How to transport scooter that won't start?

Yoken123

Hi all,

The previous mechanic put a 30amp fuse in a 15.5amp socket and it looks like the electrical system is shot. I need to move the bike to a mechanic to get it fixed and unfortunately don't know anyone with a ute. How do the locals normally do this? Is there a service?

If one of you far more knowledgeable expats can point me in the right direction, I'd very much appreciate it. (I can't wheel it anywhere myself either as i'm on crutches!).
Also interested in the next steps for holding the original mechanic accountable (Yamaha dealer). 

Cheers.

Edit: Located in Rawai

Edited by Yoken123

1] make up your mind what mechanic you want

2] tell that mechanic to pick up the bike and fix it

3] bite the pillow on the shop you bought it from,

you will not get anywhere on financial compensation,

you bought it 'as is'

Edited by poanoi
  • Thanks 1

A pickup, two or better three strong men and some rope.

The front wheel is lifted first onto the loading bay and then the more heavy back.

Motorcycle fixed on the loading bay of a pickup is an everyday scene.

In Pattaya you will often see half a dozen on the pickup. Just that the pickup is labeled "police" or the like :biggrin: Towing Thai style.

On the other hand: ask at a repair shop first whether they would come to your place and inspect.

They might have an idea how to fix on site.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:59 PM, Psimbo said:

The normal drill is get a mate to come by on another scooter.

Take yours out of gear and put your foot on his as he 'gently' pulls away.

At least that's what most of the Thais in Kamala do!

Exactly, my son called a friend who did just that.

You have to be Thai to can do that as we Farangs are clueless. :cheesy:

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Beats56 said:

Did you read the post. Hé is on crutches.

Henricus is right! You might meet Jesus half way - end up running the rest of the way! 

Jesus was reported in India - must have come to Thailand, then.

5 hours ago, Yoken123 said:

Thanks everyone who responded, you're certainly right about picking a mechanic and then all the nail biting! :laugh:
I ended up getting a friend to ask a "big bike" shop for some jumper leads just to rule out the battery, and failing that, transport. 15 minutes later 2 Thai's rocked up instead! They tried unsuccessfully to jump start it however they managed to start the bike by cleaning and re-seating the damn fuse! I'd re-seated them myself and replaced the 30amp for the 15.5 it's meant to have. Apparently I hadn't pushed it down enough and somehow the original had gotten loose or something 0_0. Fingers crossed i'm just a numpty and it starts tomorrow with no issue. Total cost: 100thb

Thanks all!

If it happens again, squeeze the contacts together a bit so they are tighter on the fuse.

What Thais do?

First of course not sure where you are located?  But crutches or not there should be a shop in your neighbor maybe not like where you purchased the bike but you are in a spot so your choices are limited.

Once you find the shop tell them your situation, many have a side cart and fit it into it or what most do, they come with two kids on the bike one rides your's and the other ride and stick his leg out and pushes the dead bike. Give them a good tip usually 40 baht enough for a bowl of noodles.

As for the shop forget it,  just because they are dealers don't mean they provide the best service.

On 4/5/2018 at 3:22 AM, Yoken123 said:

Thanks everyone who responded, you're certainly right about picking a mechanic and then all the nail biting! :laugh:
I ended up getting a friend to ask a "big bike" shop for some jumper leads just to rule out the battery, and failing that, transport. 15 minutes later 2 Thai's rocked up instead! They tried unsuccessfully to jump start it however they managed to start the bike by cleaning and re-seating the damn fuse! I'd re-seated them myself and replaced the 30amp for the 15.5 it's meant to have. Apparently I hadn't pushed it down enough and somehow the original had gotten loose or something 0_0. Fingers crossed i'm just a numpty and it starts tomorrow with no issue. Total cost: 100thb

Thanks all!

The joy of owning a bike here! The Thai mechanics know what they're doing and charge an honest amount for the most part.