Buying a car, can I drive into Cambodia and Laos

Short answer is yes, certain documents required for different countries and you can only use some border crossings.

Thanks Peter for your answer. The link has some good information. Want to drive up to Luang Pranbang and a few other places.

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

If you've never used the road from Vientiane to Luang Prabang, be warned that it's one 'hell of a drive'.  Not so much in distance but steep roads and hair pin bends over the mountains.  No chance of any speed so allow plenty of time. 

13 minutes ago, HHTel said:

If you've never used the road from Vientiane to Luang Prabang, be warned that it's one 'hell of a drive'.  Not so much in distance but steep roads and hair pin bends over the mountains.  No chance of any speed so allow plenty of time. 

It took me about 7-8 hours 20 years ago. I hope the road has improved since then but equally there may be a few more vehicles on the road to slow you down. Back in those days there were a few hustlers on the roadside with antique firearms to whom our driver would speed past throwing a cigarette or two out of the window as he did so to keep them happy.

• Like 1

Once you get into Malaysia you can also enter Singapore using the same circulation permit for Malaysia issued by the JPJ (the local road transport authority).  Office about 1 km from Sadao border crossing on RH side.  Need copies of everything. Vehicle book needs to be on driver's name.  Need to buy third party insurance upon entry in Malaysia AND again in Singapore.  Need to make license plate stickers upon entry in Malaysia as well, white on black.  Insurance shop can arrange.

Note that Thai insurance is NOT valid outside of Thailand which is an important consideration if the car is still quite new/valuable with class 1 cover. Do not know if you can buy comprehensive insurance at the border.  Doubt it.  I only cross borders with my 20 year old Toyota Tiger so no problem if something happens.  Also provides some respect with the aggressive Malaysian drivers (who luckily mostly drive small s..t cars.).

• Like 1

One more thing:  Malaysia does not permit very dark tinted windows.  If you have those get the  film removed before travelling as trying to scrape it off outside of the JPJ office is a nightmare (been there, done that)   If   you really need  to have it use only light tints, less than 50%, and NOTHING on the windscreen.

26 minutes ago, gaff said:

Crossing to Cambodia is ok at Koh kong.

Cambodia entry is OK at Koh Kong and O'Smach. Ban Pakkard is a maybe (seen many Thai vehicles cross there, but they are likely told not to drive further than Pailin). Exiting is OK pretty much everywhere, though I wouldn't attempt exiting at Ban Laem as the Cambodians might block you (that border doesn't allow cars to cross in either direction).

Another border to try is the brand new international border crossing at Ban Khao Din/Phnom Dai (Sampov Lun). This border supposedly opened on March 30, but according to the Phnom Penh post will only open on May 18. I suggest heading there after May 18 to see if they will let cars through. So far, only Thai trucks have been allowed across there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bascat said:

One more thing:  Malaysia does not permit very dark tinted windows.  If you have those get the  film removed before travelling as trying to scrape it off outside of the JPJ office is a nightmare (been there, done that)   If   you really need  to have it use only light tints, less than 50%, and NOTHING on the windscreen.

Doesn't Malaysia require an RFID chip for Thai cars since last year? Strange that nobody seems to be talking about this. Unless this plan has been delayed or isn't enforced by the Malaysians at this time. However, they are enforcing it on Singaporean vehicles coming in through Singapore.

6 hours ago, bascat said:

Once you get into Malaysia you can also enter Singapore using the same circulation permit for Malaysia issued by the JPJ (the local road transport authority).  Office about 1 km from Sadao border crossing on RH side.  Need copies of everything. Vehicle book needs to be on driver's name.  Need to buy third party insurance upon entry in Malaysia AND again in Singapore.  Need to make license plate stickers upon entry in Malaysia as well, white on black.  Insurance shop can arrange.

Note that Thai insurance is NOT valid outside of Thailand which is an important consideration if the car is still quite new/valuable with class 1 cover. Do not know if you can buy comprehensive insurance at the border.  Doubt it.  I only cross borders with my 20 year old Toyota Tiger so no problem if something happens.  Also provides some respect with the aggressive Malaysian drivers (who luckily mostly drive small s..t cars.).

I was told that Singapore requires Thai cars to purchase Singaporean insurance before arriving at the port of entry. This according to one of the insurance agents at the Sadao border. This despite the fact that Malaysian insurance is supposed to cover vehicles entering Singapore and Brunei as well.

8 hours ago, HHTel said:

There are two routes from Vientiane to Luang Prabang. The old road, which is scenic and winding via Kasi and Phou Khoun and the "new road" via Kasi to Muang Nan where it joins route 4. Normally I would suggest heading along the latter, but last year during the rainy season a major landslide destroyed part of that road making it a hair raising and very dangerous ordeal now; even worse during or after rain. Vehicles heading that way may find themselves waiting hours for the road to open for only an hour or so, as road crews work to clear the landslide and fix the damaged road.

The older road takes about an hour longer but is much safer until such time the damaged sections of the Kasi to Muang Nan road have been fixed. I expect this won't happen until the end of this year or even later as the rainy season is coming up soon, likely leading to additional landslides. Alternative routes are via Paklay and route 4 or via Paksan up to Phonsavan. Both are much longer than going the normal way via Vang Vieng, Kasi and Phou Khoun.

12 hours ago, jimster said:

Cambodia entry is OK at Koh Kong and O'Smach. Ban Pakkard is a maybe (seen many Thai vehicles cross there, but they are likely told not to drive further than Pailin). Exiting is OK pretty much everywhere, though I wouldn't attempt exiting at Ban Laem as the Cambodians might block you (that border doesn't allow cars to cross in either direction).

Another border to try is the brand new international border crossing at Ban Khao Din/Phnom Dai (Sampov Lun). This border supposedly opened on March 30, but according to the Phnom Penh post will only open on May 18. I suggest heading there after May 18 to see if they will let cars through. So far, only Thai trucks have been allowed across there.

Wrong, not Ban Pakkard, only people working in hotels or close area business.

At least not for foreigners.

And do you have google map location of new border ? Thank you for the info.

Edited by gaff

7 hours ago, gaff said:

Wrong, not Ban Pakkard, only people working in hotels or close area business.

At least not for foreigners.

And do you have google map location of new border ? Thank you for the info.

OK that could be. In any case, I saw dozens of Thai cars in Prom (the Cambodian border town opposite Ban Pakkard) as well as in Pailin, which means they were allowed to enter there. Perhaps foreigners driving Thai cars aren't allowed to, but Thais are. In a sense it's a bit odd though, because there is no distinction between Thais and foreigners driving cars into Cambodia at O'Smach and Koh Kong.

As for the new border crossing at Ban Khao Din it's written บ้านเขาดิน in Thai. The GPS coordinates are

13°25'56.3"N 102°21'30.6"E

On 4/21/2018 at 3:24 PM, HHTel said:

Your warning is a good one.

Ultimately it depends on driving skills and the  patience which you address.

I could drive on any road but I may not make it to the end depending on the road and conditions.

21 minutes ago, jimster said:

OK that could be. In any case, I saw dozens of Thai cars in Prom (the Cambodian border town opposite Ban Pakkard) as well as in Pailin, which means they were allowed to enter there. Perhaps foreigners driving Thai cars aren't allowed to, but Thais are. In a sense it's a bit odd though, because there is no distinction between Thais and foreigners driving cars into Cambodia at O'Smach and Koh Kong.

As for the new border crossing at Ban Khao Din it's written บ้านเขาดิน in Thai. The GPS coordinates are

13°25'56.3"N 102°21'30.6"E

Thank you, here is the link:

https://goo.gl/uYcrmD

About crossing at Banpakard or Banlaem, it might have changed, but few months ago they said no.

In case people are confused, BAN PAKARD is the $hithole looking border:

https://goo.gl/9KvGeJ

Ban Laem is where there is a clean market.

Edited by gaff

3 minutes ago, gaff said:

Thank you, here is the link:

https://goo.gl/uYcrmD

About crossing at Banpakard or Banlaem, it might have changed, but few months ago they said no.

Ban Laem has always been a no. Ban Pakkard has been the uncertain one until now, but you have confirmed it is a no. Another poster who comments on driving to Cambodia a lot, Phuketrichard, has also stated that Ban Pakkard is a no go for entry. However, a couple of years ago I saw Thai vehicles crossing there.

I haven't been to Ban Pakkard recently but I do see the occasional Cambodian car in Chanthaburi city whenever I pass through there. I'm not sure if they're coming from Hat Lek (in theory they aren't supposed to cross provincial boundaries, though in practice the Thai police turns a blind eye) or if they're coming across from Ban Pakkard. A Cambodian business owner from Siem Reap told me he often used to drive his Cambodian campervan into Thailand at Ban Pakkard, but the last time was a year or two ago. Things may vary depending on the official on duty but it's safest for most drivers to simply cross where they know they're allowed to: O'Smach and Koh Kong.

Exiting at Poipet is also no problem, which I have done twice after entering at O'Smach. Apart from Ban Laem, I don't think exiting at Chong Sa-ngam is allowed either, since that border is closed for all vehicle crossings in both directions.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wang Lalker said:

was staying in central vientiane in a hotel with a balcony view of a busy road about 300 meters across the river from thailand, during the 3 months i was there i saw exactly zero cars with thai rego plates

Every time I'm in Vientiane I count anywhere from 10-30 Thai plates in just one day. On the outskirts of Vientiane and especially near the bridge, you could probably count hundreds coming across and going back to Thailand if you were to stay there the whole day. Vientiane isn't all that interesting, most Thais who drive their cars to Laos don't linger there very long, they tend to drive to Vang Vieng, Luang Prabang or other places. Lots of local plates (Nong Khai and Udon Thani) in Vientiane though.

• Like 2

have cross the bridge more times than i care to say, on the thai side waiting at immigration both coming and going one has a clear view of the only road that goes across the bridge, only thing i have ever seen on that road during all those waiting times was the cross border buses.
have spend probably years in the nongkhai-udon region during which time i saw exactly one laos register car. it was receiving police attention at the traffic lights near tesco-lotus nong khai, as i passed the female inside the car had her hand out the window with cash in it . lol

Edited by Wang Lalker
  • Haha 1

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:48 PM, bascat said:

If you order the ABC (Alphabetic letters) number plates from the road transportation department you don't need to put the black plastic stickers with the number plate translation on your car. Been in Malaysia over 20 times with my car and I think the traffic and the drivers is much better there than compared to in Thailand. Gasolin is 2.2 Ringit (17 THB) )per liter for 95 Octane (not gasohol) You can buy the extra 3rd party insurance needed for Malaysia at Danok close to the border for 1000 THB per months. Recommended is  to buy a Touch and Go card (available at the gas stations) for the pay roads, from the border at Danok to KL it cost around 80 Ringit now in road toll fees if you use the very nice motorways.

8 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Same me, I was refused at the Had Lek border on the Cambodian side to enter with my car and I had all the documents required. 

HAD LEK ? when did they deny entry ? I read here that someone else was denied few months ago, but why ?!

• Like 1

yes, easy,cross to both countries all the time, ( heading up to laos and down thru Cambodia this july)

for Laos u need the cars passport, get it where u pay ur car tax,  make sure u get it stamped out of Thailand and  into Laos and than reverse when u exit,make sure u buy insurance when u enter Laos

Cambodia;can enter at Osmach ( south of Surin) no problems and down south at Koh Kong ( pay 100 baht/day to Khmer customs>
they will tell u your ONLY allowed to drive in the province but they dont care,

your thai insurance is invalid, an u cant but Cambodian insurance without a Cambodian drivers license..

dont drive at night

do a search here, lots of comments

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, gaff said:

HAD LEK ? when did they deny entry ? I read here that someone else was denied few months ago, but why ?!

6 months ago. No problem getting out from Thailand but I was told by a very unfriendly official on the Cambodian side that I can not enter, even with my Cambodian friends at help he did not allowed me to enter.

• Confused 1

the people that  i have chatted with ( 2 were Malaysian plated cars)  that were refused at KK ALL told officials they were heading to snv and Phnom Penh>
BAD MOVE>  they will tell u ur ONLY allowed to traveling KK province!! 

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2018 at 11:45 PM, Wang Lalker said:

have cross the bridge more times than i care to say, on the thai side waiting at immigration both coming and going one has a clear view of the only road that goes across the bridge, only thing i have ever seen on that road during all those waiting times was the cross border buses.
have spend probably years in the nongkhai-udon region during which time i saw exactly one laos register car. it was receiving police attention at the traffic lights near tesco-lotus nong khai, as i passed the female inside the car had her hand out the window with cash in it . lol

Are you some kind of disinformation agent?

There are literally hundreds of Lao cars in Nong Khai/Udon Thani at any one time (during the day) and dozens which stay the night on the Thai side. Ditto for Thai cars crossing into Laos, however, there tends to be more Lao plates crossing into Thailand than vice versa, at least at the 1st Friendship bridge (Nong Khai-Vientiane). I suspect the main reasons for this are that Lao come for shopping, medical reasons and trade, Thais more for business and tourism. Secondly, many Thai cars are financed and during the finance period permission is rarely granted for the car to leave Thailand, whereas on the Lao side they aren't as strict.

If you are being genuine then you simply don't know how to distinguish between Thai and Lao plates. This is nothing to be embarrassed about, few farang can read Thai or Lao.