US tourist visa for Thai wife

15 years ago my wife was not only denied a visa, but we were literally pushed out the door and told to apply for a fiance visa or student visa. The consular officer conceded that these options were BS.

I've been on non-im visas since then, we've been married for 13 years, and both Korea and China have recognized our marriage.  It seems like it's time to try again.

We don't have a child, and that seems to be something the embassy looks for.  Also, my wife is uneducated and does not work.

We would like to visit my sister in California.

Does anybody have insights as to what the US embassy is looking for when issuing a tourist visa to a Thai spouse?

Trolls, please stay away.  I'm in no mood for you.

First off, where do you live?  Here in Thailand?  Renting?

Quite often the interviewing ConOff will be looking at the situation in Thailand of the boyfriend/husband and his status here.  The assumption being that if it looks like he'll return to Thailand after the U.S. visa, the wife/GF will also return.

Masc

12 hours ago, gunghang said:

both Korea and China have recognized our marriage. 

This fact has nothing to do with the granting of a US tourist visa

The US already automatically recognizes your marriage if performed legally in a foreign country

What they are afraid of now is that your wife will not return to Thailand after visiting the US.  So everything you do from this point on should be directed to showing that she has a compelling reason to return to Thailand and can prove same

On 4/2/2018 at 8:47 AM, Thanyaburi Mac said:

First off, where do you live?  Here in Thailand?  Renting?

Quite often the interviewing ConOff will be looking at the situation in Thailand of the boyfriend/husband and his status here.  The assumption being that if it looks like he'll return to Thailand after the U.S. visa, the wife/GF will also return.

Masc

Right now, we still live in China.

We own our condo in Bangkok, and it's in both our names.

It's a bit of a Catch -22.  We plan to sell it and move to the provinces and use some of the proceeds to pay for the trip. But owning the condo helps rebut the presumption of immigration.

Archived