Higher Retirement Age Floated For Aging Gov’t Workforce

webfact

Higher Retirement Age Floated For Aging Gov’t Workforce

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

14591932841459193316l-696x392.jpg

BANGKOK — A plan is in the works to raise the retirement age for government workers to 63 by 2024.

The current age of 60 would be increased by three years within six years’ time, if a plan outlined in the Royal Gazette on Monday is implemented as part of a new national reform plan proposed by the ruling junta.

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-04-10

Absurd how quickly they introduced this, shows little looking ahead in the past.

If you are close to retirement and already counting down the months you can add another year to that now. That will do wonders for the already low productivity. 

Only positive is my mother in law will need to work an extra year so we can postpone building her a house another year. Plus she will continue living on 800km away another year.

• Haha 1

In many western nations, the current trend in white collar jobs, is to push people to work practically till they die......

But what to say for certain professions ?...I have some doubts on the efficiency say of a firefighter or a police officer being able to do his job on the field even at 55 or 58 years old....and the so called "inactive" desk jobs are getting more and more scarce in such fields of work......

..and what about pilots ? air trafic controlers ? .train drivers ? ...I definately would not feel safe with a person of 65 or 70 years old manning the joystick....

Please do not misunderstand....there is an enormous potential in seniors with their experience of life and work and many are very fit....just that on such delicated fields, it is irresponsable to force people to work even until 60 years old......but once again, it is all about money and safety always seems to come last.

In Europe, some professions like police, air trafic controlers, firemen etc. can take their retirement at 54 to 58 years with a decent and very well deserved pension and I find that perfectly normal.

Do I detect an ulterior motive? Could this proposal have come from those high up in the civil service and at the top of the distribution pyramid wanting to stay on a bit longer to cash-in for a few more years before retirement?

Edited by Cadbury

11 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

In many western nations, the current trend in white collar jobs, is to push people to work practically till they die......

But what to say for certain professions ?...I have some doubts on the efficiency say of a firefighter or a police officer being able to do his job on the field even at 55 or 58 years old....and the so called "inactive" desk jobs are getting more and more scarce in such fields of work......

..and what about pilots ? air trafic controlers ? .train drivers ? ...I definately would not feel safe with a person of 65 or 70 years old manning the joystick....

Please do not misunderstand....there is an enormous potential in seniors with their experience of life and work and many are very fit....just that on such delicated fields, it is irresponsable to force people to work even until 60 years old......but once again, it is all about money and safety always seems to come last.

In Europe, some professions like police, air trafic controlers, firemen etc. can take their retirement at 54 to 58 years with a decent and very well deserved pension and I find that perfectly normal.

In the article I read on the subject, the retirement age will not increase for those in government jobs that require high levels of physical fitness. It applies more to desk bound types of jobs.   

Many will be happy to keep their fingers in the till for another three years.   However; people like my Wife who was a Midwife, treated as an underpaid slave by Hospital Management for 25 years with no 'perks' whatsoever will be lot less pleased !

LAPD can retire in 20 years but in that line of work 20 years can be an eternity. After 25 years you get free lifetime medical for you and your spouse. That’s a benefit you can’t beat.  Some choice to work longer 

but change to something easier than a beat cop. Detective,desk etc. 

Should be be the same for Firefighters 

Pension age is being pushed up in many countries as people are living longer.  In the UK the amount of qualifying years, the yearly contribution, and the retirement age are all increasing, and the payout is already lower than most.  You can't get a quart out of a pint pot.  All pension givers seem to be bad at handling the pot.  To an extent it has also been subsidized.

7 hours ago, observer90210 said:

I do think the last generation (sorry if that includes you) never had it so good regarding pensions.  I understand you did your 30 years or so and probably did it well, but it is just a matter of simple maths that your contributions could not possibly finance 20-30 years of retirement at close to final salary.

I just hope something sensible is worked out.  For me it would be better for everyone if contribution years increase as well as the amount.  In the UK they are considering a pension related to occupational demands, as well as anticipated life expectancy, because as you mention some things can clearly not be done at 70.  But this in the far future.

Raising the retirement age by 3 years in the next 6 years is problematic. Because this could disrupt many people who have planned in their retirement to future plans, but the bigger problem is that recruitment to government positions will be drastically curtailed - and nearly all government vacancies are already sought after by too many candidates, This will only add to graduate unemployment. And unemployed, educated people in their 20's are likely to become governments biggest challenge - and ripe for political radicalism.

This is already one of the biggest problems not only in the developed world, but the rest of it as well. Practically every country now churns out far more graduates than they can possibly employ.

4 hours ago, rickudon said:

Raising the retirement age by 3 years in the next 6 years is problematic. Because this could disrupt many people who have planned in their retirement to future plans, but the bigger problem is that recruitment to government positions will be drastically curtailed - and nearly all government vacancies are already sought after by too many candidates, This will only add to graduate unemployment. And unemployed, educated people in their 20's are likely to become governments biggest challenge - and ripe for political radicalism.

This is already one of the biggest problems not only in the developed world, but the rest of it as well. Practically every country now churns out far more graduates than they can possibly employ.

Likely, those nearing retirement would be exempted from the change.  This was the case in the uk, where 1,2, and 3 year increases have been brought in according to age.  Of course nobody likes this sort of thing, but life expectancy across the world has risen.

Yes, life expectancy is rising, and paying for pensions is an issue. But abrupt change causes problems, and this is being implemented within 6 years. But the bigger issue by far is what do you do with unemployed young people, particularly those with education and (dashed) expectations? They are not going to  quietly wander off into the rice fields.

7 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

As you would expect ANYWHERE in the world

I would not expect it in the USA where it's often termed "government-employment welfare" or somesuch. I experienced it close-up and personal when I worked for the (bloated) US government as a contractor in Washington DC.

Edited by MaxYakov