5 Litre Wine Boxes.....Gone!

EL159

As predicted on here a while ago ( and which I was sceptical about) 5 litre wine boxes have virtually disappeared. Theres a few here & there,  but most of the usual locations ( eg Makro) have none at all. Worryingly, Makro now has 2 litre bottles of the same "fruit wine" for 750 baht,  making what was preiously 950 for 5 litres now close to 2000 for 5 litres.

Anyone got any news?  Will the boxes return but at a vastly increased price?

Seems like everything we do that provides "pleasure" ( arguably!) being removed!

According to a Ministry of Health announcement in another newspaper this morning, the decision has come down from Government level that:

"Given the propensity of Thai people to never leave any alcohol in the bottle on the table, the Ministry has determined that 5L containers of alcohol represent a grave risk to health"

...and suppliers have been given a month to phase them out completely.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know about the five litre boxes, but there are plenty of box wines available at Rimping. Is it only the five litre size that was ended by edict?

One thing I did notice was all the box wines had blue stickers. I didn't see any of the orange sticker cheap fruit wines like Celebration. Maybe they have closed the tax loophole for those?

Edited by bubba

3 minutes ago, bubba said:

One thing I did notice was all the box wines had blue stickers. I didn't see any of the orange sticker cheap fruit wines like Celebration. Maybe they have closed the tax loophole for those?

The blue sticker are the imported ones, those that may have used the tax loophole you mention, and many are about 2 years old.

The orange stickers are produced in Thailand, and virtually all of them from the same company, so easier to return I assume.

Another cunning ploy is that although the price remains the same...the alcohol volume drops.

I've seen that on a couple of items this week.

Luckily I prefer beer. Not a great wine buff at all but can tell the difference between 'normal' and these 'fruit enhanced' wines.

Had a wine that was produced in Hua Hin a few months ago. I was pleasantly surprised.

However chateau cardboard isn't for me... but each to their own ?

4 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

The blue sticker are the imported ones, those that may have used the tax loophole you mention, and many are about 2 years old.

The orange stickers are produced in Thailand, and virtually all of them from the same company, so easier to return I assume.

Right, produced and bottled in Thailand from imported grapes, but isn't there some requirement for blending in fruit juice as well for those, so that they are taxed as "fruit wines"?

Another cunning ploy is that although the price remains the same...the alcohol volume drops.

I've seen that on a couple of items this week.

Luckily I prefer beer. Not a great wine buff at all but can tell the difference between 'normal' and these 'fruit enhanced' wines.

Had a wine that was produced in Hua Hin a few months ago. I was pleasantly surprised.

However chateau cardboard isn't for me... but each to their own [emoji41]

Me to but you know as well as I do as you get older the beer gut... Well you know...

Wine and spirits these days for me

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bubba said:

Right, produced and bottled in Thailand from imported grapes, but isn't there some requirement for blending in fruit juice as well for those, so that they are taxed as "fruit wines"?

I have no idea how the taxation exactly works, but the blue sticker are also all fruit wines, some even don't use the word wine but instead alcoholic beverage.

Fact is that you will have a hard time finding a box with a blue tax sticker that is less than 1 year old, and many of them don't have a date on them at all.

I was told by Siam Winery that once current stocks of 4 litre boxes of a wine  we preferred have run out then 3 litre boxes will be phased in. Just a wild guess but it would come as no surprise to see the same price or higher on the 3 litre boxes.

Just now, Thailand said:

I was told by Siam Winery that once current stocks of 4 litre boxes of a wine  we preferred have run out then 3 litre boxes will be phased in.

I noticed that all boxes produced by siam winery were removed overnight at big C extra and makro Pattaya. Huge stocks that were gone overnight, nothing to do with phasing out in my opinion.

Foodland pattaya has now only 1 box wine, they had at least 6 - 7 different before, and it is a blue sticker South African with dates going back as far as 01/2016 on the box.

Best supermarket, all orange sticker boxes, in whatever size, gone overnight, and again only aged and limited stock of blue stickers in 3 and 5 liters.

Friendship supermarket, same scenario.

2 hours ago, Antonymous said:

According to a Ministry of Health announcement in another newspaper this morning, the decision has come down from Government level that:

"Given the propensity of Thai people to never leave any alcohol in the bottle on the table, the Ministry has determined that 5L containers of alcohol represent a grave risk to health"

...and suppliers have been given a month to phase them out completely.

That sounds like a brilliant April 1 windup... :laugh:

• Haha 1

Sadly, not an April Fool windup.  All the wine boxes had been removed from Makro Hang Dong by Wednesday last and the manager of the alcohol department told my wife a garbled story about tax problems which as someone above pointed out is not the case.  It's just yet another muddle headed example of policy which will have little effect on those who really can't control their drinking but will definitely impact bars and restaurants serving wine by the glass.  One of the better boxed wines is available in huge 3L bottles at about 10% more, but opening one of those means finishing it pretty quickly since it's too big for most fridges so what lasted most people for say a week or two may now be downed in two or three days.  Good thinking...

Interestingly, they have boxes of beer on display now.  I wonder how long that will last?

Edited by Greenside
Forgot the beer...

So thoughtful of the current Gov to care about our health by limiting options.Ive been quaffing Laughing Bird Red in a 2 litre bottle from Makro.

I decant into 750 ml  bottles for the fridge as it goes off very quickly. The amount of tax the Gov makes you think they would be encouraging people to consume more

33 minutes ago, EL159 said:

Monday AM.  The "new" replacement Montclair wine boxes have been spotted in a Big  C.  Previously 950 for 5 litres.  Now 1000 for 3 litres. Approximately 60% price increase.

Looks like we will be saving a few baht a month if this is across the board which is likely. We do like our wine on occasion but it's not essential.

22 hours ago, EL159 said:

Monday AM.  The "new" replacement Montclair wine boxes have been spotted in a Big  C.  Previously 950 for 5 litres.  Now 1000 for 3 litres. Approximately 60% price increase.

That's approx. a 75% increase p/litre......