The Devil in the Isaan villages was never really gone

jenny2017

4 minutes ago, starky said:

All I will say to that is boarding school ain't no picnic either bullying, abuse ( physical, mental and sexual) happens at a lot of these places, not to mention dealing with your kids when they get old enough to ask the question why did you bother to have children and then send them to an institution for the majority of their childhood. I know many that went to boarding schools and for most it wasn't a pleasant experience. 

The answer to "why did you bother" is merely "'cause I didn't think my kid would grow to be a thief and drug addict." Kid could easily solve the unpleasantness of going to boarding school rather than lazing around home as you did by simple changing his attitude so that boarding school would be no longer needed.

8 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

The answer to "why did you bother" is merely "'cause I didn't think my kid would grow to be a thief and drug addict." Kid could easily solve the unpleasantness of going to boarding school rather than lazing around home as you did by simple changing his attitude so that boarding school would be no longer needed.

Getting personal now? You think boarding school would of helped me? So what? You wait till they become a drug addict then send them off to boarding school? Pillock.  I tried to have a civil discussion with you but seeing as you know everything about everything and have all the answers  I shall leave the last words for you .

Edited by starky
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Bangkokazy said:

The problem of drug abuse in the country. The problem is and fix it. It does not suppress the trade in earnest. Although the law is very harsh. But it still does not make those drug dealers, and the fear of it. The drug is now in the form of new target groups are children and young people even more. It means that the money will go back hugely. Therefore, it is a parent or someone close to take care of children and people close to the best. In order not to get involved in drugs. Even if you find it strange symptoms like an addiction, then caught it. I have observed that once connected to any kind of addiction. Which would be classified as a major following.

1. Symptoms of Substance Abuse of amphetamines (amphetamine). 

Because methamphetamine is a drug that can be purchased most easily. There are more affordable And how the drug is not as complicated as other types of drugs because the drugs are popular. Because of the belief that if you abuse it. Is not affiliated Lusty more You can work harder than ever. Symptoms of amphetamine addiction that can be easily observed. There is fatigue, palpitations, slow brain disorders. Have hallucinations, paranoia, mania, but not into drugs. It is a jolly mood Glaucoma is sleepy Having beaten more than ever Dry mouth and lips often lose.

2. Symptoms of Substance Abuse of Ecstasy (has many names such as Lovejoy Adam medicine, etc.). 

Ecstasy, also known in the pharmaceutical Love (Love), a drug similar to methamphetamine. But the strength of more than 10 times in addition to sensory stimulation. It also causes hallucinogenic well. We often hear about the ecstasy of the party. Because the drugs into Will be happy, have fun and have a sexual high. (Hence the name of the drug Lovejoy), but no effect on the drug. Eaters are stress , depression, breathing out. Muscle spasm or weakness , insomnia.

3. Symptoms of Substance Abuse of cannabis.

Marijuana is a drug that is found in another country. Because that is popular because it can be grown illegally. And marijuana is a drug that is known to be fun. When a drug into it. Eaters will feel uncomfortable laugh is a cheerful fun for a long time to feel drunk cannabis. The sleepy and fell asleep in the end. But when it wears off It was found that the drug had symptoms, conjunctivitis , diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, similar to the time. Symptoms include thirst, dry throat and shake it. What can and can not decide immediately.

4. Symptoms of drug addiction. of heroin

Heroin is a drug that serious effects than amphetamine many times. Are common And found it among addicts. It may not be as popular as amphetamines. Because of higher prices It also requires a syringe injected into the body. This will leave a trail of evidence the needle area of the body as well. When heroin wears off Patients with symptoms of muscle aches. Headache, vomiting and abdominal pain is severe. With symptoms including chest like a tight cork crunch was so severe suffocation.

5. Symptoms of drug addiction drug types.

Drug are usually found dispersed among teenagers and those who are starting to work more than other ages, because faith is heard later that if the drug ice to the skin even more to make it thinner. pretty good, no odor To make good And would make a good sexual performance. For example, with the famous actor. Or famous athletes used to impersonate. This makes it easy to believe. But the reality on drugs for a long time to find it eaters often have loss of appetite, pale skin dry and scaly skin, similar to a black groping. Or lack of care for a long time. Headaches Palpitations, insomnia, severe brain can not function normally. Which are contrary to what was believed at all.

Hotline and drugs.

If the person close to the original symptoms. And see that he is a drug addict. It should be recommended to get the treatment. In order to stop the drug immediately. Prior to result in physical harm in the long run. It can be treated by contacting organizations and hotlines are as follows.

• Thunyarak hotline 1165.
  • Abbey hollow cylinder Telephone 036-266-292
  • Clinics or drug treatment within provincial residents.
  • State Hospital In the treatment of drug addiction.

Quitting Drugs It is an abuse to have a mind of its own and the torture of the body as well. Thus the family And the need to keep people cheered up close. Monitoring and often do not show signs of disgust. It will affect the mental state of those receiving treatment. 

Please do not write such rubbish, it's not helping anybody. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, starky said:

Getting personal now? You think boarding school would of helped me? So what? You wait till they become a drug addict then send them off to boarding school? Pillock.  I tried to have a civil discussion with you but seeing as you know everything about everything and have all the answers  I shall leave the last words for you .

Please don't criticise each other. Leave that to other posters who've got nothing else to do. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Thanks, please keep it civil. 

• Thanks 1

All I will say to that is boarding school ain't no picnic either bullying, abuse ( physical, mental and sexual) happens at a lot of these places, not to mention dealing with your kids when they get old enough to ask the question why did you bother to have children and then send them to an institution for the majority of their childhood. I know many that went to boarding schools and for most it wasn't a pleasant experience. 

No idea if you meant boarding schools in LOS? A few years back at a boarding school in Sisaket. A boy who's in love with a girl got killed at the one and only boarding school in Sisaket.

The girl who then had a new boyfriend came to the school, they climbed over the wall, the girl called his name and when he came down he got brutally killed with a machete, usually seen in horror films. They said that these teenagers were also on Jaba. This stuff makes very aggressive and stupid.  

Merely means your arguments have been refuted and you've run out of any more of them. Sore losing is something we often see here. You were the one who got personal: I was doing what I wanted to do regardless and so I responded. Kids who don't develop or retain the sort of problem under discussion are the ones who can't do what they want to regardless.

I suspect you've not had a kid who's turned into a thief and drug addict, but your solution would appear to be "I can't do anything." Good luck w/ that. I've seen how sad the results of that attitude can be.

I can and would do something, though, and if not alone then with enough help so that the kid would get back on the ol' straight and narrow. So we'll just agree to disagree. :smile:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Merely means your arguments have been refuted and you've run out of any more of them. Sore losing is something we often see here. You were the one who got personal: I was doing what I wanted to do regardless and so I responded. Kids who don't develop or retain the sort of problem under discussion are the ones who can't do what they want to regardless.

I suspect you've not had a kid who's turned into a thief and drug addict, but your solution would appear to be "I can't do anything." Good luck w/ that. I've seen how sad the results of that attitude can be.

I can and would do something, though, and if not alone then with enough help so that the kid would get back on the ol' straight and narrow. So we'll just agree to disagree. :smile:

I found the old thread about boarding schools where 17 girls burnt to death, but also the story about the boy who got killed. I don't really like boarding schools. 

10 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

No idea if you meant boarding schools in LOS? A few years back at a boarding school in Sisaket. A boy who's in love with a girl got killed at the one and only boarding school in Sisaket.

The girl who then had a new boyfriend came to the school, they climbed over the wall, the girl called his name and when he came down he got brutally killed with a machete, usually seen in horror films. They said that these teenagers were also on Jaba. This stuff makes very aggressive and stupid.  

We can always find some horror story somewhere. But we have to go w/ probabilities and various solutions need to be tried.

Me, I've known graduates of Thai boarding schools who turned out extremely well, far better than average I'd say. Friend of mine's daughter went to a well-respected boarding school and it was just great for her. Absolutely no nonsense going on there, else she'd have been withdrawn immediately. Subsquently she got accepted to Mahidol and will soon graduate cum laude. Me, I don't hold rigid views, but I think most posters here would agree that most Thai students could use a bit more discipline and a bit less spoiling by their parents. Spending a year at a good boarding school might not be a bad idea at all anyway.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

We can always find some horror story somewhere. But we have to go w/ probabilities and various solutions need to be tried.

Me, I've known graduates of Thai boarding schools who turned out extremely well, far better than average I'd say. Friend of mine's daughter went to a well-respected boarding school and it was just great for her. Absolutely no nonsense going on there, else she'd have been withdrawn immediately. Subsquently she got accepted to Mahidol and will soon graduate cum laude. Me, I don't hold rigid views, but I think most posters here would agree that most Thai students could use a bit more discipline and a bit less spoiling by their parents. Spending a year at a good boarding school might not be a bad idea at all anyway.

Yep, if it's a good school and not just a money-making machinery. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

I found the old thread about boarding schools where 17 girls burnt to death, but also the story about the boy who got killed. I don't really like boarding schools. 

You don't like hotels either. Don't use them.

I got your point already. It may not be a matter of whether one likes them or not but of what is going to work. I don't necessarily like boot camps or priests or psychologists or whatever. I know I don't definitely don't like theft, yaba addiction, threats, knives, and having to deal w/ my kid's misadventures in the community. If you find a better solution that works--and you might, I'm totally open to others--then good luck. What do I care what you like or don't like? Up 2 U.

9 hours ago, siamcrut said:

Thanks to the OP for that post!

I do have a son, 3,5 years old attending an international kinder-garden / school.

I do live in the south, in urban area and have already my thoughts what will happen when my boy becomes a teenager and start exploring...

The most important thing is to explain them of young age, that these drugs are evil so are these people.

If I ever hear or catch someone in my village selling that sh*t to minors or my son, there will be some serious consequences (9mm), go figure...!

A concerned dad.

Threatening to murder people for recreational drug use is a bit extreme. More people die from alcohol abuse and tobacco abuse.  The whole tone of the original OP is hysterical propaganda. I thought he was referring to Datura at first which BTW, you can find fir free. People pursue oblivion. It is natural. In Libya they make booze out of, bread. In Poland they make powerful drugs from human excrement. Violence is not the solution. Education and decriminalisation is.  And the elimination of despair and injustice in the community and society at large. Most users are dealers also.  The presumptions behind the whole OP are a bit daft. 

4 minutes ago, The manic said:

Threatening to murder people for recreational drug use is a bit extreme. More people die from alcohol abuse and tobacco abuse.  The whole tone of the original OP is hysterical propaganda. I thought he was referring to Datura at first which BTW, you can find fir free. People pursue oblivion. It is natural. In Libya they make booze out of, bread. In Poland they make powerful drugs from human excrement. Violence is not the solution. Education and decriminalisation is.  And the elimination of despair and injustice in the community and society at large. Most users are dealers also.  The presumptions behind the whole OP are a bit daft. 

If you call a meth addiction not serious, you should read and watch some youtube stuff that's available. And you gotta be kidding calling it recreational drug use.

There was a drug rehab' place on Highway 2, in between Udon and Khon Kaen. I took the B-in-L there some years ago. They introduced him to e-ciggies.

He is off the drugs now but perpetually inebriated.

thumbnail_listerine.jpg.a9cc5b9baa7c30e9dc2acf16e1840073.jpg

Can always blame the Listerine.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

There was a drug rehab' place on Highway 2, in between Udon and Khon Kaen. I took the B-in-L there some years ago. They introduced him to e-ciggies.

He is off the drugs now but perpetually inebriated.

thumbnail_listerine.jpg.a9cc5b9baa7c30e9dc2acf16e1840073.jpg

Can always blame the Listerine.

It's difficult to look for a rehab for somebody who might not even want to go there. It's so much easier just to continue. 

And if the one boy's mama says that he isn't addicted to drugs, well then it's water down the bridge. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PeterA said:

Check your local hospital for a rehab program. It is free for a Thai person.

Thanks. It's more complicated than I thought. I wanted to help a boy who's my son's age and we lived in the same village when they were little.

Unfortunately, does his mom say that he isn't addicted to drugs, he said to his friend that he can't stop. His stepdaddy is a "functioning alcoholic", which makes all even more complicated. 

I've found out that there's another way to get him clean, but I'd only do that when he does something very stupid. If I'd take him to a mental hospital in Ubon, they'd keep him if his urine is positive. But I've suggested the local hospital already. There are some knowledgeable guys and it can't be a mistake. But only if he wants.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Thanks. It's more complicated than I thought. I wanted to help a boy who's my son's age and we lived in the same village when they were little.

Unfortunately, does his mom say that he isn't addicted to drugs, he said to his friend that he can't stop. His stepdaddy is a "functioning alcoholic", which makes all even more complicated. 

I've found out that there's another way to get him clean, but I'd only do that when he does something very stupid. If I'd take him to a mental hospital in Ubon, they'd keep him if his urine is positive. But I've suggested the local hospital already. There are some knowledgeable guys and it can't be a mistake. But only if he wants.

Strange I haven't seen you already, because you are certainly talking about my village: a young guy whose mother refuses to acknowledge his addiction, and an alcoholic father...that is exactly the case of the guy I was referring to above, who was caught by the police for a motorbike infraction, then promptly sent to boot camp when his addiction was revealed by ensuing tests.

That is to say that most, if not all cases, are the same, including the blindly protective mother and the father running on rocket fuel...

I know the hospital in Ubon, which is famous and where I brought a drug crazed member of my wife's extended family a few years ago.

From what I have seen afterwards, the boot camp was more efficient, or successful, than the hospital.

Maybe the fact that the police is involved in the first case gives an incentive to the addict, who hasn't the same fear of the men in white...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Strange I haven't seen you already, because you are certainly talking about my village: a young guy whose mother refuses to acknowledge his addiction, and an alcoholic father...that is exactly the case of the guy I was referring to above, who was caught by the police for a motorbike infraction, then promptly sent to boot camp when his addiction was revealed by ensuing tests.

That is to say that most, if not all cases, are the same, including the blindly protective mother and the father running on rocket fuel...

I know the hospital in Ubon, which is famous and where I brought a drug crazed member of my wife's extended family a few years ago.

From what I have seen afterwards, the boot camp was more efficient, or successful, than the hospital.

Maybe the fact that the police is involved in the first case gives an incentive to the addict, who hasn't the same fear of the men in white...

The village is basically between Uthumphon Phisai and Rasi Salai, called Bann Kraja, pretty much unknown to the rest of the world.

You only know of a similar case because it's happening almost everywhere.

Even I had an offer to buy pills when I bought train tickets, when a woman, I guess it was a prostitute approached me and offered me a pill for saamreu haasip>

When I then told her that my friend from the police station was highly interested, she ran away and I had a good laugh.

Even if they would get the biggest dealer, there'd immediately be somebody else to replace him, or her. 

On 4/3/2018 at 1:02 PM, starky said:

Probably a helpful post for some but I would say that anyone that lives in Isaan and isn't aware of the massive drug problem has blinkers on. I live between Udon and Nong Khai which is pretty much head of the river for a lot of the meth that comes into Thailand and it's rife up here. Let's be honest though it's a worldwide problem teenagers growing up in rural areas are bored out of their minds and so experiment. Australia is the same, ice is big in the cities but the real epedemic is in the rural areas as there is <deleted> all for the kids to do. The problem here is because of taxes etc. it's cheaper to get on the yaba than get on the piss. Kids will be kids they are easily led, some are smarter than others all you can do is educate the best you can and hope they make the right decisions in life.

Yes.

I totally agree with all your points.

From the Isaan villages to the rural Aussie towns.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

The village is basically between Uthumphon Phisai and Rasi Salai, called Bann Kraja, pretty much unknown to the rest of the world.

You only know of a similar case because it's happening almost everywhere.

Even I had an offer to buy pills when I bought train tickets, when a woman, I guess it was a prostitute approached me and offered me a pill for saamreu haasip>

When I then told her that my friend from the police station was highly interested, she ran away and I had a good laugh.

Even if they would get the biggest dealer, there'd immediately be somebody else to replace him, or her. 

That would put your village more or less on the opposite end of the province from mine, which is as remote as yours.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yes.

I totally agree with all your points.

From the Isaan villages to the rural Aussie towns.

One might wonder why???

In the not so distant past, people living in rural areas had much less distractions than now: no TV, no internet, no car and bike...and yet they were not all on drugs because of boredom...

As a matter of fact, it seems that it is today's way of life and modernism that has brought boredom everywhere.

People are more willing to stand up and put a fight when things are difficult to get than when everything is brought to them.

TV and mobile phones, for example, have had disastrous effects in villages.

They have not brought people together, but pushed them further apart...drugs have just followed...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brunolem said:

One might wonder why???

In the not so distant past, people living in rural areas had much less distractions than now: no TV, no internet, no car and bike...and yet they were not all on drugs because of boredom...

As a matter of fact, it seems that it is today's way of life and modernism that has brought boredom everywhere.

People are more willing to stand up and put a fight when things are difficult to get than when everything is brought to them.

TV and mobile phones, for example, have had disastrous effects in villages.

They have not brought people together, but pushed them further apart...drugs have just followed...

I would agree.

I have been toying with Durkheim's concept of "anomie" especially where humans become detached from the norms of societies and commence a form of non-aspirational drift.Durkheim certainly associated this process with the industrial modernism of his day and it appears to have become even more rampant with the over usage of modern technology.

The part of"Starkey's" post which really intrigued me was his description of Australian country towns.After ten years away I find the drug (and alcohol) usage in them to be truly shocking.Anything to get $20 for "yarndi" and a little extra for Ice.

Broken families,high unemployment,rooting through containers to get cigarette butts,accosting people in the street for cigarettes and money and a high level of verbal (and,perhaps physical) aggression on display.

So it seems to be a world wide problem. 

Well your advice comes about 20 years to late.

Now Thailand (not only in Isaan) is full of meth, from the smallest villages to BKK you can find meth 24/7 everywhere.

The last years have shown a tendency in an upgrade from  the pills to crystals which are much more potent and lack

the smell, colorization of fingers etc.

Southeast asia have about 70% of the worldwide meth users.

I would say it's the number one threat to thai society and the problem is constantly growing.

Obviously stiffer prison sentences doesn't have much effect on the problem.

Currently more than 400 000 people are already behind bars for smaller offences but their places fills up very fast.

One of the reasons is that it's so profitable, the production cost of a tablet is less than 1 baht.

And compared to opiates, which in the first states needs harvesting of poppys and after that a long and difficult process

before it becomes highgrade H, the meth that is a synthetical drug is very easy to create.

The cartels on the other side of the border buy tons of half-finished products from shady pharmaceutical companies in

India and China which are very easy to transform to meth.                    

At the places close to the Myanmar border the price is around 30-40 baht for a tablet but when it reaches the tourist areas

in the south it has grown to 500 baht or more. The visitors to Thailand don't use the drug that much but the people working

in the tourist areas do. In the beginning the advantages look good, you can work much more without sleeping, a tiny girl can drink 

a much more heavy farang under the table without getting drunk herself, you don't need to waste money on food etc.

But after a short while this kind of living takes it tolls and more and more money goes up in smoke and less goes home to mama

who takes care of the children.

The withdrawal of opiates can be cured with methadone and other synthetical drugs but the withdrawal of meth is not

physical rather psychological. They try to cure it with valium and similar benzodiazepines but that is just a temporary cure.

As I see it the only cure is to learn children in school of the disadvantages using the drug and find something else to make

them occupied with. So in a way you could say that Thailand have lost a generation to meth and it will continue until the problem

is taken serious. As long as the corruption is on it's current rate the future looks very dark.

• Like 2