Thailand zoo horror revealed in sickening snaps showing emaciated animals shackled in tiny cages

webfact

BLOODIED AND CHAINED 

Thailand zoo horror revealed in sickening snaps showing emaciated animals shackled in tiny cages

Brit photographer exposes what he dubs as ‘wildlife house of horrors’ at Pata and Phuket zoos while tourists

By Patrick Knox

sun.jpg

This poor orangutan seems to have given up as it lay in a filthy cage with no stimulants or food to eat

THESE heartbreaking images of zoo animals caged after being exploited in sick shows are enough to shock anyone. 

The inhabitants of these cages are there solely to be watched by tourists, which lays bare the sheer cruelty that passes for entertainment in Thailand.

Orangutans are shown being forced to fight in boxing rings with gloves strapped to their hands, an elephant performs tricks on a stone stage and then afterwards they are locked up with the others in hellish conditions. 

Environmental photojournalist Aaron Gekoski witnessed the shows on a tour of the country's zoos and is now campaigning for more restrictions over the industry.

Full story: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6006446/thailand-zoo-animal-cruelty-cages/

-- THE SUN 2018-04-10

I visited a zoo when I was seventeen years old and I still remember it like yesterday.

The most telling thing was looking at an ape (not sure what kind) sitting on a cement floor, just staring off into the distance. At one point, the ape looked over to where I and the other people were standing, and as I saw his eyes I realized that it was an intelligent being. An intelligent being who was forced to sit on a concrete floor all day being gawked at.

There and then I took a solemn vow NEVER to go to a zoo again, and I never have.

Zoos are bad, evil places that should be shut worldwide; animals aren't there to be shown off, animals have a right to an existence as much as we do.

Close every zoo on the planet!!!

1 hour ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

“It really was a wildlife house of horrors."

I have been to Phuket "Zoo" and it was a very sad experience, will never visit Safari world with my family after seeing these pictures. 

I made the mistake of visiting that zoo several years ago with my then 4-5 year old daughters. It's not really a zoo, but more of a place they take animals to die a very long sad and slow death.

1 hour ago, stanleycoin said:

Vote with your feet.

There are plenty of other places and things to do with your kids

now days,  we don't require or need Zoos any more, let them all close.

Animals belong in the wild not in cages. :jap:

Don't jump to the conclusion that all zoos are the same. Many are at the forefront on conservation efforts and their research has been invaluable in many areas.  They are responsible for the survival of a number of endangered species and successfully reintroducing some species back into the wild.  The Smithsonian for example is one of the world leaders in conservation biology and it's mission is to save wildlife and habitats.

Makes me so angry.....!! How the hell can people treat animals like this?

Especially in a Buddhist country....clearly only Buddhist by name...

Yes it's disgusting! Here's another example of animal cruelty from a zoo in London, U.K this year.

How can this happen in a Christian country...clearly only Christian by name...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvIlAM9h7Dk&app=desktop

49 minutes ago, futsukayoi said:

Don't jump to the conclusion that all zoos are the same. Many are at the forefront on conservation efforts and their research has been invaluable in many areas.  They are responsible for the survival of a number of endangered species and successfully reintroducing some species back into the wild.  The Smithsonian for example is one of the world leaders in conservation biology and it's mission is to save wildlife and habitats.

To be honest man, most of those places are just business as well, with people on the gravy train of government hand outs or charity and most species will ultimately end up in cages or restricted pens as well.

so what if a few species go extinct, its natural selection taking place helped by us,  the top of the food chain.

you got to be cruel to be kind. 

Shut the zoo's down and let the business of animals in cages stop.

:jap:

45 minutes ago, amdy2206 said:

I am not a fan of zoos but they do have a place. If you haven't, you should visit Khon Kaen zoo. It is not perfect but the animals are well cared for and have plenty of space.

Not a fan of zoos, yet encouraging us to visit this one? While some World Class Zoos may have their place and actually serve a purpose for threatened species...most are cruel, disgusting, unnatural, unnecessary animal prisons. Surely your fave fits at least 2 of the above. :post-4641-1156693976:

The pata zoo has already closed. It was getting old and run down. However, when it was built  ( before the open zoo concept) it followed standard zoological care of the time. The cages were always kept clean and the animals recieved round the clock health care. The large gorilla and the orangutan were a bad choice because of their size. But they were always well cared for and cages were spotless clean. It did used to be an orangutan family. When my son was a child we went there every month. He learned about birds, snakes, and deer. Fed the goats and sheep. A lot of the animals wondered around freely. The zoo staff were well qualified and the zoo strived to provide a loving and caring enviroment.I have to disagree with the man, that most likely went to the zoo once and took a few pictures, without out any investigation into the true care and challenges that this little zoo faced. Thousands of thai city children met farm animals and various species for the first time in their lives. One of the important things staff taught children was how to treat the animals kindly and abuse of any kind was addressed in a non threatening educational way. 

My son still remembers his first introduction to animals at pata zoo. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Environmental photojournalist Aaron Gekoski witnessed the shows on a tour of the country's zoos and is now campaigning for more restrictions over the industry.

He enjoys criticizing Thailand, just Thailand as he said nothing on his facebook about animal cruelty when he visited Cambodia. Every country has animal cruelty, why doesn't he concentrate his efforts on stamping this out in the U.K before bringing world attention to Thailand's problems.

The only thing i can say is it brings tears to ones eyes how sad, public awareness how these animals are miss treated. Where are the groups PETA,WORLD WILDLIFE FUND and the rest of these international groups. The animals need to be taken away from these places.

2 hours ago, BuaBS said:

And then all the outraged here go back to their dinner and eat the meat coming from abused and savagely butchered animals.

Some of us stopped eating meat years ago for that exact reason.  And the results are looking younger and felling better, as well as,  obtaining moral high ground.  

6 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

“It really was a wildlife house of horrors."

I have been to Phuket "Zoo" and it was a very sad experience, will never visit Safari world with my family after seeing these pictures. 

I haven't been to any zoo since taken (once) as a child - even at a very young age it upset me to see animals in cages.

As an adult, it wouldn't even cross my mind to visit Phuket zoo!

Having said that, I was ignorant enough to go on an elephant ride a decade (or so) ago.  Another experience I won't be repeating :sad:.

If he works for the Sun - why is he crowdfunding for another trip? He earns money pay for it yourself!!!!!! 

Also upon arrival in Thailand have a feeling that he’ll be arrested and sued for defamation- (unless that’s what his crowdfunding is for? - bail!!!!) 

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I visited a zoo when I was seventeen years old and I still remember it like yesterday.

The most telling thing was looking at an ape (not sure what kind) sitting on a cement floor, just staring off into the distance. At one point, the ape looked over to where I and the other people were standing, and as I saw his eyes I realized that it was an intelligent being. An intelligent being who was forced to sit on a concrete floor all day being gawked at.

There and then I took a solemn vow NEVER to go to a zoo again, and I never have.

Zoos are bad, evil places that should be shut worldwide; animals aren't there to be shown off, animals have a right to an existence as much as we do.

Close every zoo on the planet!!!

While on a emotional level I agree with you closing zoo's would also have negative impacts. Zoo's maintain breeding projects for rare and endangered animals. The funding comes in part from visitors. Unless the world is ready to stop destroying habitat and poaching animals closing zoo's will guarantee extinction of animals. Keep in mind many young people developed their love and fascination of animals from visiting the zoo I know I did.

Archived