DLT confirms its intolerance of taxi drivers rejecting passengers

webfact

DLT confirms its intolerance of taxi drivers rejecting passengers

PNSOC610405001004901.jpg

BANGKOK, 6th April 2018, (NNT) - The Department of Land Transport (DLT) has reaffirmed its intolerance of taxi operators rejecting passengers. 

The comment was made following several reports of such incidents made on April 2nd, when residents of the capital experienced rain in the city, giving taxi drivers an excuse to reject passengers. The incidents were recorded, posted and shared on various social media outlets. 

The DLT has already taken steps to discipline these drivers, punishing them in accordance with the regulations. The department is also considering an increase in the severity of the punishment against such violators, while urging consumers being rejected by taxi operators to take a video clip and report the incident to the department. 

DLT Director-General Sanit Promwong reassured the public that his agency is vigilant about the matter, saying that action has been taken against these violators where evidence could be brought to prove their guilt. Currently, taxi operators who reject passengers are subjected to paying a fine of no more than a thousand baht, attending an ethics class and being listed in the department’s records. Those found repeating the offense will have their licenses revoked. 

He said the sole duty of taxi operators is to deliver passengers to their destinations, thus it is highly inappropriate for them to reject passengers, especially during rush hours. 

Director-General Sanit also stressed that rejected passengers should include crucial information, along with a video clip or images. The information should include the vehicle's license plate, the driver’s name and the date and time of the incident.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-04-06

39 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

The information should include the vehicle's license plate, the driver’s name and the date and time of the incident.

รูà¸�ภาà¸�à¸�ีà¹�à¹�à¸�ีà¹�ยวà¸�à¹�อà¸�รูà¸à¸ à¸²à¸à¸à¸µà¹à¹à¸à¸µà¹à¸¢à¸§à¸à¹à¸­à¸

Assuming he had just rolled down the window and refused to open the door.....my bad

4 minutes ago, coulson said:

Assuming he had just rolled down the window and refused to open the door.....my bad

Not your bad actually,  :thumbsup: you were mostly correct.  Many drivers lock the doors when cruising and drop the passenger window just enough to hear you say the name of the place to which they do not wish to go. .

The only easily visible ID is the taxi license plate.  

When I used to use taxis in Bangkok some years ago, I would always get in the back seat first and tell him my destination and let him decide. These days, apparently, with well armed taxi drivers, you risk a machete or knife attack if you argue with them.

• Like 1

A little bit off topic: Some taxis have now a green LED sign to show they are available (ว่าง). Does it have any special meaning, will this be the new colour or is every taxi driver free to chose the colour he wants?

11 minutes ago, Stokakrishna said:

Then open the door, get inside and  sit. I never ask driver through the window.

I always get in first.  

Read ratcatchers post above.

I've tried that a few times, goes nowhere very fast. It can even go South easily with the wrong attitude.

They mostly lock the doors anyway.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, grego49 said:

Most only open passenger window and ask your destination then drive off, bit hard to get their name.

You ignore the open window and get in, and if he doesn't want to do his job you can take a photo of his ID on display (which might not actually be him, which is another violation) and then his license number inside the taxi on the door.

And when you've done that be prepared to ward off an attack with fists, a baseball bat or a machete. Maybe even a gun which one driver threatened me with. Not that Thais like confrontation though. Or so we're always being told in the tourist literature.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, coulson said:

Read ratcatchers post above.

I've tried that a few times, goes nowhere very fast. It can even go South easily with the wrong attitude.

They mostly lock the doors anyway.

If they lock their doors, problem solved. I refuse talk through the window to such <deleted>.

But it had nevrr actually happened to me. I always get in through the back doors.  

In thailand anything could get you in

troubles. Even smile could be  a reason for trouble. When i get in the taxi i assume the worst. So far been ok.   

At least i do something. I take photo, i get in the taxi.

Not just whinging: ohh i couldnt take photo cause they driver let me in...

What da <deleted>?? Are you like 5 year old??? 

In your country, do you get in first or also  talk through the window??

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Well, I guess that is a start, though not stopping to pick up passengers is only one aspect of the poor service provided by the drivers.

Maybe it would be a smarter move to highlight ALL the grievances passengers experience, issue a penalty system for all of them, and then we might be able to get a taxi, actually pay the metered rate and get to our destination  without drama.

Not stopping to pick up passengers isn't an offence, rejecting them after stopping is the offence!  Taxi drivers not looking for a fare cannot be fined simply for driving along the road and not stopping!

In reality getting a metered taxi, on the meter in Bangkok, is not too difficult apart from a few bad apples.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Stokakrishna said:

Then open the door, get inside and  sit. I never ask driver through the window.

I always get in first.  

Yep, when a driver just rolls down the window, just forget it. He is taking you anywhere.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stefanix said:

A little bit off topic: Some taxis have now a green LED sign to show they are available (ว่าง). Does it have any special meaning, will this be the new colour or is every taxi driver free to chose the colour he wants?

Those are the taxis of the new TaxiOK app that can be booked on line or hailed in the street.  They also have a different roof sign.

If you have a choice hail them over other taxis as they are all new vehicles, have CCTV inside the taxi and have emergency buttons on the left B-pillar between the front and back doors for the passengers to use.  So far not one I have used has refused, bit like All Thai Taxi, they just go where the passenger wants.

untitled.png

Edited by Just Weird

13 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Not stopping to pick up passengers isn't an offence, rejecting them after stopping is the offence!  Taxi drivers not looking for a fare cannot be fined simply for driving along the road and not stopping!

In reality getting a metered taxi, on the meter in Bangkok, is not too difficult apart from a few bad apples.

I do wonder why so many drive straight past with their red for hire light on. Just one of the many things about Thailand that I can't understand. If you are not picking up passengers why is it so hard to turn the light off.

16 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I do wonder why so many drive straight past with their red for hire light on. Just one of the many things about Thailand that I can't understand. If you are not picking up passengers why is it so hard to turn the light off.

I agree even though it makes no difference whatsoever to anyone as they are not stopping and no one is inconvenienced but I don't agree with your altering my comment by changing the emphasis!

9 hours ago, kannot said:

Please show  us how  many and in what way they were disciplined...exactly?

Reading the OP would tell you...

"Currently, taxi operators who reject passengers are subjected to paying a fine of no more than a thousand baht, attending an ethics class and being listed in the department’s records. Those found repeating the offense will have their licenses revoked". 

56 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You ignore the open window and get in, and if he doesn't want to do his job you can take a photo of his ID on display (which might not actually be him, which is another violation) and then his license number inside the taxi on the door.

And when you've done that be prepared to ward off an attack with fists, a baseball bat or a machete. Maybe even a gun which one driver threatened me with. Not that Thais like confrontation though. Or so we're always being told in the tourist literature.

The best alternative is to ignore all taxis cruising with their passenger window open, wanting to interview potential passengers.  By definition, getting a ride with them is probably not going to be easy.  The ones with closed windows are the one to go for.

In 10 years of living in Thailand must have read the same story at least 10 times.

....I guess it makes a Thai 'journalists' life easy. Nothing that it going to get you banged up for 15 years for libel, lese majeste, or sedition. Just change the date on last years copy and recycle.

Welcome to Thailand

Edited by GinBoy2

43 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

I agree even though it makes no difference whatsoever to anyone as they are not stopping and no one is inconvenienced but I don't agree with your altering my comment by changing the emphasis!

Your comment is justified. I meant to quote one part but in error highlighted the entire piece, and decided the best course of action was to bold the relevant area. Sorry if I offended.

• Like 1