President Trump's re-election campaign raised $10 million so far in 2018

webfact

President Trump's re-election campaign raised $10 million so far in 2018

By Ginger Gibson

2018-04-15T192841Z_1_LYNXMPEE3E0RD_RTROPTP_4_MIDEAST-CRISIS-SYRIA.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump announces military strikes on Syria while delivering a statement from the White House in Washington, U.S., April 13, 2018. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump's re-election campaign raised $10 million in the first quarter of the year, leaving his re-election operation with $28 million in cash, his campaign disclosed on Sunday.

Trump spent $3.9 million in the first quarter.

Trump has opted - unlike presidents before him - to begin actively fundraising in the early part of his first term. He could use some of the money which he has already raised to help Republicans in the upcoming midterm election in November.

In addition to raising money for his own campaign, Trump has also collected funds for joint efforts with the Republican National Committee, which uses that money to help congressional candidates.

His re-election campaign finished 2017 with $22 million in cash.

During the first quarter of the year, Trump spent about $834,000 on legal expenses - down from the $1.1 million he spent in each of the previous two quarters, according to disclosures filed with Federal Election Commission.

Trump's campaign has used millions of his campaign cash in the past year to pay legal fees - including some fees associated with responding to the Russia investigation being conducted by Special Counsel Robert Mueller. His campaign spent over $3 million in 2017 in legal fees.

In addition to legal fees, he has also used that money to keep a small campaign staff, to fund campaign rallies and to pay for digital advertising focused on his supporters.

Trump filed for re-election the day he took office, an unusual move for an incumbent president. Traditionally, incumbent presidents have waited until after their second year in office to begin their re-election campaign. Trump will stand for re-election in November 2020.

(Reporting by Ginger Gibson; Editing by Lisa Shumaker)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-04-16

It will be interesting to see how this dovetails with the GOP being in a much stronger cash position than the DNC. 

Democrats have celebrated some seat gains, as they should. But they had to outspend the Republican adversary by 5 to 1 to pull off a win in PA 18.

Any win is good, especially to create momentum. But a 5 to 1 cash advantage doesn't indicate it's time to pop the champagne corks at DNC HQ.

2 hours ago, Emster23 said:

What will happen with the money if Trump doesn't run in 2020, for any number of reasons (cheeseburgers OD, unlikely impeachment, Trump gets tire of it all, etc)?

Too easy - no personal use.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/markets/042716/what-happens-campaign-funds-after-elections.asp

http://mentalfloss.com/article/29636/what-happens-leftover-campaign-funds-when-candidate-drops-out

https://www.factcheck.org/2008/02/leftover-campaign-funds/

Except in Trump's case Putin might insist Trump repay his "Russian laundered loans."

3 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Nice attempt at spin. It's true that in terms of strict campaign spending,  Democrats outspent Republicans 5 to 1.  But when you factor in outside PAC contributions, 10.7 million for the Republican vs. 2.6 million.for the Democrat, far more money was given to the Republican candidate than to the Democrat. About twice as much, in fact. But of course, if your source is Fox News, you wouldn't know that.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03/22/pennsylvania-special-house-election-pits-conor-lamb-against-rick-saccone.html

I read a variety of news sources.  But thanks for reminding me that Lamb ran against gun control and is essentially pro-life. I believe abortion should be legal. I also thinkstates should put restrictions in line with their constituents and in line with the Roe v Wade decision. 

As to your spending figures, you at least got me to look deeper. That's almost always a good thing. However, upon doing so, I found your spending info to be outdated and incorrect.

https://www.nbcnews.com/card/updated-ad-spending-pa-18-11-7-million-n855256

1 hour ago, BuriramSam said:

I read a variety of news sources.  But thanks for reminding me that Lamb ran against gun control and is essentially pro-life. I believe abortion should be legal. I also thinkstates should put restrictions in line with their constituents and in line with the Roe v Wade decision. 

As to your spending figures, you at least got me to look deeper. That's almost always a good thing. However, upon doing so, I found your spending info to be outdated and incorrect.

https://www.nbcnews.com/card/updated-ad-spending-pa-18-11-7-million-n855256

You read a variety of news sources but somehow managed to miss the fact the Republcans outspent Democrats? It's not like that wasn't frequently reported. Except in sources from Fox news rightward.

First off your original claim was Democrats outspent Republicans by 5-1.

I added up the numbers from the very page you linked to and that shows that Republicans spent $7629000 vs. Democrats spending $4386000. You might want to read the pages you link to before citing them.

And that's only for TV spending. 

There's a lot of campaign money spent that doesn't go to TV.

And as you may recall, you originally asserted that the situation doesn't look as good for the Democrats as it might seem because they outspent the Republicans 5 to 1. So now that it's been shown that the Republicans heavily outspent the Democrats, in your nonpartisan estimation, doesn't that mean the outcome of this race portends even worse things for the Republicans. You do claim to be nonpartisan, correct?.

And by the way, Lamb said he was personally opposed to abortion but supported a woman's right to choose.

He also supports Obamacare and was against the Republican tax cuts. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

That's a big assumption.  It assumes Trump;

A. ....won't be impeached

B. ....won't be indicted

C. ....won't be found guilty of one or more crimes

D. ....doesn't resign

E. ....won't be beaten by a Republican contender in the primaries

F. ....won't be abandoned by Republican donors.

G. ....won't die, or be certifiably declared mentally unfit for public office.

and finally

H........  won't happen.

But will be interesting to see if Trumper has a new super model wife by 2020.

The current Slovak sheila  has got her eyes on  divorce settlement millions.

They always do.

No bother for Trumper.

Just host another super model party in Trump tower and peel one off the herd.

17 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

NRA is very generous to its faithful servants

As is Trump in his support of the legal community:

Legal fees made up more than 20% of Trump's campaign spending so far this year

More than one-fifth of the $3.9 million that President Donald Trump's 2020 re-election campaign has spent this year has gone to legal fees, the campaign's latest quarterly Federal Election Commission filing shows.

About $835,000 in payments for "legal consulting" were made to eight firms and the Trump Corporation, with the most -- $347,000 -- going to Jones Day. Another $185,000 went to the firm Larocca Hornik Rosen Greenberg & Blaha. About $24,000 went to the Trump Corporation.

source:  https://edition.cnn.com/2018/04/15/politics/trump-campaign-legal-fees/index.html