Motorcycle Registration - Few Years' Lapse

st11x

Hi,

Has anyone renewed their bike license after several years' lapse? My bike hasn't been used and I had been overseas, so it hasn't been registered since maybe 2012. Do I just show up at Nong Hoi and pay this year's registration or it is not that simple?

thanks

Matt

21 minutes ago, johng said:

You'll have to get a certificate of road worthiness  from an official testing center, pay all the unpaid  "back years"  of tax and a small fine at the very least.

Thanks. I'm only here for a couple of months, and then maybe years later, not sure if it's all "worth" the effort then. Just have to avoid the areas around the moat in the day time if I want to use the bike. 

Matt

6 minutes ago, johng said:

One good reason to do it is so that you will be insured in case of an accident

I assume you have a license too..if all legal then you don't have to avoid any areas at all.

I have the international license. I used to have the 5 year Thai license but it has expired, getting it back is also another hassle since I am leaving again soon.

Matt

I would just do it the legal way then no hassles.

To pay the back taxes  and get bike certified the  whole thing might cost you a thousand baht,100 baht for each years tax and certification I think is 50 baht.. Why piss around just pay the 1000 and be done with it. No avoiding going certain areas no fear of police stop Lots of peace of mind for 1000 baht

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

I would just do it the legal way then no hassles.

To pay the back taxes  and get bike certified the  whole thing might cost you a thousand baht,100 baht for each years tax and certification I think is 50 baht.. Why piss around just pay the 1000 and be done with it. No avoiding going certain areas no fear of police stop Lots of peace of mind for 1000 baht

If it's only 1K or 2K, then it definitely makes sense to pay it. We'll go to Nong Hoi and confirm the figure. It could have been 7-8 years already, we feared the figure is substantially higher.

Matt

2 hours ago, rebo said:

It will definitely not be higher than 1000 THB as long it's a bike not bigger than 150 cc.

I just got back from Nong Hoi. The total was right about 1K THB. I think the bike had not been registered for over 8-10 years.

The process involved a bit of a running around, but it was not too bad. They took our old plate and will issue us the new one next week, so in the meantime, I have to carry a piece of paper with me. The breakdown:

1. 323 for the 1 year insurance 
  2. 372 for the fine
  3. 315 for the new plates

Matt

• Like 1

1 hour ago, st11x said:

315 for the new plates

Didn't expect (and don't understand the necessity of) a new plate. Our oldest bike is 13 years old and runs with the first plate.

1 hour ago, rebo said:

Didn't expect (and don't understand the necessity of) a new plate. Our oldest bike is 13 years old and runs with the first plate.

They said our plates had already been canceled owing to the lapse. If we had informed them prior to leaving, then the plates would have been preserved and we wouldn't have been fined.

Matt

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, rebo said:

Relatively new law (I believe) that if your road tax is not paid for more than 3(?) years your registration is cancelled and you must re-register and obtain a new plate. 

17 hours ago, st11x said:

I just got back from Nong Hoi. The total was right about 1K THB. I think the bike had not been registered for over 8-10 years.

The process involved a bit of a running around, but it was not too bad. They took our old plate and will issue us the new one next week, so in the meantime, I have to carry a piece of paper with me. The breakdown:

1. 323 for the 1 year insurance 
  2. 372 for the fine
  3. 315 for the new plates

Matt

Congrats glad it worked out good for you. Enjoy your bike

4 minutes ago, johng said:

Interesting...so you didn't have to get it inspected for road worthiness or pay the tax for years you missed ?

I did have to get the bike inspected, the 372 is including the road tax and the fines. Not going to question them on that ;-)

Let's see if we have to pay anything further come Monday when I pick up the new plates.

Matt