4 Myanmar workers sentenced to 2-8 years for teen girl’s murder in Ranong

webfact

4 Myanmar workers sentenced to 2-8 years for teen girl’s murder in Ranong

By Thai PBS

ranong.jpg

Four Myanmar migrant workers were handed down jail terms ranging from 2-8 years by the Ranong provincial court and Ranong juvenile court after they were found guilty of the murder of an 18-year-old Thai female student in Ranong three years ago.

The four Myanmar workers, including two youths, were accused of stabbing to death Ms Orawee Sampaothong, a Mathayom 6 school girl on September 18, 2015 as she was walking alone in a soi next to Saphan Phra monastery in Tambon Bang Rin, Muang district.

They allegedly told police that they were furious after they were chided by the victim and decided to attack her with knives.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/4-myanmar-workers-sentenced-2-8-years-teen-girls-murder-ranong/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-04-20

5 hours ago, JOC said:

Why the hell so short sentences ??

They confessed to the killings,,,unlike their fellow countrymen on Koh Tao, who was sentenced to death.....

The juridical system here is a joke...and clearly a lottery...!!

Some seriously questionable sentencing here, and look at the waste of resources to parade this Ba**ards through the streets when so many people losing their lives on the roads, Pathetic 

8 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

The employer of those accused was in possession of a CTTV file stating clearly, that the accused were working in his factory during the time of the murder of the girl. The police confiscated the video and tortured the workers into a confession. Read the whole story, please.

But, but  but that will shatter those who have already made up their minds based on their opinion of the thai justice system and virtually zero understanding of thw real facts of the case. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Another pathetic sentence in a questionable justice system.

I don't think the word 'deterrent' is in these people's

vocabulary.

I guess the judges accepted chiding as a mitigating factor. The sentences are all

over the map. Mushroom picking 15 years. An innocent schoolgirl 2-8. I shake my head.  

• Like 1

On 4/19/2018 at 5:57 PM, JOC said:

Why the hell so short sentences ??

They confessed to the killings,,,unlike their fellow countrymen on Koh Tao, who was sentenced to death.....

The juridical system here is a joke...and clearly a lottery...!!

I agree with the joke part.  But as for the confession, well, who knows what they were threatened with by the authorities while they were in prison/jail

• 11 months later...
On 4/20/2018 at 4:00 AM, fxe1200 said:

The employer of those accused was in possession of a CTTV file stating clearly, that the accused were working in his factory during the time of the murder of the girl. The police confiscated the video and tortured the workers into a confession. Read the whole story, please.

I know that I am late coming to this posting but few people are aware that the same Royal Thai Policeman involved in the wrongful conviction of Wai Phyo and Zaw Lin on Koh Tao is involved in this case too. Amazing Thailand? Not really he is now a top cop. Promoted to the highest post in the police division.