Expressway rescue official killed in motorcycle crash

rooster59

Expressway rescue official killed in motorcycle crash

By The Nation

An expressway rescue official was killed when his motorcycle crashed into the rear of a road sweeper truck on Ratchadaphisek Road in Bangkok early on Saturday.

Sutthisarn Police Station was informed about the accident on the outbound Ratchadaphisek before the Ratchada-Lat Phrao flyover at 2.30am.

Police, a doctor and rescuers from the Porteckteung Foundation rushed to the scene and found the body of Therdsak Sukhothanang, 45, near his damaged motorcycle behind a road sweeper truck. He was killed despite wearing a full-size crash helmet.

The driver of the truck from the Din Daeng district office, Sukit Saenwilai, 34, said he was cleaning the road and the truck had turned the emergency lights on. He suddenly heard a loud noise at the back and when he came out to check he found the body and the crashed motorcycle.

Police suspect the deceased man may have dozed off while riding his motorcycle home after night shift.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30342164

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-31

26 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

What's with all these people allegedly dozing-off while riding a motorcycle!  Is it some sort of disease peculiar only to Thais!  Maybe it's just one of the multple-choice answers on the police report, along with suicide; tick the box and sign at the bottom, job done.

Worked with a guy in a factory in Italy who dozed off on his bike. Lost his left arm. So not just Thailand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Juan B Tong said:

OMG!

They actually have sweeper trucks?

Yup and they drive very slow when sweeping...even on roads where loads of cars drive 80-110...

Driving motocy in BKK takes 110% full concentration, it's really exhausting. And wateringtrucks on the fast lane, or sweepingtrucks like in this case make it much harder to drive safe. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moti24 said:

What's with all these people allegedly dozing-off while riding a motorcycle!  Is it some sort of disease peculiar only to Thais!  Maybe it's just one of the multple-choice answers on the police report, along with suicide; tick the box and sign at the bottom, job done.

It's not just Thailand, this is a photo taken in USA.

hqdefault.jpg

Reasons for death here - sleeping brakes road conditions weather dogs dark outside etc

it's al BS....don't know how to drive combined w/ no enforcement = accidents waiting to happen 24/7....

and yes people drown in America...so what? You need to compare per capita stats and there are so many categories here where thailand #s are at the top or near the top in world comparisons...

something is culturally dysfunctional around the concepts of safety and public health...

Edited by cardinalblue
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Moti24 said:

And here I was thinking brake failure. 

May the deceased rest in peace. 

My condolences to his family

Edited by Grumpy Duck

On 3/31/2018 at 2:40 PM, jonstarjon said:

Do you believe this story. Turned on lights... Yes/No

Was going straight? Yes/No

Rider fell asleep? Yes/No

Personally I don't believe any of it

When I was courting, Late nights and working hard during the day, I dozed off while heading home on my Lambretta, 1950s. I awoke pretty damned quick when riding along the gutter. It's easily done. 

21 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

and yes people drown in America...so what? You need to compare per capita stats and there are so many categories here where thailand #s are at the top or near the top in world comparisons...

If you compare the number of scooters on the road, Thailand is actually safer for 2 wheel riders than the USA.

In the USA in the 2010s, motorcycles comprised about 2% of registered vehicles (about 6 million bikes registered), but 14 percent of all fatal accidents.

Source:  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_fatality_rate_in_U.S._by_year

With 70% of the registered vehicles in Thailand being scooters, they'd have to cause 490% of the fatalities to be on par with the USA.  Or, said another way, if 70% of the registered vehicles in the USA were scooters, the vehicle death rate there would jump by close to 3500%.  (70% is 35 x 2%)  

One study evaluated motorcycles as being 37 times more dangerous for a fatal accident than a car.  (Same source)  So I'd say that the economics that put so many people on to scooters instead of inside of cars play a larger role than any other factor.

Edited by impulse

Why so  quick to blame the motorcyclist?

The street sweeper may not have had effective or fully functioning hazard lights. Typically, on a  busy thorougfare there will be a signal truck  behind the sweeper with a very bright warning  light array.  A single blinking light that  is covered up by dirt and grime isn't effective.