Pattaya throws up two of the brightest students in the land - 100% in Maths and English

webfact

I8

45 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

But what do you know? GIYF.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30321396

Click on the Oct 22 2014 above and go page 3 post #39 for sample test.These are a decent challenge for primary : I just did problem # 4 : The correct set up for this algebra word problem : (60-x) - 2x = 48.            x = number wrong answers.        60-x = number right answers

• Like 1

On 4/10/2018 at 3:24 PM, mvdf said:

Google exacting to know and understand what most schools probably don't teach in the United States. Thank you.

On 4/10/2018 at 2:21 PM, Bob12345 said:

Did he really say that or did the reporter score around average (25%) on his exam in the past?

[Or am i naking a fool out of myself and is this the correct word?]

You are definitely NAKING a fool out of yourself. Googled it but no results.

• Confused 1

Well I got 49 out of 50 on a Thai Driving test theory paper.  The examiner admitted the one I got wrong was right - it was the question that was wrong. 

It is possible to get 100% on a Language paper as some are Multiple Guess Questions where you stick a pin in a list of four alternative answers.

16 hours ago, morrobay said:

I8

Click on the Oct 22 2014 above and go page 3 post #39 for sample test.These are a decent challenge for primary : I just did problem # 4 : The correct set up for this algebra word problem : (60-x) - 2x = 48.            x = number wrong answers.        60-x = number right answers

he got 6 answers wrong and 54 answers right.Even though the 6 wrong answers are scored at 2x that just means the original 6 wrong plus a penalty of 6 more makes a total of 12 subtracted from 60 which equals 48.

On 4/10/2018 at 3:42 PM, NormanW said:

As suggested we'd like to look at the said exams. Sadly we never will.

Well done all the same ???

I believe he had to make some lucky guesses at what the writer was thinking at the time of writing the test. I help teach O-Net prep at my school with the assistance of copies of "Sample Tests" and the amount of ambiguous possibilities as well as out right wrong answers is staggering.

Example: A sign posted at the park shows a dog with a crossed circle around it basically meaning "No Dogs Allowed".

The question asked: "What does the sign above mean?" 

A. Keep your dog on a leash

B. Tie your dog to a tree

C. It's ok for your dog to play with kids

D. Don't let your dog play with kids

It turns out that the answer scored as correct was D although it technically isn't correct. The only way we were able to determine this to be 100% true was to submit 4 answer sheets, 1 each with A, B, C, and D  answers selected.

24 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

I believe he had to make some lucky guesses at what the writer was thinking at the time of writing the test. I help teach O-Net prep at my school with the assistance of copies of "Sample Tests" and the amount of ambiguous possibilities as well as out right wrong answers is staggering.

Example: A sign posted at the park shows a dog with a crossed circle around it basically meaning "No Dogs Allowed".

The question asked: "What does the sign above mean?" 

A. Keep your dog on a leash

B. Tie your dog to a tree

C. It's ok for your dog to play with kids

D. Don't let your dog play with kids

It turns out that the answer scored as correct was D although it technically isn't correct. The only way we were able to determine this to be 100% true was to submit 4 answer sheets, 1 each with A, B, C, and D  answers selected.

There are two different signs. One shows a dog, the other sign shows a person and a dog. Answer D would only make some sense if the sign showed a person and a dog in a crossed circle. 

4 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

There are two different signs. One shows a dog, the other sign shows a person and a dog. Answer D would only make some sense if the sign showed a person and a dog in a crossed circle. 

Answer D would never make sense.

In case only a dog in a crossed circle, the correct answer is missing from the list as it would be no dogs allowed, while if there was a person next to the circle it answer A would be the most probable, but even then not completely correct

52 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

I believe he had to make some lucky guesses at what the writer was thinking at the time of writing the test.

Perhaps they were intelligent inferences. It seems the vast majority of other students who receive low scores just aren't lucky eh.

Well, the campaign by the old men of TVF to denigrate the students' achievements is full swing. Thais can't do math; Filipinos must have poor English; so they were superb guessers! Now if the tests were published for our ace TVF Board Of Examiners, and ALL the questions were discovered unambiguous (by the few members who could understand them) and suitably challenging, then--the examiners were bribed to mark all the answers correct! Or it was cheating--a farang, probably a TVF member (Brit), must have secretly communicated the correct answers via a phone modified to appear off!

There's no end to it.

Edited by JSixpack

20 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

11 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Answer D would never make sense.

In case only a dog in a crossed circle, the correct answer is missing from the list as it would be no dogs allowed, while if there was a person next to the circle it answer A would be the most probable, but even then not completely correct

My example was not meant to assume I believe there was a correct answer, only to show an example of the types of questions and answers given on the test.

9 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Perhaps they were intelligent inferences. It seems the vast majority of other students who receive low scores just aren't lucky eh.

Well, the TVF campaign to denigrate the students' achievements is full swing. Thais can't do math; Filipinos must have poor English; so they were superb guessers! Now if the tests were published for our ace TVF Board Of Examiners, and ALL the questions were discovered unambiguous (by the few members who could understand them) and suitably challenging, then--the examiners were bribed to mark all the answers correct! There's no end to it.

Not sure why you would quote me believing I am trying to belittle the achievement of any child. You should maybe get more sleep. As a teacher, I'm very student centric in my approach to teaching and couldn't care less about nor disagree more with the "Teacher can never be wrong" mentality.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrwebb8825 said:

My example was not meant to assume I believe there was a correct answer, only to show an example of the types of questions and answers given on the test.

My conception was that you used an example from a previous o-net test, and then I would only assume that there should be a correct answer, otherwise the test is nothing more than a waste of time and resources.

7 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Not sure why you would quote me believing I am trying to belittle the achievement of any child. You should maybe get more sleep. As a teacher, I'm very student centric in my approach to teaching and couldn't care less about nor disagree more with the "Teacher can never be wrong" mentality.

I've seen a lot of very similar questions, agreed. 

On 10/04/2018 at 10:16 AM, jenny2017 said:
ex·act·ing
iɡˈzaktiNG/
adjective

1. making great demands on one's skill, attention, or other resources.
    "living up to such exacting standards"
    synonyms: demanding, stringent, testing, challenging, onerous, arduous, laborious, taxing, grueling, punishing, hard, tough More

Now check 'naking' ?

1 hour ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Not sure why you would quote me believing I am trying to belittle the achievement of any child.

Because your point is a given and too trivial to mention. Except perhaps for a few geniuses (which isn't being claimed for these two), students always guess on tests and it would be stupid not to. Smart guessing is a perfectly legit and recommended strategy. No doubt many of us have seen ambiguous questions in which you must choose the answer likely wanted, not the one for which you could make a case. Nor is your example taken from the actual test but merely a practice test. Whether it's representative, and of how many on the actual test, you dunno. And you dunno whether the guesses were "lucky" or simply shrewd.

You should maybe get more sleep.

Maybe you should. We got that out of the way now? You really ever been a teacher? :post-4641-1156694572:

As a teacher, I'm very student centric in my approach to teaching and couldn't care less about nor disagree more with the "Teacher can never be wrong" mentality.

Good. 'A' for the day, teach. But the task for these students wasn't to care or disagree with that mentality--no doubt they know it well--but to ace those tests. Which they did, admirably. Go, Pattaya! :clap2:

3 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

he got 6 answers wrong and 54 answers right.Even though the 6 wrong answers are scored at 2x that just means the original 6 wrong plus a penalty of 6 more makes a total of 12 subtracted from 60 which equals 48.

Wrong : 4 wrong. You need to re read problem . 60 questions final score calculated by subtracting 2 times wrong answers from total correct answers. In your non algebra you subtracted from total (60)   The score was 48 So thats 56 - 8

• Like 1

On 4/12/2018 at 1:10 PM, morrobay said:

Wrong : 4 wrong. You need to re read problem . 60 questions final score calculated by subtracting 2 times wrong answers from total correct answers. In your non algebra you subtracted from total (60)   The score was 48 So thats 56 - 8

I reject your reality and substitute my own. :wai:

55 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

I reject your reality and substitute my own. :wai:

The reality here is elementary algebra , from problem statement: Let x = number wrong, let 60 - x number right. So 60-x - 2x = 48. Then -3x = -12.  Therefor x = 4

Edited by morrobay
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, morrobay said:

The reality here is elementary algebra , from problem statement: Let x = number wrong, let 60 - x number right. So 60-x - 2x = 48. Then -3x = -12.  Therefor x = 4

Excellent. Beat me to it before I got around again to this thread. Perhaps part of the problem w/ most Thais' having low scores isn't only the system but also those who "help teach O-Net prep at my school." As you pointed out, and our teacher's effort has verified, this little problem is fairly advanced for primary school students. In the USA (back then, anyway) we didn't do any algebra until first year of high school.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

Two in 65 million!  A very small percentage.

Pattaya's a lot bigger than it used to be, but it still doesn't have quite 65 million yet. Are you also a teacher?

18 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Pattaya's a lot bigger than it used to be, but it still doesn't have quite 65 million yet. Are you also a teacher?

The population of Thailand is approximately 65 million - I was not referring to the population of Pattaya.

3 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

The population of Thailand is approximately 65 million - I was not referring to the population of Pattaya.

OH. But you see the article is focused on outstanding performances this year by two students among population of Pattaya, so upsetting the usual TVF anti-family narrative about our beloved cesspool. It doesn't speak to the entire population of Thailand. So how did you figure out that only two students in Thailand--these--and no others in the entire country got 100%?