Sea Freight And Port Of Entry

Say I'm shipping 2 cubic meters by sea, door to port from Thailand to San Francisco. The person on the receiving end goes to the port in Oakland with their paperwork and picks up the goods. No problem.

But what if I need to send the same shipment to Denver, CO in the middle of the US? Must i hire an expensive forwarding service to pick up the package and drive it Denver? Surely there is an easier way.

Perhaps I'm wrongly assuming that door to port implies a sea port. If so, does this mean that the shipping company will deliver my product to Denver for little more than it costs to ship to San Francisco?

Thanks!

Say I'm shipping 2 cubic meters by sea, door to port from Thailand to San Francisco. The person on the receiving end goes to the port in Oakland with their paperwork and picks up the goods. No problem.

But what if I need to send the same shipment to Denver, CO in the middle of the US? Must i hire an expensive forwarding service to pick up the package and drive it Denver? Surely there is an easier way.

Perhaps I'm wrongly assuming that door to port implies a sea port. If so, does this mean that the shipping company will deliver my product to Denver for little more than it costs to ship to San Francisco?

Thanks!

No, you don't have to pick up in the US-port. The cargo will be shipped through to Denver CO where you can pick it up from the inland point.

One would need to know the commodity and the weight, but roughly it should cost you from fob Bangkok to free arrival Denver US$ 120 per cbm plus AMS US$ 25 per shipment. T/time about 33 days.

Your 2 cbm should not exceed 720 kgs as the rate is based on 360 kgs = 1 cbm.

If the cargo is heavier, the cbm-basis will be increase. (Let's say 1 cbm weighs 720 kgs than you have to pay for your 1 cbm actually the rate of 2 cbm)

Anyway, you give me 2 cbm (within the weight) and I charge you 240 plus AMS 25, total US$ 265.00 plus VAT 7%.

33 days later you can pick it up in Denver CO.

If more questions, give me a PM please and we will contact you by e-mail or phone.

Thanks!

No, you don't have to pick up in the US-port. The cargo will be shipped through to Denver CO where you can pick it up from the inland point.

One would need to know the commodity and the weight, but roughly it should cost you from fob Bangkok to free arrival Denver US$ 120 per cbm plus AMS US$ 25 per shipment. T/time about 33 days.

Your 2 cbm should not exceed 720 kgs as the rate is based on 360 kgs = 1 cbm.

If the cargo is heavier, the cbm-basis will be increase. (Let's say 1 cbm weighs 720 kgs than you have to pay for your 1 cbm actually the rate of 2 cbm)

Anyway, you give me 2 cbm (within the weight) and I charge you 240 plus AMS 25, total US$ 265.00 plus VAT 7%.

33 days later you can pick it up in Denver CO.

If more questions, give me a PM please and we will contact you by e-mail or phone.

Thanks Axel. I'm not quite ready to ship anything yet, just looking at my options, but I'll PM you when I start.

I found this list of ports in the US:

http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/ports/

Can it be delivered to any port on the list or just the Service Ports? (I'm assuming just the service ports).

Also, you seem to be knowledgable in the export area, do you happen to have any idea what the duty charged on hemp bags is going into the US? I've looked at the tarriff scedule and US customs website, but I don't see any description that just says 'hemp bag'. (In case it helps, most of the bags have hemp shoulder straps). If you don't know yourself, any idea where I can find a clear and concise list? I know that's what the tariff schedule is supposed to be, but I'm not getting my answer there!

I'm not sure on the USA, but don't forget to ask for a "Form A certificate of origin". Just to say the goods were manufactured in Thailand. This should reduce the duties at the other end. otherwise they will charge a default duty, which was higher for the Uk.

Also, on the same note, call a few forwarders in Bangkok, and see if they have a falang rep. I found a really helpful guy. PM me and I will pass his details on.

Hi all:

Anyone know how long shipping time is from Bangkok to Europe (Antwerp or Rotterdam)

I will have a couple of square meter crates that need to go there early July

Has anyone done that lately ? and if so what were the costs or problems that came up.

These are items cast and machined in Thailand for automotive use

thanks for your help

• 2 weeks later...

In a follow up the last question. Let's say I ship a couple cubic meters to Denver. The customer is in Colorado Springs, a number of hours drive South. They don't have the time to come pick up the goods in Denver. What then? Are there reliable freight forwarders who pick up the goods at the port and then make a delivery to the customer's door? If so, what kind of prices would one expect and does anyone have the websites of any such companies in the US?

Axel commented that 2 cubic meters would be about $300. I have to think that the cost of having the goods picked up and driven to the customer's house would be more than this?! Am I right here?

One more thing. Here's the list of ports of entry in the US.

http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/

Can goods be picked up at every port or at service ports only? If you click on Colorado, you can see that Denver is a service port. If you click on Delaware, you can see that there are no service ports in the state. If you can only ship to service ports, this would mean that the people in Delaware and a number of other states are just out of luck. So I'm assuming you can ship from here to all ports, not just service ports, but I need confirmation on this.

Hi...

here is how I read it

If you send 2 cubic meters , I assume pallets or big boxes, from Thailand to the USA,

if you want them to arrive in Denver, you have to find a shipper who is filling a container to Denver,

I would think that could be a long wait....

Now if you were sending it to a Seaport , say Oakland , more containers are sent there, so a 20-40ft container will fill up quickly.

The container is off loaded into a bonded wherehouse around Oakland, then each individual shipper needs to get cusoms clearance.

A shipping agent can clear it , just costs $$$ and a few signitures.

Once customs is cleared it can be shipped to Denver or anywhere else you want

Hi...

here is how I read it

If you send 2 cubic meters , I assume pallets or big boxes, from Thailand to the USA,

if you want them to arrive in Denver, you have to find a shipper who is filling a container to Denver,

I would think that could be a long wait....

Now if you were sending it to a Seaport , say Oakland , more containers are sent there, so a 20-40ft container will fill up quickly.

The container is off loaded into a bonded wherehouse around Oakland, then each individual shipper needs to get cusoms clearance.

A shipping agent can clear it , just costs $$$ and a few signitures.

Once customs is cleared it can be shipped to Denver or anywhere else you want

I'm not sure if that's true about a long wait to ship LCL to non sea ports. Can someone confirm?

I also think you're mistaken about clearing customs in Oakland before going to Denver. I imagine the cost of having 2 cubic meters cleared and picked up in Oakland and then driven to Denver would be very very high. Am I wrong?

I am aware that customs brokers can be hired to clear customs. From there, I need to know if their are services which will pick up the goods and drive them to a customer's door, which may be a few hours away. If so, who and how much?

the problem is how much stuff is sent from Thailand to Denver by small shippers . less than a full container load.

I am sure its not that much , especially compared to LA or Oakland. Maybe you are lucky and find one leaving soon, or maybe not.

As far as clearing Customs , if its unloaded in Oakland , I am pretty sure it needs to pass customs there,

UNLESS it is shipped from a bonded wherehouse in Oakland , to another bonded wherehouse in Denver all under a customs seal.

thats how it has been when I have shipped things, I live close enough to the Port of LA that I can pick it up myself.

No one else knows? Come on guys. I ship 2 cubic meters from here to some country town in Vermont. The nearest port of entry is hours away. What do I tell the customer?

1. They have to go drive to the port themselves.

2. For a large fee, so and so will pick up the goods, clear customs and deliver to your door. (If so, who is so and so?)

3. You can choose to have your goods sent to any port of entry OR

You must choose a service port only.

Thanks for any info!

I think you can get quotes on door to door shipments......it seems you must be wanting to send stuff direct to paying customers, so just get your shipping quotes based on pick up from you to delivery to customers adress. For example, FOB means free on baord......this does not get it to your customer. The bigger companies have organised networks and will be able to cost it for you from door to door.

Hi all:

Anyone know how long shipping time is from Bangkok to Europe (Antwerp or Rotterdam)

I will have a couple of square meter crates that need to go there early July

Has anyone done that lately ? and if so what were the costs or problems that came up.

These are items cast and machined in Thailand for automotive use

thanks for your help

i shipped personal goods from chiangmai to antwerp and it took just over 4 weeks to arrive, customs took another two weeks though :o

cost was for 4 cbm 25.000 bath, shipping container alone was 11.000 bath. no problems just slow declaration by belgian shipping company.

Thee are companies that do door to door,

a big company like Kuehne + Nagel has offices in most countries

I am not sure if all your shipments will be to one city , if so you might want to get the local phone book and look under international shippers.

One place to look for these big transport companies at at any International Trade fair.

Those items had to be shipped there somehow,

Kuehne + Nagel is at most of the European + USA trade shows.

Hope that helps.....