The UV(?) light bug zapper with fan

st11x

Hi,

I was at HomePro and saw a good number of "new" UV light bug zappers. They all come with fans and I googled a little and some seemed to suggest they also emit carbon dioxide to attract the mosquitoes.

Do they work well vs the traditional bug zappers? They go for around 500 THB to over 1K THB.

Thanks

Matt

• Like 1

Hmm can you maybe tell me a bit more I am interested because the old ones did not emit carbon dioxide. It would be nice to have one that does as it makes a big difference attracting the mosquitoes.

Bevup what do you mean with good for 2 x 2 room.. a 2 meter by 2 meter or what  ? I got the old version black hole and it never overheats but does not emit carbon dioxide. 

6 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

I have one 

Good for 2 x 2 room 

I have also read on here that they may become acceptable to fire ( maybe fan over heating )

I wouldn't waste my time 

I was thinking of getting it to replace those plug in ones that run off the liquid insecticides. Doesn't seem to be very effective anymore.

Matt

1 minute ago, st11x said:

I was thinking of getting it to replace those plug in ones that run off the liquid insecticides. Doesn't seem to be very effective anymore.

Matt

There is another gadget that you put a piece of ???? onto a metal plate & it smolders of a non smelling smoke

I have one of them as well ( maybe as good as what you have now )

Also remembering about those UV lights that if your place isn't totally sealed they will draw every bug within the area

34 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

There is another gadget that you put a piece of ???? onto a metal plate & it smolders of a non smelling smoke

I have one of them as well ( maybe as good as what you have now )

Also remembering about those UV lights that if your place isn't totally sealed they will draw every bug within the area

Good point about drawing every bug, we hear lizards and see their waste. I guess it'll draw them too.

The metal plate one, you are referring to the mosquito coils? 

Matt

8 minutes ago, st11x said:

Good point about drawing every bug, we hear lizards and see their waste. I guess it'll draw them too.

The metal plate one, you are referring to the mosquito coils? 

Matt

No 

It's a red machine (a bit bigger then a mosi coil )

You put a 2cm x 1cm piece of ?? onto a metal plate & it just smolders away

Brand name is ARS electric mosi repeler 

1 minute ago, BEVUP said:

No 

It's a red machine (a bit bigger then a mosi coil )

You put a 2cm x 1cm piece of ?? onto a metal plate & it just smolders away

Brand name is ARS electric mosi repeler 

Got it. I remember seeing one of those now.

I was thinking of the UV ones because they require no refills, and the idea of the light + carbon dioxide + fan seems to suggest they will work better than most.

thanks

Matt

5 minutes ago, st11x said:

I was thinking of the UV ones because they require no refills, and the idea of the light + carbon dioxide + fan seems to suggest they will work better than most.

thanks

Matt

I wouldn't get the one with the fan they are just to small 

We live in a small 2 story Moo Baan house

We close the doors at the lead up to the stairs (aircon running ) & if we were to put the Light/Fan zapper on we might only here a coupe of zaps 

I should of went for a bigger one ( but as we know it's a trial & error process ) as to not lay out a fortune

5 hours ago, st11x said:

Mosquitos are not attracted to UV-light. Butterflies and wasps are. 

One could do a co2 emitter by putting some sugar, yeast and a bit of water to a bottle. Then use a small hose to direct the co2 inside of the bug zapper. 

The fan and UV light machine I had was perfectly useless. Looked inside every month and v few dead insects of any variety

I have a UV light and electric coil that zaps them. A bit more effective as you do see defunct mossies on the electric coil

I can no longer find the blue mats for the electric mats

I do have electric ARS and liquid devices. Difficult to say how effective they are. I still got bitten

About a month ago I installed fly screen doors and sealed all the smaller windows with fly scree gauze. Almost 100% effective and I hardly ever get bitten now but obviously a bit extreme and more expensive

The fogging man comes once a month fogging outside but really I don't know that makes any difference

Wouldn't use smoke coils inside. I suspect they are toxic

• Like 1

8 hours ago, st11x said:

Matt

The fan is too keep the electronics cool, I disconnected one because of the noise of the fan and it started to overheat. The noise of the fan is enough too scare the mossies away, it killed other insects but not mossies.

i bought 2, waste of space, stick with plug ins, both of mine back in the boxes in the cupboard.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, st11x said:

thanks

Matt

Be careful with the small ones that you put the little metal plate in. They do work but you'll wake up with a splitting headache if you have it on while you're sleeping. You'll be breathing in the stuff they emit and they dehydrate you big time aswell. I won't use them anymore for that reason.

Small unit black hole master trap seems to work well for me.

I have two

one in condo 8m x 4m lounge area.

One in house in province put in main lobby or in single room 5m x4m.

Seems to get most small flying insects after a couple of nights.

Never had any geckos.

9 hours ago, robblok said:

Hmm can you maybe tell me a bit more I am interested because the old ones did not emit carbon dioxide. It would be nice to have one that does as it makes a big difference attracting the mosquitoes.

Bevup what do you mean with good for 2 x 2 room.. a 2 meter by 2 meter or what  ? I got the old version black hole and it never overheats but does not emit carbon dioxide. 

I too had a Black Hole mossie machine with a fan- the expensive model. It did work when new, but after a couple of years it seemed to stop attracting them.

If there is a version that emits CO2 it should work, but they need a separate tank of gas, far as I know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scotssing said:

The fan and UV light machine I had was perfectly useless. Looked inside every month and v few dead insects of any variety

I have a UV light and electric coil that zaps them. A bit more effective as you do see defunct mossies on the electric coil

I can no longer find the blue mats for the electric mats

I do have electric ARS and liquid devices. Difficult to say how effective they are. I still got bitten

About a month ago I installed fly screen doors and sealed all the smaller windows with fly scree gauze. Almost 100% effective and I hardly ever get bitten now but obviously a bit extreme and more expensive

The fogging man comes once a month fogging outside but really I don't know that makes any difference

Wouldn't use smoke coils inside. I suspect they are toxic

Fogging once a month is a waste of time. Needs to be done all the time. Where I lived, they came around once in 6 months.

The most effective mossie zapper I ever had came with 2 legs, 2 arms and one of those "tennis bat" mossie killers.

• Haha 2

A couple of years ago I purchased a cheap “frog” zapper. Didn’t get any mosquitoes. I gave it to the building employees. I saw a neighbor buy screen doors but did not help much as the mosquitoes here are smaller than the screen pattern. 

The fogger hits this place every month or so. I found the best idea was to move to the top floor (8), keep the balcony doors closed, and use “Off” repellent. 

Well the one I bought is simply a 'black-light', to attract them, a fan to pull them in and a HV grid to zap them and it works pretty well. It gets a bit messy and needs cleaning out often, particularly if something bigger than the mozzies I want zapped gets in there. It is only 9x6 inches and could do with being a bit bigger. Hearing the odd 'ZAP' now and again is somewhat entertaining.

16 hours ago, oilinki said:

One could do a co2 emitter by putting some sugar, yeast and a bit of water to a bottle. Then use a small hose to direct the co2 inside of the bug zapper. 

The yeast produces little C02, would the fan waft it away?

Great! LOVE mine. :heart_001:  Got a cheap one on Lazada w/fan and claims to emit small C02 and was skeptical, but works very well. Personally will never be without again. I am a Mozzie magnet and this device almost always puts an end to the elusive little vampires and lets me get a good night's sleep.

Also got an actual hanging "zapper"(looks like a cage, no fan) and it sucks. Had it for a couple months and it has yet to zap one mozzie even hanging outside all night! ?

Edited by Skeptic7

18 hours ago, oilinki said:

There is scientific evidence that most flying insects including mosquitos are attracted to artificial light and more so to UV light sources. That is why most electric bug attractors use blue UV light. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

There is scientific evidence that most flying insects including mosquitos are attracted to artificial light and more so to UV light sources. That is why most electric bug attractors use blue UV light. 

Night butterflies etc. can see UV light emitted by the flowers. This is part of the symbiosis, where these insects get the nectar to drink and pollinate the flower in return.

Mosquitos don't drink nectar, but blood from the animals. Mosquitos don't benefit of ability to find flowers.

2 hours ago, laislica said:

The yeast produces little C02, would the fan waft it away?

Yes, that's true. That would probably work better without a fan.

I once tried to make mosquito trap using a bottle, filled with yeast, sugar and water. I places a funnel on top of it, so that the mosquitos could go inside the bottle, but not escape. 

Well, that ended being quite a mess. I put way too much sugar and yeast and the whole thing just bubbled over :)

1 hour ago, oilinki said:

Night butterflies etc. can see UV light emitted by the flowers. This is part of the symbiosis, where these insects get the nectar to drink and pollinate the flower in return.

Mosquitos don't drink nectar, but blood from the animals. Mosquitos don't benefit of ability to find flowers.

It makes no difference what a flying insect eats, most are attracted to artificial light sources at night, especially night-flying insects.  Night flying insects are attracted to the artificial light because the light interferes with their navigation system, not because they are looking for food.  If you what to reduce the number of flying insects both in and outside your home at night use yellow colored lightbulbs.  If you want to kill flying insects electronically 24/7 use a UV bulb, which is visible to flying insects both day and night. 

• Like 1

From:  https://www.thoughtco.com/do-bug-zappers-kill-mosquitoes-1968054

How Mosquitoes Find Blood

When evaluating mosquito control products, it's important to understand how mosquitoeslocate a source of blood. In other words, think about how the mosquito finds someone to bite. Regardless of whether they're human, canine, equine, or avian, all living blood sources emit carbon dioxide.

Research Proves Bug Zappers Are Ineffective for Killing Mosquitoes

Bug zappers attract insects using ultraviolet light. Mosquitoes find their blood meals by following the trail of carbon dioxide. Occasionally, a mosquito will get curious about the pretty light and make the fatal mistake of getting too close. But there's no guarantee that mosquito is even a female, and therefore a biting mosquito. In fact, many of the "mosquitoes" found in bug zappers are actually non-biting insects called midges.