Sunglasses

sanemax

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Shops are businesses and business's are there to make a profit .

You may feel comfortable , buying cheaper goods and then taking those to a more expensive shop to get them checked for authenticity . I would happily go in there , if they provided a paid for service , but I feel uncomfortable being a free loader , its the same as buying a beer form 7/11 and taking it to a bar and drinking it in the bar without buying anything from the bar .

You may not feel uncomfortable doing that , BUT , I do .

The price wasnt my main concern , as after research on line (BEFORE you kindly told me how to use google)I found out that cost doesnt always mean quality , some of the more expensive sunglasses offer less protection than the more cheaper ones and I didnt want to buy expensive glasses , that were just 30 Baht market ones with a sticker on them .

Then why not simply pay the more expensive shop for the service they render to you?

1 minute ago, watcharacters said:

Then why not simply pay the more expensive shop for the service they render to you?

The opticians only seem to sell designer sunglasses at around 3000 B , non designer ones are about 300 Baht from shoe shops, so you are paying 2700 Baht to have ray-ban written on your glasses . 

Thats alot of extra money to pay for just having a label on it

I did actually buy two pairs of sunglasses .

They also had a pair on sale for 29 Baht and the shop assistant claimed that they were also UV resistant .

I didnt think that they would be that cheap , so he was either lying or the shop had put the wrong price tag on them .

29 Baht , cant really go wrong

There are a couple of things to consider when buying sunglasses.

Firstly the price; in this case 29 Baht. Sounds good to me.

Next: do they fit?! No point in buying ones that are not comfortable.

Next: do they look good on you? Don't want to look like a dork.

Next; colour! The frames not the shades. Would they match your favourite shirt?

Next; do they do the job. Can you look into the sun and not have to squint?

Next: designer stuff. I have a pair of 'Kukur'. Makes me look very suave.

Thanks Sanemax; a thought provoking post. 

Just don't put them into your back pocket and sit down.

Edited by owl sees all

15 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

I understand what you are saying now but that is not what you said originally.  I copied and pasted what you said originally!

You did not amend that post after posting it, if you had amended it the post would show as having been edited!

I amended my original post when you said that do not other countries have a problem in my second post when I said ok worldwide if you are going to buy sunglasses. 

• Confused 1

Regular plastic eyeglass lenses block most UV light, but adding a UV-blocking dye boosts UV protection to 100 percent for added safety. Other eyeglass lens materials, including polycarbonate and most high-index plastics, have 100 percent UV protection built-in, so an extra lens treatment is not required for these lenses.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/lenses/coatings.htm

So even the cheapest sunglasses you can find will be uv protecting, without any coating required, unless the lenses are made of glass

6 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Firstly the price; in this case 29 Baht. Sounds good to me.

I did buy two pairs of sunglasses , I only bought the 29 Baht ones..because they were 29 Baht and it was stated that they are also UV resistant .

The other pair of sunglasses were quite a bit more than 29 Baht

5 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Regular plastic eyeglass lenses block most UV light, but adding a UV-blocking dye boosts UV protection to 100 percent for added safety. Other eyeglass lens materials, including polycarbonate and most high-index plastics, have 100 percent UV protection built-in, so an extra lens treatment is not required for these lenses.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/lenses/coatings.htm

So even the cheapest sunglasses you can find will be uv protecting, without any coating required, unless the lenses are made of glass

There are some sunglasses that give no UV protection at all and these are much worse than wearing no sunglasses at all

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

Will you stop putting labels on me ?

I am not "overly sensitive " or " worried" , and I do feel that its taking a liberty , buying goods from one shop and then going into another shop to check authenticity  .

You also didnt "educate me" , I asked how to check for U.V. and you gave a link to check for polarisation .Which are two different things .

Yes, I knew that I can go to an optician to get them checked , but I wanted to know whether there was a way of finding out BEFORE I bought them .

You didnt know the answer , so dont try to come across as a Mr know it all

Don't take it personal apparently he does know it all. Rates himself quite highly.

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I did buy two pairs of sunglasses , I only bought the 29 Baht ones..because they were 29 Baht and it was stated that they are also UV resistant .

The other pair of sunglasses were quite a bit more than 29 Baht

29 ฿  is clearly a silly price if you expect any quality at all.

I conclude you're for some unknown reason just trolling.   I know some people enjoy doing that.

I recommended  taking your 29 ฿ glasses to what you call a more expensive place so you could  assuage your concerns by paying the "more expensive" store for the services they rendered to you.

Good luck.

Edited by watcharacters

Just now, sanemax said:

There are some sunglasses that give no UV protection at all and these are much worse than wearing no sunglasses at all

So you want to claim that the website doesn't know what they are talking about?

Plastic and polycarbonate are UV resistant by default, en de lenses of cheap sunglasses are made from either plastic or poly carbonate

1 minute ago, watcharacters said:

29 ฿  is clearly a silly price if you expect any quality at all.

I conclude you're for some unknown reason just trolling.   I know some people enjoy doing that.

I recommended  taking your 29 ฿ glasses to what you call a more expensive place so you could  assuage your concerns by paying the "more expensive" store for the services they rendered to you.

Good luck.

Please read all the posts .

I bought the more expensive sunglasses and I noticed another pair at a discounted price and so I also bought the discounted pair as well .

I suspect that they are not very good and if that is the case, then I will thrown them away (although it was stated that they are UV protected) .

I thought that they may have wrongly priced them , and so I also bought them on that possibility . 

I already stated that in this thread and posted two different photos of two different pairs of sunglasses , so, do not accuse me of trolling , just because you havent read the thread

10 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

So you want to claim that the website doesn't know what they are talking about?

Plastic and polycarbonate are UV resistant by default, en de lenses of cheap sunglasses are made from either plastic or poly carbonate

I am, yes .

Not all sunglasses give UV protection

Just now, sanemax said:

I am, yes .

Not all sunglasses give UV protection

Wonder why you started a thread with the questions, as it becomes clear now that you even know more about the subject than professional organisations.

Like some other poster said already, clearly a troll thread.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Wonder why you started a thread with the questions, as it becomes clear now that you even know more about the subject than professional organisations.

Like some other poster said already, clearly a troll thread.

Just do a websearch *Sunglasses no UV protection* and read the results

• Haha 1

Just now, sanemax said:

Just do a websearch *Sunglasses no UV protection* and read the results

Read which results, those posted by companies related to the expensive sunglass companies.

Why you don't do a much simpler search, and which will give you results from companies that have no agenda.

Here I did it for you

https://www.google.com/search?q=is+plastic+uv+blockinhg&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Read which results, those posted by companies related to the expensive sunglass companies.

Why you don't do a much simpler search, and which will give you results from companies that have no agenda.

Here I did it for you

https://www.google.com/search?q=is+plastic+uv+blockinhg&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab

That is regarding plastic in general and not specifically sunglasses

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

non designer ones are about 300 Baht from shoe shops

Are you buying your sunglasses from shoe shops?  I am beginning to understand the problem!  I hope you do not buy shoes at opticians as they have a limited size selection.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did actually buy two pairs of sunglasses .

They also had a pair on sale for 29 Baht and the shop assistant claimed that they were also UV resistant .

I didnt think that they would be that cheap , so he was either lying or the shop had put the wrong price tag on them .

29 Baht , cant really go wrong

DSCF1915.JPG

I hope you at least tried to haggle the price down a but first.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

I'm not being argumentative, I'm commenting on what you said which seemed to suggest that worldwide people tend not to buy knock-offs or buy from unreliable sources.  That is clearly untrue.  Here's your quote...

"Sure they do.  Ok.  Worldwide, when purchasing sunglasses tend not to buy cheap knock offs or from unreliable distributors as there will be no guarantee of their quality".

I will have to agree with JW on this one....also the other guy seems to have gotten out of the wrong side of bed today and is bickering on multiple threads.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Are you buying your sunglasses from shoe shops?  I am beginning to understand the problem!  I hope you do not buy shoes at opticians as they have a limited size selection.

The shop is primarily  shoe shop , which sells other things as well .

1 hour ago, torrzent said:

I bought my 'Kukar' sunglasses at a shoe store in Nong Khai (shop sells other stuff too; lottery tickets and fishing tackle etc,,) Paid a lot more than 29 baht. But they are still going strong after 5 years. Still look the bizzo.

ps. Gold plating is peeling off on the right arm.

Edited by owl sees all

Jeez,  i missed my Saturday muay thai today.........had to settle for painstakingly reading 4 pages of this

thread.    yes, i know, nobody forced me.   Now if i can only remember where i put my damn glasses.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I bought my 'Kukar' sunglasses at a shoe store in Nong Khai (shop sells other stuff too; lottery tickets and fishing tackle etc,,) Paid a lot more than 29 baht. But they are still going strong after 5 years. Still look the bizzo.. Gold plating is peeling off on the right arm.

Reading up about U.V protection , I now know that UV protection of sunglasses wears off after a certain amount of time

49 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I bought my 'Kukar' sunglasses at a shoe store in Nong Khai (shop sells other stuff too; lottery tickets and fishing tackle etc,,) Paid a lot more than 29 baht. But they are still going strong after 5 years. Still look the bizzo.

ps. Gold plating is peeling off on the right arm.

Errmmm, what is 'Kukar' BTW?

Ray-bans, Vuarnet, Serengeti, and Oakley are all good I used to be a collector now I need prescription so stuck to a few pairs only. An expensive Hobby once you get into prescription.

Won’t buy anywhere except Japan or USA too many fakes. eBay all fake. I wouldn’t trust my eyes with cheap glasses from Zchina those people will even sell poison baby food.

Another thing about Ray-Bans. Airline pilot glasses, can’t be polarized. The windshields of the planes are already polarized so polarized sunnies would cause distortions.

Ray-bans, Vuarnet, Serengeti, and Oakley are all good I used to be a collector now I need prescription so stuck to a few pairs only. An expensive Hobby once you get into prescription.

Won’t buy anywhere except Japan or USA too many fakes. eBay all fake. I wouldn’t trust my eyes with cheap glasses from Zchina those people will even sell poison baby food.

Another thing about Ray-Bans. Airline pilot glasses, can’t be polarized. The windshields of the planes are already polarized so polarized sunnies would cause distortions.

It’s nice that you proscriptions direct from some companies.

I got a new pair of wafers with progressives last time I was in the US, can’t tell them from off the shelf.

if ye wear specs already to correct your vision then 'clip on' shades is the way to go...especially the ones that flip up to horizontal when not needed, they are sooo cool...that's all that I've been wearing fer years now...

but they are hard to find, I suspect that optical shops don't carry them as they are a cheap alternative to all the designer bullshit...

1 minute ago, tutsiwarrior said:

if ye wear specs already to correct your vision then 'clip on' shades is the way to go...especially the ones that flip up to horizontal when not needed, they are sooo cool...that's all that I've been wearing fer years now...

but they are hard to find, I suspect that optical shops don't carry them as they are a cheap alternative to all the designer bullshit...

I suggest going to  0:40 seconds for a close up look at "cool" shades.

To each his own and I fully agree they are cost effective, but only that for your's truly.