Thaksin hopes for new govt by next Songkran

snoop1130

Just now, Henrik Andersen said:

Just now, khunken said:

Actually there are members who inform us that his trial, & the ones awaiting him, were all just a political setup. Others claim that 'the Thais' still love him and will vote his party into power again.

I make no claim other that, yes, I'd like to see a semblance of democracy here, excluding the military and any party owned by one clan.

Some Thais do still love him. They think he cares about them. And I suppose they feel disenfranchised by the conservative establishment

Just now, Baerboxer said:

Indeed they are. But you sometimes seems to portray the Shins as not being of the elite. When in fact they are and part of the problem, just another face.

I'm not gonna argue with that. But I think the Shins - among others  - are a product of the original disease. A symptom rather than a cause.

Not sure you understand what constitutes reason in this context. First you agree then try to dismiss it with obfuscation.Hardly a reasoned response.

But if you read the political threads here you will note some posters claim Thaksin and his siblings are innocent, that everything against them is politically motivated and pretend they've never done anything wrong.

Whereas they are the Junta without the military.

I don't think Thaksin is innocent at all. As for his sister, I think she was just incompetent and taking orders from her brother.

31 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

This is nowhere near a police state. If you ever experienced life in a police state you'd know that. Like Singapore was for instance. 

Here the masses have never had a voice. Just rich elite families wanting to run things for their benefit. And that included the Shins who didn't want to share with the others and so set up the confrontation.

It is a police state.   Just because the police farce is lazy and inept does not make in any less so.  Examples:  harassing kids who protest peacefully, now allowing political parties to even gather much less criticize his verbally defenseless PMness.    Your trying to compare the poor local flat foots to the well paid killing machines in Singapore ?   How do the two even appear in the same paragraph?

The masses voted.  That was at least a move towards progress.  Why weren't they allowed to vote after the impeachment of Yingluck ?   You, along with the elites in Thailand, want punish the humble Thai by not allowing him to speak freely or participate in elections? Why?

Every time somebody criticize the junta, people like you have to criticize the Shins in this viscous cycle of hate.  They were removed.  Time to move on. 

Yes, it seems easier to suppress freedom of speech when you have all the guns. How unfair on poor Thaksin, he only had the defamation laws, which he used feverishly, plus the odd disappearance, etc to try and prevent critics.

At a time when the democracy in the West seems under more threat than ever; with increasing attempts at state control, at more and more corrupt politicians being exposed and then getting away with it a la Madame Lagarde; with electorate will being ignored by politicians who flip once their in office; then the future doesn't look rosy for anyone who supports universal suffrage and democracy, whether direct, representative, and however constitutionalized.

100 years ago a terrible conflict was taking millions of lives. Many British people who were risking their lives didn't have the right to vote. Women didn't have the right. That Western democracy isn't as old as some would pretend and for years was restricted by wealth and privilege.

This is nowhere near a police state. If you ever experienced life in a police state you'd know that. Like Singapore was for instance. 

Here the masses have never had a voice. Just rich elite families wanting to run things for their benefit. And that included the Shins who didn't want to share with the others and so set up the confrontation.

I actually have lived in several police states in my time, Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Yemen (all before the Arab Spring) to name some, and I would say that although there are varying degrees of severity regarding police states, Thailand currently definitely qualifies as one. If you live in a country where you can be summoned against your will for "Attitude Adjustment" or be prosecuted for expressing an opinion, whether through speech, public assembly or pressing 'like' on social media, then you are living in a police state.

22 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Sorry you very wrong 

Meny Thai people don't like him they have learned how bad and corrupt this family are

He didn't need army to control people yes that's why so meny Thai is out of control now and are me first generation 

Army try to clean up after all this family corruption and it start working but slowly 

Meny tourists will ofcores not be happy because the bars prostitution will disappear in future 

The only one there will benefit of this family are the gangs criminals etc if power go back to them 

Well I hope that by songkran 2019 we have already seen several new highly capable honest and sincere parties emerging and showing new policies and attitudes to drive Thailand forward with better education on the rise and better opportunities etc., etc, enough to already make the shin family and their cronies and leeches totally irrelevant and being ignored. 

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Well I hope that by songkran 2019 we have already seen several new highly capable honest and sincere parties emerging and showing new policies and attitudes to drive Thailand forward with better education on the rise and better opportunities etc., etc,

I hope too 

I hope Thailand will get better life with honest and anticorupt pm 

Meaby in future there will be a better generation there can free Thailand 

Who knows 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Yes, if you were in Bangkok you would feel differently.  It is still a mess, but just a lot less fun.   Sort of like a dirty, unsafe Singapore with the same lack of fun.  Big shiny Shopping malls full of luxury brands are now part of Thai culture.

It is shameful that farangs who benefited from universal suffrage and freedoms of speech deny the Thai people of such things all because of a petty squabble.  Remember you advocated the theft of votes from the Thai people as you condone the unelected MP's, because you do not like corruption.  Thailand is stuck now with legal and monumental corruption.  Your trust people who are unaccountable to anyone who took power by force.  Gladly, I know no such people in Thailand, farang or otherwise.  YOur country must have an ethical legal system and sense of fairness.  Where are yours ?  People who want freedom of speech like those Chula students are NOT bad and do not deserve to be harassed.   Your whole embrace of the police state and your attitude is shameful.

Bad people complaining lol. Army good people haha. The funniest post l read all day sitting on my ass. A bit like the JUNTA. Sitting talking big and creating boards and rivers it goes on and on. Confusion and mayhem. 4 years the police still earning millions. Army and Police have no business in politics. There not educated in such areas. End of story. You are government servants period.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

I hope too 

I hope Thailand will get better life with honest and anticorupt pm 

Meaby in future there will be a better generation there can free Thailand 

Who knows 

But what needs to change is the way people decide who to vote for.

In the past millions voted for a highly corrupt man who offered the poor a bag of rice, 500Baht cash etc. And many parties are guilty of the same activities.

While millions of Thai people continue to do this there is little hope of real change.

The people need to change just as much a change in the type of people who are the politicians. 

The first point is education so that Thai people really understand how democracy works and how to protect democracy. 

Just now, scorecard said:

In the past millions voted for a highly corrupt man who offered the poor a bag of rice, 500Baht cash etc. And many parties are guilty of the same activities.

While millions of Thai people continue to do this there is little hope of real change.

The people need to change just as much a change in the type of people who are the politicians. 

The first point is education so that Thai people really understand how democracy works and how to protect democracy. 

I don't think any meaningful change can come until the Amart are removed. The Amart are effectively the sole impediment to bringing about real educational, social, economic and political reform. The Amart are protected by what is known as the military, which serves as a repressive tool to be deployed internally, it is not a tool to protect the country's sovereignty from external aggression, rather it is a mechanism to maintain the status quo. All of these reforms need to happen for the country to join the 12st century. One without he others will not work. The Shah in Iran attempted economic and social reform but refused to implement political reform, which effectively rendered economic reform ineffective because the elites refused to share power and as a result the wealth remained in the hands of the few. Unfortunately the Amart fail to understand that they could be a part of this reform, as in rather than have revolution there could be evolution. The could play a key role in moving the country forward but seem to have no interest in prosperity for all, only themselves. It is, in short, incredible backwardness. The Future Forward party head seems to be thinking along these lines in terms of the wealthy few playing a leading role in reform but he appears to be a lone voice. Instead, Thailand currently has a person who is fully committed to maintaining the backwardness of the country, and even aspires to drag it even further backward. He is uniquely unqualified to be a head of state of any modern democracy.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

The only ones who "yearn" for the Shin kleptocracies under Thaksin or his various puppets are the Clan, its cronies and lackeys and all those who were lining their pockets at the expense of the people.

Thais I know despise Thaksin for the crook he is. They want an elected government, hate the corruption and entitlement of the elite but don't want this crook back thieving again.

You misunderstood. Thaksin was a crook (as they all are) and they don't yearn for HIM they yearn for the good times that he mostly brought. I don't think anyone wants him back, as a person, they want the times surrounding him. Many good things were achieved but he got greedy so let's forget about him personally.

What I am trying to say is that Thais I know (of all classes) feel times were better then than now. That is not a yearn for him but for the times. All loathe the current government. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Please refrain from raising the old 500 baht lie?  at least argue with fact and truth please?  if you had said 'popularist policies' I could agree that those do hold great sway with Thais and that education is crucial but that is not about one man. Can't you let that old nonsense go?

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

Please refrain from raising the old 500 baht lie?  at least argue with fact and truth please?  if you had said 'popularist policies' I could agree that those do hold great sway with Thais and that education is crucial but that is not about one man. Can't you let that old nonsense go?

Even if the vote buying was as pervasive as alleged, somebody should have gone to jail.  Given that the military has legalized vote buying for itself by appointing MP's, the point is now well beyond mute.   As bad as the shins were, the current regime is far far worse. 

Edited by yellowboat
  • Thanks 2

I have little interest in Thai politics if it doesn't directly affect me. Out here in the Isaan villages this man is loved for his 30 baht medical care and OTOP.  I tell my TW that his fingers were deep in the till, his cronies did very well. She bitchslaps me every time I say this.

He was bright enough to know that democracy is about numbers.  Popularism is on the march everywhere.

Hopefully the days when Isaan boys gun down their brothers and neighbours on BKK streets will end soon with sufficient international disgust.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The manic said:

It's Thailand thats suffering. T was elected. Over 25 million people voted for him. They are suffering.

and don't forget he was the only one who started to make inroads on drug supliers and dealers.