New blue bus service (Airport-Moat-Nimman)

weary

3 hours ago, NancyL said:

The app and the map referenced in post No. 28 just shows the R3 route.  You may wonder about the little bus icons that appear to be wandering off course.  Well, those buses are on the R1 route, not shown on either the app or the map of post No. 28.  Hubby got on an R1 bus today, kind of by accident, because their routes overlap on Huay Kaew between Kad Suan Kaew and Maya Mall.  The R1 bus continues down Huay Kaew to the Zoo, doubles back to the Chang Puek bus station, goes around the NE corner of the Old City, heads down Chang Moi, into Warorot Market, across the Narawat Bridge, past McCormick Hospital and Prince Royal college, stops at the Arcade Bus station and eventually ends up at Central Festival.

Hubby rode that route today -- 45 minutes from the Zoo to Central Festival, all in aircon comfort.  Gave him time to buy a Rabbit card for future rides.  He can top it up at any McDonald's.  Bus driver insisted on a photo of him and another white guy buying their Rabbit cards on the bus.  He's probably on someone's Facebook now.  

Of course since this "hidden" route is called R3 (Hubby says the front of the bus was labeled R3) and the app shows the R1 route to the airport, it begs of the question of whether there's an equally hidden R2 route.  Anyone seen a bus labeled R2?

The RTC FaceBook page now posts a picture of the mysterious R1 route. For those who don't use FaceBook, if you google the CCCC Map, it also displays the R1 route with picture (just search "RTC" when you open the map). Hopefully, the RTC folks will update their app soon.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, NancyL said:

The app and the map referenced in post No. 28 just shows the R3 route.  You may wonder about the little bus icons that appear to be wandering off course.  Well, those buses are on the R1 route, not shown on either the app or the map of post No. 28.  Hubby got on an R1 bus today, kind of by accident, because their routes overlap on Huay Kaew between Kad Suan Kaew and Maya Mall.  The R1 bus continues down Huay Kaew to the Zoo, doubles back to the Chang Puek bus station, goes around the NE corner of the Old City, heads down Chang Moi, into Warorot Market, across the Narawat Bridge, past McCormick Hospital and Prince Royal college, stops at the Arcade Bus station and eventually ends up at Central Festival.

Hubby rode that route today -- 45 minutes from the Zoo to Central Festival, all in aircon comfort.  Gave him time to buy a Rabbit card for future rides.  He can top it up at any McDonald's.  Bus driver insisted on a photo of him and another white guy buying their Rabbit cards on the bus.  He's probably on someone's Facebook now.  

Of course since this "hidden" route is called R3 (Hubby says the front of the bus was labeled R3) and the app shows the R1 route to the airport, it begs of the question of whether there's an equally hidden R2 route.  Anyone seen a bus labeled R2?

R3 is the big loop, R1 is the new one to Cen Fes.  There is no R2 yet.

(Image below is in high-resolution and shows stop in Farang language.)

full map ENG_V2.jpg

Way to go, Winnie!  

Now they're really cooking.  The map legend implies there will be a R2 route in the future.  I hope it will be a North-South route, like up to Nakorn Ping Hospital/Lanna Golf Course/gov't buildings and south to Hang Dong.  The addition of that route would really tie the region together by bus.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2018 at 7:13 PM, NancyL said:

Yesterday, the RTC Smart Bus folks finally launched their R2 bus route which runs from the CM airport to Promenada and back. Included in its stops are Rajavej Hospital. All of the large malls and most of the major CM hospitals are now connected by one of the RTC bus routes (major exceptions Bangkok CM Hospital and Lanna). R2 route hours are 8am-8pm — too late for many who want to be at Immigration earlier. However, the new RTC routes which run past the soon-to-open Airport Provincial Immigration office start earlier. According to this map RTC is also supposed to open a north-south B4 route soon http://www.cmtransit.com/r2b4/.

RTC R2 : B4.jpg

Its good to have all these new bus services 

But there seems to be numerous different companies with different buses on different routes .

I do feel that it would be better off there was just one bus company , running all the buses , advertising all the routes together , rather than individually 

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

But there seems to be numerous different companies with different buses on different routes .

I do feel that it would be better off there was just one bus company , running all the buses , advertising all the routes together , rather than individually 

The CCCC map (google) has most of the new RTC routes listed together on the same map. You're right about different bus companies offering various routes. Many of those services have come and gone. The RTC is the newest kid on the block - air-conditioned and only 20 baht. Let's see what it looks like a year from now.

17 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Right now, all these routes are run by the same outfit, the RTC Smart Bus people.  Hubby has developed a new hobby of riding around in the buses, checking out the new routes -- he'll be happy to learn of these new ones.  

Sadly, the CM Transit by RTC Android phone app still shows just the R1 route and this morning doesn't show any buses moving around at all, although it does put in the pin to show my location.  Wonder if all the buses turned off their GPS monitors or if they're updating the app?  It's a handy app.  

4 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Right now, all these routes are run by the same outfit, the RTC Smart Bus people.  Hubby has developed a new hobby of riding around in the buses, checking out the new routes -- he'll be happy to learn of these new ones.  

Ok. But it would be better if all the buses were the same , there are the large blue buses and the small white mini vans and maybe a few other varieties , also, the bus stops along the way are not marked , or they are not prominent .

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

Sadly, the CM Transit by RTC Android phone app still shows just the R1 route and this morning doesn't show any buses moving around at all, although it does put in the pin to show my location.  Wonder if all the buses turned off their GPS monitors or if they're updating the app?  It's a handy app.  

Looks like RTC's app may be tracking their busses again. While the new R2 route does not show, you can still observe its busses wander off like rogue Pac-Men between the airport and Promenada in the east. http://chiangmai.yusai.asia/app/#/app/map

11 minutes ago, CMsojourner said:

Looks like RTC's app may be tracking their busses again. While the new R2 route does not show, you can still observe its busses wander off like rogue Pac-Men between the airport and Promenada in the east.

Yeah, it's like watching a slo-mo Pac-Man.  It seems that they're adding some of the stations on the new R2 route, labeled in Thai.  This is one of the times I'm glad I learned to read Thai, but I don't know that part of town well, so while I can pronounce the name of a school that is the name of a station, for example, I have no clue about where it is.  

On 4/11/2018 at 8:23 AM, NancyL said:

They really need to do more publicity both in English and Chinese for the tourists for these buses.  I don't have a problem with the songthaews, but I can speak enough Thai where they know that I live here and know the landmarks. 

But I cringe when I hop on a songthaew at Maya Mall and watch a small group of Chinese tourists thrust their phone onto the driver to indicate where they want to go.  That's a long light and usually the songthaews can fill up with Chinese tourists.  Often one in their group can speak enough English where I can ask where they're going and how much they're being charged.   Usually, they're being ripped off.  I don't say anything, but just smile and nod.  Better than having them on motor scooters. 

Lol--I lived by Nimman and watched this daily as I rode my bicycle--Agreed 100%...The tuk tuk drivers loved the $$$

Those busses are great. Rode one on a complete circuit yesterday. Saw a place selling pop corn and poppers, an accounting company, two shops selling foldable beds, Hubby, four phone battery shops, a visa agent, lots of rain coats for sale, Vegemite on sale, two paper recycling places, and many lovelies. Tomorrow I will ride again looking carefully for the 3B store and the Porsche dealer.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect

8 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Those busses are great. Rode one on a complete circuit yesterday. Saw a place selling pop corn and poppers, an accounting company, two shops selling foldable beds, Hubby, four phone battery shops, a visa agent, lots of rain coats for sale, Vegemite on sale, two paper recycling places, and many lovelies. Tomorrow I will ride again looking carefully for the 3B store and the Porsche dealer.

Yeah, Hubby told me his activity yesterday was riding around checking out the new R2 route.  Thanks for the confirmation.  I'd suspected he was just over at No. 1 bar, judging by the GPS tracker on his phone.

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:13 PM, NancyL said:

Gave him time to buy a Rabbit card for future rides.

Do you NEED a Rabbit card or can you just hand the driver 20 Baht, say nothing and ring the bell when you want off?

If you NEED a Rabbit card where/how do you get them?

Also the bus stops are shown on the map but I cannot find any markers/signs on the ground as to exactly where the stops are.  Can you just flag the bus down if you are in the vicinity of the mapped stops?

There is a person acting as a conductor on board who will take your 20 baht and who can sell you a Rabbit card for 200 baht, if you want.  No need to buy one, however.  Hubby reports that sometimes there isn't a conductor, just a driver and the ride is free.

If you look hard enough, Hubby tells me you can find markers for the stops.  I couldn't find the one for a stop near our condo and I've been able to flag them down, but Hubby says they won't stop for people who aren't close to a stop.  He says he's seen people trying to wave them down like you do a songthaew and they won't stop, unless you've very close to an actual marked stop.

As for getting off, there are red buttons to push near the center door, but the driver has a pretty idea when he sees someone standing up near the door that they want to get off at the next stop.  Again, they will only stop at regular bus stops, not in between.  (Drat, sometimes I can slip the drivers for the free mall shuttle buses 20 baht and they'll stop at an unauthorized place for me that's along the route.)

You know, combining the free mall shuttle buses with this new 20 baht bus service can become a new pastime with bragging rights for retired expats with time on their hands.  We could come up with tales of the complex trips taken for next to no money.  

Kind of like how we used to have threads about where you could get the cheapest plate of pad thai and which restaurants served free water.  

7 hours ago, NancyL said:

(Drat, sometimes I can slip the drivers for the free mall shuttle buses 20 baht and they'll stop at an unauthorized place for me that's along the route.)

Just like paying a bit for extra service anywhere, immigration included.

8 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Just like paying a bit for extra service anywhere, immigration included.

At least with the bus drivers, the money goes directly to the drivers and not up the food chain!  Nor have the drivers come up with schemes to deliver bad service so that you HAVE to pay a bit extra just to get them to do their job.

I'm not adverse to giving tips to service people -- quite the opposite in fact.  There's a difference between a tip and a bribe.

On 5/31/2018 at 12:59 AM, Bill97 said:

How much for the Vegemite?  Got to get a taste for it when I volunteered in Vietnam.(aussie owners)

• 3 months later...
On 5/31/2018 at 1:09 AM, NancyL said:

Yeah, Hubby told me his activity yesterday was riding around checking out the new R2 route.  Thanks for the confirmation.  I'd suspected he was just over at No. 1 bar, judging by the GPS tracker on his phone.

I ride bike daily in city and have seen the bus maps and times listed at stop....this being by suan dok gate area

Caught the bus on the R2 route from outside M Hotel heading towards the zoo. 20 baht. Was kicked off the bus at the end and had to catch another R2. Travelled via Chang Phuak to Wararot Market where I wanted to get off (the route continues) 20 baht. I presume there's no round trip, its end to end.

Buses are clean and comfortable. Air-conditioning effective. Drivers helpful. Just tell them where you want to get off and they will stop at the nearest halt. They accept a 20 baht note or you can feed coins into the machine.

All in all a pleasant experience, hope it survives.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of dated pessimism here as most posts are pretty old, but the new ones are accurate.

I've ridden the bus a few times now, once to the airport. Freindly helpful drivers, safe driving, frigid a.c., 20 baht in cash no problem, and they have stopped for me in the middle of the road with the Thai wave without a bus stop in sight. Times posted on bus stops have been fairly accurate too.

The drivers want to know where you are going, I'm sure they have dealt with a lot of clueless falangs, and they appreciate when I come right up to them with my phone GPS showing them where I wanna go. They further really appreciate if you stop/get on the right bus- it's easy to figure out which one at any bus stop map so you aren't wasting their time.

It may not be the quickest way, but it sure has been reliable, safe, non-fumey, and a great way to cool down.

20 baht with ac to the airport can't be beat either.

I highly recommend.

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2018 at 8:28 AM, scottiejohn said:

Very many thanks for posting these links Scottie. Very helpful although the timetable takes some interpreting, for example I assume R2 start times are from Promenada so needs some guesstimating to assess the likely return time from Nong Hoi market to avoid long waits-or have I missed something?

Archived