Has the quality of air become that worse in the last 2-3 years?

chado

The last time I was in Chiang Mai was about 2-3 years ago.

On air polution maps Chiang Mai goes pretty close to the cities where air pollution is seemingly way worse, such as Ho Chi Mihn.

Has the quality of air and air pollution become of a bigger issue in the last 2-3 years?

Of course its worse!

While authorities permit dozens of coaches(For Chinese tourists) to belch out their toxic exhausts while parked up in side streets of Naklua here in Pattaya , then air quality will only get worse.

Added to that is the destruction of the environment from these coaches racing through the streets of Pattaya loaded with Chinese.

The city is months away from grid lock as the growth of this industry is rampant without any control as Thai operators seek profits at the expense of the environment.

• Like 2

The air pollution in Thailand in most areas are 50% over the who limits and in Bangkok and Changmai 100% 0ver. Go to:https://air.plumelabs.com/en/live/bangkok and check for your self.

Really bad and increasing/only going to get worse. They add 500k Cars to the road every year. 

Thai's are oblivious to this and the government is going to have a health crisis on their hands when 70% of the population winds up with emphysema or bronchitis.

Pity all the kids who have to breathe all this dirty filthy air.

The government is more concerned about submarines, Rolex watches, and bullet trains.

• Like 1

From where I live, 15 km outside CM city centre to the NE, it is hard to see Doi Suthep clearly most of the year.

Even during raining season I would say 80% blurred.

Many weeks (months?) you cannot even see the Doi

That was not so 10 years ago, so things are getting worse. Drowsiness, sandy eyes and sometimes a orange red sun in the later afternoon (16:00). Wonderful, what is up there; fine particles from fires probably.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, uffe123 said:

The air pollution in Thailand in most areas are 50% over the who limits and in Bangkok and Changmai 100% 0ver. Go to:https://air.plumelabs.com/en/live/bangkok and check for your self.

Really bad and increasing/only going to get worse. They add 500k Cars to the road every year. 

Thai's are oblivious to this and the government is going to have a health crisis on their hands when 70% of the population winds up with emphysema or bronchitis.

Pity all the kids who have to breathe all this dirty filthy air.

The government is more concerned about submarines, Rolex watches, and bullet trains.

As a resident, what are you doing to bring it to the government's attention?

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, beau thai said:

It seems to me that  aqi has been higher for longer this yearbut maybe another reader can check if I am right and share data for you.

I leave the country now during much of March and April because it is so bad, and, apart from much handwringing in meetings, nothing changes. Rather like road deaths @ 24000 per annum. Uk 1700, Vietnam with bigger population 7000 I believe.

Other than that I love life in Chiang Mai- or I would go elsewhere!

We all make different choices, but living here and moaning about it is not mine. I know where the airport is!

When I was in Vietnam ?? 2 years ago, the tour guide told us there was 40,000 deaths on the road, but anyway it’s No way as low as 7000.

7 hours ago, nightbird said:

Bangkok air has been the worst I've seen it in more than a decade. I can't remember the pollution being this bad except in the late 80's/90's, before they began enforcing emissions on vehicles.

I agree. Been here since the 90s and this is the worst I’ve seen it in Bangkok. 

Not sure what’s going on to cause it. There was some blame on coal plants in Rayong but they have been around for a long time. 

4 hours ago, hugocnx said:

From where I live, 15 km outside CM city centre to the NE, it is hard to see Doi Suthep clearly most of the year.

Even during raining season I would say 80% blurred.

Many weeks (months?) you cannot even see the Doi

is that due to increasing number of the cars?

Yep it's very bad, was in CM in 2015 and again this year, very marked difference total cover of CM with pollution and even CR driving up by car, pollution reached down to Udonthani and could be seen from plane very clearly, got really sick after 3 weeks in that pollution and only get better now after been back home for 3 weeks, while my Thai friend is still coughing now, was considering retirement in Thailand but that is put back for a while now.

A good and influential Thai lady tried to organise a meeting in Chiang Mai to raise awareness of the problem , and was threatened and told to cancel it or else. 

March and April have been much worse this year. A lot of the days it’s been above 150 for the small 2.5 size particles which are the killers. Strange it coincides with the sugar Kane crop harvesting. 

Right now its 179 ??

Most Thai poorer kids have no protection and breathe this air 24/7 and one day they will suffer the consequences, but the men with the money don’t care. ☹️

It’s the one thing that I hear from many people which may cause them to sadly leave Chiang Mai 

Edited by captainsteve
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Trujillo said:

has-the-quality-of-air-become-that-worse-in-the-last-2-3-years?

No. 

7 hours ago, Trujillo said:

has-the-quality-of-air-become-that-worse-in-the-last-2-3-years?

No. 

This year is most certainly worse than last year as I have the statistics to back it up.  Anyone living in CM long term is playing Russian roulette with their health but of course there will be those that still don't grasp the seriousness of the problem until it is too late. 

On 21-4-2018 at 10:56 PM, chado said:

is that due to increasing number of the cars?

Well...call it the increase of living standards without the Thai (Gov. and the people) caring for the consequences. I asked my GF why the throws the alu cans in the bin. "I am Thai, I don't care. This is the Thai way" No further questions your honour.

• Haha 1

On 21/04/2018 at 9:23 PM, Crash999 said:

I agree. Been here since the 90s and this is the worst I’ve seen it in Bangkok. 

Not sure what’s going on to cause it. There was some blame on coal plants in Rayong but they have been around for a long time. 

Mostly it is city generated: more and more vehicles on the road, perpetual construction, and street cooking.   Bangkok often has little or no breeze too.  Sometimes it can also be caused by airflow from the eastern seaboard.