrow, the bordering village dogs/cats will also be vaccinated. I think last years survey of the village estimated about 410 animals, but obviously breeding occurs. Hopefully some sort of herd immunity was achieved today. 

Today the bordering village had 380 animals vaccinated.

Tessabans in Chaiyaphum should be receiving 'real' vaccines this coming May. So people should keep their eyes open as to where the administration of the vaccines will take place and tell their families to go and get their dogs vaccinated (if don't vaccinate at clinics). 

up until yesterday area's around korat haven't any vaccine.it was last week the wife sent 100kilo.of chicken to this shelter,she said she wouldn't go near it herself,there were too many strays outside it,and the owner had not seen anyone from the livestock dept.i would like to go there as this lady is doeing a fine job looking after so many,the first visit by the wife said all the dogs look well with full tummy's.so we just got to wait and see if anyone goes there to help her.

I will get the wife to tel.her and ask if anyone has been or contacted her.

Livestock department has limited amounts of vaccines that are only to be used in areas with proven rabies fatalities. Their role is to only vaccinate 3 kms around where a dog is found to have died of rabies. So the last 2 days 810 dogs were vaccinated 3 kms each direction of the dog that died in Sok Ta Lab. There couldn't have been any dog die within 3 kms of the shelter so the livestock department has no obligation to go there. 

All public dogs are vaccinated by Tessaban (should be done this May if no more delays), and all private dogs actually should be done by the individual, but Tessaban has helped out these last few years. 

If the shelter has an owner then that indicates it is privately owned. It is her responsibility to vaccinate the animals. Tessaban sometimes pity them so help them with vaccinations. 

It sucks, but it is what it is. 

Edited by wildewillie89

1 hour ago, wildewillie89 said:

Livestock department has limited amounts of vaccines that are only to be used in areas with proven rabies fatalities. Their role is to only vaccinate 3 kms around where a dog is found to have died of rabies. So the last 2 days 810 dogs were vaccinated 3 kms each direction of the dog that died in Sok Ta Lab. There couldn't have been any dog die within 3 kms of the shelter so the livestock department has no obligation to go there. 

All public dogs are vaccinated by Tessaban (should be done this May if no more delays), and all private dogs actually should be done by the individual, but Tessaban has helped out these last few years. 

If the shelter has an owner then that indicates it is privately owned. It is her responsibility to vaccinate the animals. Tessaban sometimes pity them so help them with vaccinations. 

It sucks, but it is what it is. 

I have just asked the wife to contact her to find out the position,the wife has told me SHE the owner has to contact whoever is going to vaccinate the dogs if not already done,the wife thinks she is responsible.as we are providing food for them in honour of our boy passing away.if she hasn't done this we will have to re-think about helping her.its a harsh thing to do,but I am willing to help but unless she doesn't think our gratitude helps her by letting us know whats happening she wiil find out I will stop the funding.oh by the way she doesn't know a farang is involved. 

3 hours ago, meatboy said:

I have just asked the wife to contact her to find out the position,the wife has told me SHE the owner has to contact whoever is going to vaccinate the dogs if not already done,the wife thinks she is responsible.as we are providing food for them in honour of our boy passing away.if she hasn't done this we will have to re-think about helping her.its a harsh thing to do,but I am willing to help but unless she doesn't think our gratitude helps her by letting us know whats happening she wiil find out I will stop the funding.oh by the way she doesn't know a farang is involved. 

If the shelter is working off donations then it seems she is probably an owner, which would mean she has to find the donations to fund the vaccination of the animals also (and pay a vet to administer them). I think she is hoping for Tessaban to include the shelter in their budget, which is a risky way of running a shelter. If so, and the Mayor and Public Health Official of the area is happy to do that, the dogs should be vaccinated in the next couple months. 

Shelters are hard work, they require continuous and serious donations to work. If the dogs are not vaccinated, then there is also the chance all sorts of dog viruses and zootonic diseases are living there. I, personally, wouldn't be going too close to the place.

With any sort of non-profit type organisation, it is always best to find out where the donations go. If the owner (in this case), hides behind ignorance or doesn't divulge how the place is run, then no emotion from you should be felt by not donating anymore. It is the owner that would be doing the disservice to the dogs, not you. Investigate and see how you go with it.

Edited by wildewillie89

I don't know if anyone else is helping,but one thing I do know is she has to work full time,she told the wife that she gets donations now and then,she told the wife she is worried that she has to retire in 3yrs.so where the money comes from when she does is worrying.so I think she is genuine then I am not the best in trusting anyone.i think its best to get in touch with the Tessa ban and find out if she has been in touch.

by the way what is the cost of vaccinateing over 250dogs.i am just a bit worried that a few vets in that area know who I am along with the wife,so that would more than double the cost.

6 hours ago, meatboy said:

I don't know if anyone else is helping,but one thing I do know is she has to work full time,she told the wife that she gets donations now and then,she told the wife she is worried that she has to retire in 3yrs.so where the money comes from when she does is worrying.so I think she is genuine then I am not the best in trusting anyone.i think its best to get in touch with the Tessa ban and find out if she has been in touch.

by the way what is the cost of vaccinateing over 250dogs.i am just a bit worried that a few vets in that area know who I am along with the wife,so that would more than double the cost.

I think Tessaban pays the companies 25 baht per vaccine. Some vets in my city do it for 60 baht per vaccine. If you went to Tessaban and told them you would like to fund the vaccination program of just the shelter and objectives were documented, they would probably be able to accept it.