How much over the limit to avoid a speeding ticket?

inThailand

The automated picture-through-the-post systems are very tight. I got a 1k Baht fine for 123 in a 120 limit (expressway coming north out of BKK).

As Jdiddy notes, when it's a copper all bets are off.

thrush hold 0. I was stopped by a police officer doing 124 on the expressway from airport to city (limit is 120). I was really angry as most car speedometer are analog and pretty much impossible to go on the exact limit. I tried to argue it was less than 10% above the limit. Nothing helped. They got many drivers that day, all official, nothing under the table

The speed limit is the speed limit... the idea of the threshold in the UK is to account for the 'speedometer' error in our cars (and potential calibration shift / error in the cameras)

Here in Thailand, no consideration is given to such minor issues... If you've been caught going over the speed limit, you are over the speed limit regardless of what your car speed suggests. 

If you are Photographed that's it... you have to pay the fine. 

If a police officer stops you, there is more flexibility depending on your calm, polite, reasonable and respectful persona and what type of day the Policeman is having. 

Also, the BiB can sometimes pull you over for speeding without any evidence and they claim 'speed camera' down the road (the may do this at traffic lights etc).

But commonly, if you are pulled over for speeding, especially for 123kmh on a 120kmh expressway you were one of the unlucky ones caught, that's all there is to it. 

Equally so, be thankful it was just a small fine and no points etc 

Edited by richard_smith237

I can't speak for Thailand but I expect the rules for vehicle speedometers will be similar.

UK regulations are -0  +10% so your speedo will never under-read, you will always be going slower than indicated.

Both my vehicles read about 8% high according to GPS.

Sure the limit was 120? That expressway has very mixed signage with lit and fixed limit speeds at odds with one another and camera signs listed with symbol at 120kmh. TIT though - the word ‘why’ should be expunged from your vocabulary. Makes life easier.

Uh, let's see; if the speed limit is 120, why would you expect to get away with 121? If you speedometer is incorrect, that is your problem. If the speed signs were incorrect, this is Thailand. You are wrong, suck it up and pay.

3 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

Had 2 Speedtickets in BKK, sent by Post: +4 Km/h + 27 Km/h, both 500 THB.

I was facetiously talking about on the spot fines as I think a discussion about how much you are allowed to speed by on this forum, when so many, spend so much time talking about Thai people and their atrocious driving habits is a bit hypocritical. Though thanks for outlining the prices you can expect to pay if you get caught by camera. Cheers. 

I wonder how many Thai drivers know the approximate stopping distance (perfect car & road conditions)...I don't know. How many foreign drivers know? I don't know I've never asked. I do know that at 90 km/h (common Thai speed limit) the approximate answer is going to be around 60 meters and at 120 km/h is about 100 meters (reaction time at 1 second). I suppose the OP just likes to test risk factors...oh well...

13 hours ago, Crossy said:

The automated picture-through-the-post systems are very tight. I got a 1k Baht fine for 123 in a 120 limit (expressway coming north out of BKK).

As Jdiddy notes, when it's a copper all bets are off.

I had a fine for 121 in a 120 zone. 1,000 baht. Which means there is no tolerance at all.

I am surprised at tickets at 1or 2 kms over the 120 speed limit. Most highways outside BKK are 90 kms. Maybe a lower tolerance for speeders on 120 expressways?

I do not like to speed but if you travel around most if the time you make poor time so when you get some open road and less traffic you open it up.

Keep going through them at different speeds and find out the threshold. 

Camera fines are easy to get off if you have family/friends who are police, but as long as you receive the fine in the same province as they work. Outside of that province is more hassle than the fine is worth.