New to Pattaya

Thainovice 88

Looking for an English speaking person- local or expat who lives in Jomtien, Chon Buri area and knows every thing about living like a local and loving it. We are new to the area. Got a condo but don't want to feel like tourists. We want to know where to shop, where to get the best deals, how to not get ripped off, your best handyman, maid etc. We are here for a week of research. Thank you! 

Looking for an English speaking person- local or expat who lives in Jomtien, Chon Buri area and knows every thing about living like a local and loving it. We are new to the area. Got a condo but don't want to feel like tourists. We want to know where to shop, where to get the best deals, how to not get ripped off, your best handyman, maid etc. We are here for a week of research. Thank you! 
Don't go to walking street, soi 6 or bukhao and you'll already do ok. Off course still do your shopping at Tesco and big c and Makro but also at the local wet market off Thepprasit road in the morning... And the 2nd hand markets opposite Tukcom.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, reenatinnakor said:

Don't go to walking street, soi 6 or bukhao and you'll already do ok. Off course still do your shopping at Tesco and big c and Makro but also at the local wet market off Thepprasit road in the morning... And the 2nd hand markets opposite Tukcom.

Why not Buakhao?

True that when I lived oop North and in Isaan I considered Buakhao a cheap charlie dump to be avoided but since moving down I have actually spent time there and quite like the area now....

OP,  I'm in Jomtien and a few of us meet up for regular Friday afternoon drinks at Rompo,  wifes and GFs. PM If interested.

Edited by Peterw42

16 hours ago, reenatinnakor said:

The "2nd hand markets opposite Tukcom" are on soi Bukhaow but you have already told the BM to avoid it......:cheesy:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Thainovice 88 said:

don't want to feel like tourists. We want to know where to shop, where to get the best deals, how to not get ripped off, your best handyman, maid etc.

If you don't look like a Thai, you will always be a "tourist'' to them, no matter how long you live here, especially if you don't speak fluent Thai.

Shopping in Pattaya, hmmmm. Literally hundreds of places to "shop", and finding a place that YOU like is part of the "fun". Malls for fixed prices, and local shops to bargain in.

Best deals- how good are you at bargaining?

How not to get ripped off. Good luck with that!

Best handyman. Word of mouth probably. I never found one that did a better job than I could myself.

Maid. Really?

• Like 1

Big traditional market on Pattaya Thai. Hundreds of locals work and eat in SB and, WS. Go to the Issan club on WS. Use the fitness trail on Pratumnak near big Buddha. Or the fitness park just behind the Pattaya Sign. 

Other big market on SB near Pattaya Thai.  Third Rd for eating and drinking with the local Thais. Handyman and maids.. Ask your condo manager 

Edited by The manic

4 hours ago, petermik said:

The "2nd hand markets opposite Tukcom" are on soi Bukhaow but you have already told the BM to avoid it......:cheesy:

He obviously meant to avoid the bar area of it,not the market end ,

Edited by Rimmer
flame removed