Came for Songkran.... nothings happening!

brobro2424

Expected there to be water fights all over the place this morning but nothing so far. A local has told us that here in Hua Hin they just celebrate for 1 day on the 13th. Is this true? Everywhere else Ive been in Thailand things have been well under way by now

I think you can expect fighting to begin in the late afternoon of the 12th as it gets hotter. I have observed a lot of people doing their shopping this AM in preparation for being house-bound. Some have gone to the wat. I think it is  safe to say  that on the 13th things will commence early and continue thru the weekend.

• Like 1

most places beyond cm,  bangkok, pattaya (which has its own rules for songkran) limit celebration to the morning of a single day.

this may differ in pockets, especially where many tourists or prostitutes congregate, but once out of these areas expect a single day of celebration beyond children playing with each other.

I've lived in Hua Hin for about 6 years and you have been told correctly.

The water crazyness is for one day and that day is tomorrow, Friday 13th, April.

If you want any more songkran water play after that you will need to go to other larger cities where it drags on for days or almost a week in some places from what I've heard.

This is a little known thing abot Hua Hin - it's a place to go where you almost can get away from Songkran due to it only lasting 1 day.

I've never been to this but I am old by others who go there every year (including tomorrow) that the place to be is Hua Hin Soi 76 which is on the other side of the main Phetkasem road where the police station is.

You won't be able to miss it if you go tomorrow. Have fun !

Edited by ukrules

On 4/12/2018 at 10:29 PM, brobro2424 said:

Thanks for the tip I'll pay a visit to 76.  I see on the map we parked there last night before taking a wander . 1 day sounds more sensible compared to the drinkathons of the past. 

In Pattaya  it's eight to ten days. I leave Thailand during Songkran.

I traveled carefully from Soi 13 Jomtien Beach Road to the local 24 Food Mart, about 3 kilometers each way, at 11:30 a.m. today (16 April). There were only two spots that were wetting people - two Chinese men at one, two unsupervised young children at another - and I easily avoided them. VERY surprised/pleased at the lack of obnoxious  revelers.

By this post you can guess what kind of Songkran appreciator I am.

:stoner:

• Like 2

I've been most impressed at how polite everyone has been, and have obviously been having some nice, noisy fun.

On the steps to my condo, one young man gently led me over to two drums full of water (I am getting old!) and poured two buckets of water, front and back over me.

Most polite, cooling me down in this 36C degree heat.  The young folk have been having a noisy time with the rock music in front of Kad Suan Kaew, and good to see!

Far better than watching the inebriated further down the moat.

IMG_20180414_135453.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/04/2018 at 5:13 PM, ukrules said:

I've lived in Hua Hin for about 6 years and you have been told correctly.

The water crazyness is for one day and that day is tomorrow, Friday 13th, April.

If you want any more songkran water play after that you will need to go to other larger cities where it drags on for days or almost a week in some places from what I've heard.

This is a little known thing abot Hua Hin - it's a place to go where you almost can get away from Songkran due to it only lasting 1 day.

I've never been to this but I am old by others who go there every year (including tomorrow) that the place to be is Hua Hin Soi 76 which is on the other side of the main Phetkasem road where the police station is.

You won't be able to miss it if you go tomorrow. Have fun !

actually the big night was Thursday 12th according to Thai friends. Was told it was rammed.  Also on Friday (when I went) but they closed it early around 8 pm in bintabaht bar area. 

2 hours ago, ICECOOL said:

actually the big night was Thursday 12th according to Thai friends. Was told it was rammed.  Also on Friday (when I went) but they closed it early around 8 pm in bintabaht bar area. 

Yeah, you're right it starts the night before and goes on for about 24 hours.

On 4/12/2018 at 2:35 PM, HooHaa said:

most places beyond cm,  bangkok, pattaya (which has its own rules for songkran) limit celebration to the morning of a single day.

this may differ in pockets, especially where many tourists or prostitutes congregate, but once out of these areas expect a single day of celebration beyond children playing with each other.

Absolute rubbish post. You have to know where the go. BIB/Army crack down on one area one year and it moves somewhere else the next.

The morning of a single day.:cheesy: 4 days so far 1 more to go.:burp:

p.s. I never see tourists where I am and rarely see any farang. 

Edited by dinsdale
  • Thanks 1

Count your blessings. I live in Chiang Mai. What a pain in the ass is Songkran - childish idiots with a water gun in one hand and a can of beer in the other. They've completely lost the plot about how it's supposed to be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Absolute rubbish post. You have to know where the go. BIB/Army crack down on one area one year and it moves somewhere else the next.

The morning of a single day.:cheesy: 4 days so far 1 more to go.:burp:

p.s. I never see tourists where I am and rarely see any farang. 

When this poster talks of prostitutes and tourists you know he's a nutter with problems.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2018 at 2:35 PM, HooHaa said:

That is completely wrong:All over Isan and many parts of northern and central Thailand the tedious madness goes on for up to a week and longer.

Only southern Thailand and parts of Eastern Thailand(like Chantaburi)have the good sense of limiting it to a single day:Thanks the Lord Buddha for that.

There are actually farang adults that can derive pleasure from this sadistic spectacle for more than a couple of hours.Incomprehensible!