Does it seem increasingly a slow motion war between foreigners and Thais?

Absolutely not. I find most Thai people to be delightful. I am back in the states now, and I am seeing some real friction, from a nation of joyless souls, who are really unfulfilled, for the most part. Not the Thais. Most are lovely, lighthearted, fun, playful, helpful, respectful, and enjoyable to be around. Now, if you are in the jaundiced areas, like Pattaya, Phuket or Samui, forget about it. Nearly anywhere else, including Bangkok, I love interacting with the Thai people.

OP, what were the reasons for this thread?

I mean was it personal experiences or just what you have read?

I work everyday with Thais, have lived here 20+ years and the only really scary encounters I've had is with the missus. Mind you, that fades most unpleasant experiences into insignificance............:sad:

:tongue:

There is no war between Thais and foreigners.  What the OP has is a personal problem.  If he treats the locals like crap, he shouldn't act surprised when they treat him the same.  The OP should have the courage to admit that the Thais just don't like HIM.     

1 minute ago, sammieuk1 said:

Friction!! KY jelly so I'm told will solve your problem.

He is referring to friction with people , but not in a sexual way .

KY jelly may be good for sexual lubrication , but it wont be much help if you have a disagreement with a taxi driver about whether to switch the meter on or not

There is of course a certain amount of Thai bashing that written by some TV members or discussed by expats whilst in their local bars or coffee shops. As for Farang bashing by Thais?  To be honest I would think most Thais have got way more important things to worry about  like how many chilies they require in their Som Tam. 

From a personal point of view I have never had any issues with Thai people, they have all treated me with the upmost respect. Perhaps if I frequented the larger touristy areas where some Farangs seem to get ripped off or beaten up then I might have a different opinion.....but I doubt it  

The economic relationship between foreigner visitors and Thais has gone through a rapid period of maturation. Both sides have had to temper expectations. Just consider how the internet has impacted the savviness of bar goers and dating website users. Or how the growth of big box and chain retailers have impacted mom-and-pop retailers' perceptions of foreigners. Or how because more foreigners are retiring here on fixed incomes or how currency devaluations have negatively affected some expat's spending power, and more gripes are heard about the rising cost of living, Thais no longer see foreigners as necessarily super wealthy as much as they once did.

From the standpoint of foreigners, the golden age of extremely low cost living has probably passed. And from the Thai standpoint, the golden age of big spending and easily beguiled foreigners has also probably ended, or at least begun to taper off. Expectations are going through a normal adjustment process, and frictions do sometimes arise. A healthy maturation process, something to be aware of, but no cause for alarm.

I guess some frictions are self fulfilling prophecies.

If you approach people with the attitude that there will be friction/trouble then there is a good chance that this is what will happen.

But it's possible to live in harmony even with not so nice people - if we want.

A personal example are some taxi-no-meter drivers who hang around in front of my usual coffee-shop (Bangkok, Sukhumvit). Basically I don't like what they do but I don't interfere. If they find someone who pays three times too much I won't go there and tell the tourists they pay too much. I would never drive with these guys and they accept that and fine. I park my bike often where their taxis are and in a way I block the taxis. But I don't lock my steering lock. If they want to drive away they move my bike and later move it back. All friendly, no problem.

I am sure the situation could have a lot of friction if I would treat these guy with a different attitude. Live and let live works just fine.

20 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Brilliant post!

No substance but pure emotion for TVF  members.

Any examples of what you find  this  war to contain?   

You must be a media  member.

3 posts, wants his moment in the sun.

One of the downsides to social media and the 24 hour news cycle. People believe things are more severe than they really are. The old days were better, you could only fit so much bad, depressing news into a daily newspaper, after reading the newspaper and watching a half hour of news you just got on with your life and didn’t worry about EVERYTHING all of the time.

16 minutes ago, elephant45 said:

Thais are going through tough times, debt, low wages, overcrowding. They have many problems to deal with, and agreed as above we used to be able to throw a lot more money around. When I came initially it 45b to the dollar.

Fewer and fewer tai-pans turning up.Lord Jim's are in short supply.Thai women are getting fat and they have run out of gin at the club....the world's going to hell in a hand basket...:smile:

Hate to agree, but I do... just went back to the USA with soft plans of buying a cheap house and stayed one day. Felt like I was paying to get into prison. 400 people in line with 2 staff at immigration. They forced me to check in and out of Immigration to get the next domestic flight. No water, couldn't piss. People were freaking out. Bought a ticket back ASAP.  Free WIFI was 17.95 plus tax at hotel, crappy sandwich 15usd. Now in Da Nang, a bit harsher than Thailand, people wise but clean air great food. Medical care is lacking. 

4 minutes ago, poanoi said:

there is the ever present tip-bitching, but i havnt seen any fluctuation in that for the past

16 odd years or so, if anything, it seem less these days, but that might be cause i

avoid exposing myself

Definitely an increase.

Blind Freddy can see it.

1 hour ago, transam said:

OP, just tell me where you are located so l can stay well clear...

5170.gif

Pattaya area for about last 12 years. I made OP non specific in order for general scope of replies. Will add that foreigner/foreigner interactions around here are not so good also. 

On 4/19/2018 at 10:41 AM, spidermike007 said:

Absolutely not. I find most Thai people to be delightful. I am back in the states now, and I am seeing some real friction, from a nation of joyless souls, who are really unfulfilled, for the most part. Not the Thais. Most are lovely, lighthearted, fun, playful, helpful, respectful, and enjoyable to be around. Now, if you are in the jaundiced areas, like Pattaya, Phuket or Samui, forget about it. Nearly anywhere else, including Bangkok, I love interacting with the Thai people.

I was at a food court yesterday, and I inadvertently sat at a table someone else had taken, as they were waiting for their food. I just did not see their beverages already on the table. When the Thai man returned he looked at me, and I apologized for the mistake. He had a big smile, and said no problem. He took the table next to me. Such grace and lightness of being. In the states, more than likely it might have been a real issue, and real offense taken. 

Well i have no problem with my servants at my vast mansion,i tend to prefer my head Butler,who is Scottish deal with them,of course there was one young chap who i felt had not bowed low enough to me,which unfortunately i had to dismiss.

Is this the sort of thing you were getting at op?

Sorry I just don't see it. This apparent 'increased' friction that the OP observes. I must be living in a parallel universe. I don't know how long the OP has been here but I suspect it is more a function of your stage of the 'acculturation' cycle than any real increase in friction. An appropriate amount of respect to our hosts and all should be well. Avoid confrontations with taxi drivers, touts and scammers. Just give them a wide berth. And just accept that sometimes, somewhere, someone is probably just having a bad day.It may well simply  be that you are in their orbit on that particular occasion.

9 minutes ago, Stradavarius37 said:

Only if you are a douchecanoe with too much time on your hands...

+1

Or maybe testing the water from a safe distance before venturing out without mom for the first time ever.

On 4/22/2018 at 3:58 PM, Farrows3399 said:

Pattaya area for about last 12 years. I made OP non specific in order for general scope of replies. Will add that foreigner/foreigner interactions around here are not so good also. 

i don't know if you have been visiting Pattaya for the last 12 years or actually living there.  Anyway, don't think you deserve all the flak you're getting from our esteemed members.  BUT, cmon.....Pattaya is certainly not representative of the other 99% of Thailand.  Most places the natives and the "visitors" get on very well. That is until too many foreigners move into an area.  That does cause some change (good and bad).

As many here will point out,  your attitude and how you act is what really determines how you will get along.    

12 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

+1

Or maybe testing the water from a safe distance before venturing out without mom for the first time ever.

please don't encourage him..... i think his violin is a bit out of tune

Archived