Shingles Vaccine

dddave

I'm currently in the US for a month, returning to Thailand in early May.  I wanted to get a Shingles vaccination while here but was told it was a two part vaccine that had to be given in doses two months apart.  I was also told that I could not get dose one in the US and dose two in Thailand as the vaccine had to be from a matched batch.

I have read in the past that this vaccine is difficult to find in Thailand.  Has anybody found Shingles vaccine in Bangkok?

• Thanks 1

There are two shingles vaccines Zostervax and Shingrix.

Zostervax has an efficacy of about 60% whereas Shingrix, the two part vaccine, has an efficacy >90%.

The former is available in Thailand whereas the latter has only been readily available in USA over the past months and is highly unlikely to be here for some time.

Immunisation with Zostervax now does not preclude your future immunisation with Shingrix when it does becomes available.
Edited by sanuk21

I had shingles a few years ago. Whilst very unpleasant it was not the end of the world and mine went away after a few weeks. Apparently for some it can be much more tenacious.

But why not buy the expensive two-part vaccine in the US and bring the second part here to be administered here later at the correct time?

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I had shingles a few years ago. Whilst very unpleasant it was not the end of the world and mine went away after a few weeks. Apparently for some it can be much more tenacious.

But why not buy the expensive two-part vaccine in the US and bring the second part here to be administered here later at the correct time?

That's you. For others, pain can persist for months and cause loss of hearing, blindness, heart attack, stroke etc. If your immune system is in good shape, you might be able to  suppress the virus, but as it weakens or is under stress, the virus can take hold. People who take immuno suppresants or who are ill, such as dengue sufferers, cancer patients etc. are at risk.   These factors must be weighed. Several members of my family have had it. Some recovered fast. Others were laid up for months. I am below the recommended dosing age but will innoculate as soon as I am in the recommended  age category.

9 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Lucky you, the shingles pain has been described by many as being the closet a man can get to the pain a woman experiences during childbirth 

Since live vaccines have to be refrigerated I don't think bringing the second part here would be a viable option

I had shingles that came out at my left knee and the pain lasted for over three years so I was one of the first in line when the offered the first vaccination option.  And I will arrange to get the new series this summer while in the US   

Lucky you, the shingles pain has been described by many as being the closet a man can get to the pain a woman experiences during childbirth

It was painful but not the end of the world. Nowhere near as painful as toothache, for example. Maybe people feel it differently: I dont know and I have no way of telling.

Since live vaccines have to be refrigerated I don't think bringing the second part here would be a viable option

Why not? Refrigerated items are moved around the world all the time. I bring chilled fresh foods back with me in my luggage from the UK every year.

9 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Shingrix, the two part vaccine, isn't a live vaccine.

• Thanks 1

On 4/14/2018 at 10:21 AM, sanuk21 said:
 There are two shingles vaccines Zostervax and Shingrix.

Zostervax has an efficacy of about 60% whereas Shingrix, the two part vaccine, has an efficacy >90%.

The former is available in Thailand whereas the latter has only been readily available in USA over the past months and is highly unlikely to be here for some time.

Immunisation with Zostervax now does not preclude your future immunisation with Shingrix when it does becomes available.

Thanks for your informative reply; really useful.

The VA Hospital where I had a check-up said they would supply the Shingrix but only if I was there long enough for both injections.  No way they would consider allowing me to take my second dose along with me back to Thailand.

• 1 month later...

Excellent thread.  My plan WAS to go to the US, get Shingrix dose one in LA and dose two in AZ.  Based on the OP, it looks like that cannot be done due to the requirement that both doses be from a matched batch.

Further, my guess is Shingrix will be available in Singapore before Thailand.  That was the case with Zostavax.  Short flight makes it doable from Thailand.

Just to note that in 2016 I received the Zostavax shingles vaccine at Bangkok Hospital -- Khon Kaen. They had to order it special for me but other than a wait no big deal. I had chicken pox as a kid so definitely a good thing to do.

On 4/15/2018 at 12:26 AM, LomSak27 said:

What hospitals in Thailand have this? All in Bangkok or Chiang Mai? -----------  6000 Baht?

As family member-S have had shingles in the past, it is on my short list.

Three years ago Zostavax was 6,500 baht at Vejthani Hospital in Bangkok.