Best Fish And Chips In Bangkok?

english_farang_lady

For the best Fish and Chips go to a little restaurant called BKK Express on Sukumvit soi 11. It's in the little soi on the left that parallels the main soi. The best I've ever had and for only 150 baht.

Near Cheap Charlies, Pickled Liver, etc. you mean?

For the best Fish and Chips go to a little restaurant called BKK Express on Sukumvit soi 11. It's in the little soi on the left that parallels the main soi. The best I've ever had and for only 150 baht.

Near Cheap Charlies, Pickled Liver, etc. you mean?

I was there yesterday (Sunday) but they were closed. It's near Pickled Liver and Charlie Brown. I don't know Cheap Charlie.

Sorry guys, I cant believe this question, asking for fish and chips in Thailand? Give me a break. What about german sausages, french baguette or greek meza? This is Thailand, can't you really accept thai kitchen with all it's varieties? Have you tried it? Fish and chips is soooo cheap and unhealthy. I know all my brit friends love it, but why?

Ok, I'm fat myself so I cannot be an example. I don't want to criticise as I have many UK friends, just wonder why one would like fish and chips in BKK

Joe

Some of us live here and eat Thai food every day for years, is it really too much to ask to want to eat western food once in a while and not be criticized for it by a Thai apologist? :o Unbelievable :bah:

Sorry guys, I cant believe this question, asking for fish and chips in Thailand? Give me a break. What about german sausages, french baguette or greek meza? This is Thailand, can't you really accept thai kitchen with all it's varieties? Have you tried it? Fish and chips is soooo cheap and unhealthy. I know all my brit friends love it, but why?

Ok, I'm fat myself so I cannot be an example. I don't want to criticise as I have many UK friends, just wonder why one would like fish and chips in BKK

Joe

Some of us live here and eat Thai food every day for years, is it really too much to ask to want to eat western food once in a while and not be criticized for it by a Thai apologist? :o Unbelievable :bah:

Hear, hear! :clap2:

Joe

Just found this one in Khon kaen, seem to have a lot, is it as good as they say? www.rashers.co Farang food at it's best, well

Joe

Just found this one in Khon kaen, seem to have a lot, is it as good as they say? www.rashers.co Farang food at it's best, well

:unsure: They don't sell fish and chips though! :huh:

• 1 month later...

You might want t try Fat Gutz on Thong Lor..

Pricey buy nicey!

FatGutz is definitely the best I've found in Thailand. If this Soi 11 place is good it could be a nice, cheaper and more conveniently located alternative though.

I've just come back from a visit to FatGutz and I can vouch for the quality of the food there. Fish is John Dory and excellent value for money. Draught Guiness as well. Only one snag - the place is small and you sit crammed round a small (low) table. Worth a visit on a non-crowded evening like a Sunday!

The best, by far is actually The Ship Inn about 20 yards further towards Soi Cowboy. I take visitors there who always comment that it is better than blighty!

Agreed, Fish and Chips at The Ship Inn are great!!

Oh My Cod!! is also very good.

There's a couple more fish and chip joints in the vicinity of Soi Cowboy that haven't been mentioned (in descending order):

* The best is in the Queen Victoria Inn. They give you 2 large slabs of fish in beer batter, it's pretty good.

* The Australian pub (Boomerang bar?) near the entrance to Soi 23 sells fresh seabass fish and chips. Fish is quite fresh.

* The old Dutch at the entrance to SC is ok but not great.

* There is another a couple of doors down from the Ship Inn that has cod, but their oil tends to be a bit old. Not so keen on that.

I haven't tried the Ship Inn's fish, but they used to make a pretty good pie. The best I've found in Thailand though is Goose's Fish and Chips in Pattaya. They have quite an exotic range of imported fish including haddock, halibut, and turbot (the best).

I look forward to trying the other places mentioned in this thread!

Edited by Crushdepth

The best I've found in Thailand though is Goose's Fish and Chips in Pattaya. They have quite an exotic range of imported fish including haddock, halibut, and turbot (the best).

Even the John Dory fish is much better than cod anywhere else that I have tried in Thailand. Goose's is truly excellent! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

The Auzzie Bar in Sukhumvit Soi 11 has what I think are the best fish n chips use ever had in my life. Honestly. That good. Tasted fresh instead of frozen... which it should be. Plus great football playing on the TVs while we ate.

Full disclaimer: I'm an American, so my opinion in this thread is probably worth little, but I've had my share of fish and chips around the world - though I absolutely abhor mushy peas. Got to be darned near drunk to enjoy something like that. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Make your own.

The fam and I have fish, chips and mushy peas every week. It's really easy to do and I have had friends round to try it and they say it's the b0ll0cks!

The Cap.

• 6 months later...

There is a newish fish and chip place in the quiet soi that runs parallel to soi 11 where cheap charlies is. New Zealand imported fish, quite a variety. Best Ive had in bangkok by far and the price is ok. They only sell imported seafood from nz it seems snapper, gernard,southern kingfish and some others.

• 1 month later...

I'll second the vote for Fat Gut'z, have had the fish n'chips there several times, delicious, ditto the chips. One order is plenty for two people. Best to come before 9pm, when it starts to fill up.

I recently tried the fish n'chips at Firehouse, also excellent. The house speciality is burgers, but they have the second best f&c I've yet tried in Bkk.

http://www.firehouse...fish-and-chips/

I've had the f&c at most of the other spots mentioned in this thread, most are Ok save for Ship's Inn, horribly greasy.

Edited by SpoliaOpima

I'll second the vote for Fat Gut'z, have had the fish n'chips there several times, delicious, ditto the chips. One order is plenty for two people. Best to come before 9pm, when it starts to fill up.

I recently tried the fish n'chips at Firehouse, also excellent. The house speciality is burgers, but they have the second best f&c I've yet tried in Bkk.

I've had the f&c at most of the other spots mentioned in this thread, most are Ok save for Ship's Inn, horribly greasy.

Sorry for drifting off topic but have you tried the burgers at Firehouse? Any good?

• 2 months later...

Sorry for drifting off topic but have you tried the burgers at Firehouse? Any good?

Yes, they are excellent. Buffalo wings are too.

I've had second opinions about Fat Gutz. Although it does taste good (helped my LOADS of salt), the fish is just too thin and it isn't good VFM. I definitely want their batter recipe though.

It isn't proper Fish & Chips, but still nice (ish)...