Veterans

tom_a

Are there any veterans on this site who use the V.A. foreign medical program? I qualify and have the form to fill out but my concern is how good the program is...I'm an above knee amputee and occasionally need repairs, replacement parts, etc., etc., and also take medication for phantom pains. So, obviously, I think I would benefit from talking with anyone who has actual experience with the program. I'd like to thank anyone in advance for any help they can provide.

Sincerely,

Tom

Are there any veterans on this site who use the V.A. foreign medical program? I qualify and have the form to fill out but my concern is how good the program is...I'm an above knee amputee and occasionally need repairs, replacement parts, etc., etc., and also take medication for phantom pains. So, obviously, I think I would benefit from talking with anyone who has actual experience with the program. I'd like to thank anyone in advance for any help they can provide.

Sincerely,

Tom

I am part of a group of vets who are working diligently to establish an American Veterans of Foreign Wars Post here in Chiang Mai and I believe that several of our group are using the VA Foreign Medical Program.

If you send me a PM with contact informtion, I can surely put you in touch with at least one of them who can supply the information you need.

I think the nearest VA hospital is in the Philippines. You can pay for the medical and send in TRICARE forms to get your money back. Contact JUSMAG in Bangkok. There is a retirement officer in the compound and he can give you up to date information. That is also the place to sign-up for Space-A flights. Jim

Sincerely,

Tom

I think the nearest VA hospital is in the Philippines. You can pay for the medical and send in TRICARE forms to get your money back. Contact JUSMAG in Bangkok. There is a retirement officer in the compound and he can give you up to date information. That is also the place to sign-up for Space-A flights. Jim

Well, not exactly.

There is no VA Hospital in the Philippines but there is a VA Outpatient Clinic in Pasay City. The clinic can provide emergency hospitalization at a contract hospital or provide transportation to the US for service connected disability care. Be advised that treatment at the Outpatient Clinic requires prior authorization.

TRICARE and Space-A flights are available to retirees but not veterans with disabilities.

Edited by Dustoff

Also try posting on the Isaan Forum as there is a lot of US veterans living in Ubon, Udon.

Also good luck in starting the VFW, I saw the notice at Rimping at Tarndong.

Agreed and thanks for the good luck wish. For American veterans who served in a combat zone, the VA provides members with a wealth of benefits such as free personal accident insurance, assistance in securing veteran's benefits, substantial car rental, hotel and insurance discounts, a free subscription to the VFW Magazine and Pentagon Federal Credit Union eligibility.

A local Post is also extremely helpful to surviving wives of deceased combat vets, widows who would possibly have no idea how to secure the VA benefits available to both themselves and their eligible children.

And you are right about Udorn - lots of vets and there is a VFW Post there with an excellent Service Officer.

da Dustoff

For questions about Tricare in Thailand contact the Tricare representatives at JUSMAGTHAI in Bangkok. They assisted me when I had an accident here in Chiang Mai. Tricare paid 75% of my hospital care here in Chiang Mai.

Tipthida Suwannadhat (Thida)

CM/TRICARE Representative, Thailand

Attn: TRICARE Office

JUSMAGTHAI

APO AP 96546

Tel: (662) 287-1036 Ext 512

Fax: (662) 287-1575

Mobile: (661) 751-0963

E-mail: [email protected]

I am interested to know how I can support you in establishing an American Veterans of Foreign Wars Post in Chiang Mai. My wife is Thai and we live part of the year in Chiang Mai and part in the U.S. I am a retired vet and would like to make the acquaintance of other veterans in the Chiang Mai area. At the present time I am not a member of the VFW. If there is anything that I can do to support your efforts from where I am this day, please feel free to contact me.

Jim

Also try posting on the Isaan Forum as there is a lot of US veterans living in Ubon, Udon.

Also good luck in starting the VFW, I saw the notice at Rimping at Tarndong.

Agreed and thanks for the good luck wish. For American veterans who served in a combat zone, the VA provides members with a wealth of benefits such as free personal accident insurance, assistance in securing veteran's benefits, substantial car rental, hotel and insurance discounts, a free subscription to the VFW Magazine and Pentagon Federal Credit Union eligibility.

A local Post is also extremely helpful to surviving wives of deceased combat vets, widows who would possibly have no idea how to secure the VA benefits available to both themselves and their eligible children.

And you are right about Udorn - lots of vets and there is a VFW Post there with an excellent Service Officer.

da Dustoff

I'm a retired U.S. vet who lives in Chiang Mai but never been associated with a VFW. What would the benefits of having a VFW here?

In this thread is a list of benefits generally published by the VFW and

practiced by almost all Posts.

I see the benefit as enjoying the company of people who understand what

being in a Combat environment is. In addition being around people who are

genuinely interested in your welfare and located in your community.

I'm a retired U.S. vet who lives in Chiang Mai but never been associated with a VFW. What would the benefits of having a VFW here?

In this thread is a list of benefits generally published by the VFW and

practiced by almost all Posts.

I see the benefit as enjoying the company of people who understand what

being in a Combat environment is. In addition being around people who are

genuinely interested in your welfare and located in your community.

Dustoff, perhaps we should set a time and place for us veterans to get together. I'm willing to try. We could start quarterly and move to monthly if there is enough interest.

Dustoff, perhaps we should set a time and place for us veterans to get together. I'm willing to try. We could start quarterly and move to monthly if there is enough interest.

As I wrote earlier in this thread, there is a group already spearheading this effort; we are having our second meeting on 8 Feb here in CM near the intersection of Canal and Samong Roads. There were eight of us at the first meeting (which went very well indeed) and I will not be surprised if we have at least double that number at the next one. Top-notch guys one and all and dedicated to making this happen.

All qualified vets (campaign ribbon on your DD-214) are welcome at the meeting including those who are not sure if they qualify. If you PM me I will be happy to provide directions, time, etc.. If you don't know how to send a private msg from this message, please ask or I will be happy to PM you or anyone else interested. If you know anyone else who indicates interest, bring em along!

Regards, Dustoff

I want to thank everyone who took the time to answer my post. I always enjoy reading this section of the forum simply because of the active involvement by you folks and the replies are usually mature, pleasant, informative, and civil.

Sincerely,

Tom

I want to thank everyone who took the time to answer my post. I always enjoy reading this section of the forum simply because of the active involvement by you folks and the replies are usually mature, pleasant, informative, and civil.

Sincerely,

Tom

Unusual, ain't it? Unfortunately. And not bad for a bunch of combat veterans, eh? :o

When you are in CM and have some time, please get in touch. I am always open to meeting like-minded mature, pleasant, informative and civil people...

Regards, Ken

• 7 months later...

Sincerely,

Tom

Unusual, ain't it? Unfortunately. And not bad for a bunch of combat veterans, eh? :o

When you are in CM and have some time, please get in touch. I am always open to meeting like-minded mature, pleasant, informative and civil people...

Regards, Ken

would you want to include a tired- retired fast mover crew chief from Khorot?

Tom

Regards, Ken

Tom

Absolutely! I flew as a helicopter pilot in Nam for 18 months, primarily med-evac.

Our efforts to start a VFW post here are progressing along nicely and we only need four more vets who are not current members to become an official CM Post. It is not necessary that you live in CM, only that you have a campaign ribbon on your DD-214. If you or anyone else is interested in helping us get this rolling, your first year's membership will be paid by us and you will become a charter member of the Chiang Mai VFW Post.

For me, the biggest advantage to being a member, besides connecting with fellow combat vets, are the incredible efforts made by the Post Service Officers over here to assist our families in the event of our death. I have a Thai wife and the chances are slim that she would figure out how to obtain the survivor benefits available to her and our son when I am comfortably dead.

I have only been involved in this effort for a little while but have had to opportunity to meet some of the finest and friendliest fellow vets imaginable from all of the various services and experience.

Welcome home, brother.

Ken

Regards, Ken

Tom

Absolutely! I flew as a helicopter pilot in Nam for 18 months, primarily med-evac.

Our efforts to start a VFW post here are progressing along nicely and we only need four more vets who are not current members to become an official CM Post. It is not necessary that you live in CM, only that you have a campaign ribbon on your DD-214. If you or anyone else is interested in helping us get this rolling, your first year's membership will be paid by us and you will become a charter member of the Chiang Mai VFW Post.

For me, the biggest advantage to being a member, besides connecting with fellow combat vets, are the incredible efforts made by the Post Service Officers over here to assist our families in the event of our death. I have a Thai wife and the chances are slim that she would figure out how to obtain the survivor benefits available to her and our son when I am comfortably dead.

I have only been involved in this effort for a little while but have had to opportunity to meet some of the finest and friendliest fellow vets imaginable from all of the various services and experience.

Welcome home, brother.

Ken

I'll be happy to sign up to help give you the required numbers, but I'm not a 'meetings' sort of person.

I used to be a member of the VVA but that was years ago while I was still dealing with the dreams. Thanks to the VA and to the 'Vet Center' rap sessions with others with similar experiences, they've stayed away for the past 27 years. I left the war behind me and don't want to bring it back. I think you understand. Let us know the where and when for the next meeting to sign up.

Thanks, FolkGuitar.

Our next meeting is this coming Saturday the 8th @ 11:30am at the Bali Restaurant in the "Home In Park" gated community.

The Muban is located on Canal Road, 1.4 Km South of the Samoeng Road intersection. There is a bridge over the canal on the right and you will see a guard gate. Go straight in and park right after the tennis courts on the left. The entrance to the 2nd floor restaurant is down the path between the tennis courts and the large building/offices next to them. A lunch menu is available and the food is quite good.

Since we are not an official Post as yet, the meeting is pretty kicked back, no war stories, and we munch lunch as we brainstorm this thing (which is now very close to happening) together. I am not a meeting type person either and have no desire to re-live war experiences but this Post is going to be a wonderful benefit to American veterans and especially their spouses in the Chiang Mai and Northern territories area. Come on along and bring a copy of your DD-214!

vfwmap.jpg

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via PM.

Edited by Dustoff