SURVEY: Cryptocurrency--would you invest?

Scott

SURVEY: Cryptocurrency--would you consider investing?  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

As long as you understand that when Trump starts flinging nukes around and we get a couple of exoatmospheric bursts which will give off huge magnetic pulse (or indeed a raging period of strong  sun storm activity - long over due! ) then most of the internet and all your bitcoins will disappear. Unless of course you take whatever you have the coins stored on and keep it inside a faraday cage. When Trump presses that first button on the nuke cruise heading into Iran how will you actually cash in your gazillions before they are worth nothing? And when the internet eventually comes back on after the nuclear winter - then ...... reset !

yeah right, its not as if the worlds entire money system doesnt involve the internet these days. it will be bye bye to all money if that happens

1 minute ago, phycokiller said:

yeah right, its not as if the worlds entire money system doesnt involve the internet these days. it will be bye bye to all money if that happens

Back to gold 

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

52% of companies effected went bankrupt, those that don't understand seem to think it was just some sort of temporary set back, it took years without more venture capital investment for many of these firms to go under, there was no rush to buy up companies who had millions shaved off their values, they had to prove themselves and those that were actually profitable eventually caught the investors interest again, if what you claim was true, that they were bought up at pennies to the dollar, then there wouldn't have been a crash, it would have recovered, but it didn't, it went down for years after the crash, the investors knew that not all of them could make it, however you seem to think they all could have if people had of just had faith, it couldn't be further from the truth, it was a bubble, they were overvalued, the bubble burst and people lost their money.   Crypto currency is dependent on people having faith in over value, it isn't going to work, that is obvious because people fear losing their money and as there is nothing behind these currencies to value there is no value and so when people start to feel the fear there is nothing at all to stop them crashing all the way to zero value, their true value.

yes there is, how many times does the bubble have to burst before people realize its not going back to zero? this is fantasy talk, its never happened (for very good reason) but people like you seem to think that because you say it will it will. reality is $9200, but feel free to fantasize I guess

48 minutes ago, phycokiller said:

yes there is, how many times does the bubble have to burst before people realize its not going back to zero? this is fantasy talk, its never happened (for very good reason) but people like you seem to think that because you say it will it will. reality is $9200, but feel free to fantasize I guess

Sure, and the 52% of dot coms didn't hit zero either, right?  It was you who wanted to compare it to the dot com bubble, the comparison is good, some will hit zero, in fact over 50% of crypto's have already liquidated, that is not a fantasy, that is reality, unlike your pure speculation of the future.

17 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Sure, and the 52% of dot coms didn't hit zero either, right?  It was you who wanted to compare it to the dot com bubble, the comparison is good, some will hit zero, in fact over 50% of crypto's have already liquidated, that is not a fantasy, that is reality, unlike your pure speculation of the future.

you might be mixing me up, .com bubble is not my thing.  no doubt a lot of cryptos will hit zero, and ICOs, but bitcoin, how many times has it been in a bubble, how many times has the bubble burst, how many times has the price meant to drop to zero but infact doesnt even go below the previous high? thats not speculation or fantasy, bitcoin is as strong as ever. I see today even goldman sachs is going to start trading it. I dont claim to know the future but there are no signs or reasons to think bitcoin is on the way down. thats reality

also, yes there is nothing behind these currencies, no backing , no intrinsic value, thats a huge advantage they have

Edited by phycokiller
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, seancbk said:

1) When the issues with Bitcoin and other blockchain projects are solved (ie we reach their future potential) the mass adoption will occur and the value of one Bitcoin will be significantly higher than it is now.    But we are talking 5 years or so from now.  

2) In the meantime people will trade crypto the same as they trade stocks, pork belly futures or any other tradeable asset class.

1) You've absolutely no way of knowing this, no basis for it, and have resisted every attempt to get you to think about what a currency is. 

2) Stocks can be pharma or oil - products with use. Pork can be eaten. You don't want to think about this either. 

You're such a disappointment to me. :sad:

3 hours ago, phycokiller said:

I see today even goldman sachs is going to start trading it. I

Christ. And you won't even distinguish between trade and own

When they make a market and hold 10 million as market makers I'll be impressed. When they hold two, or efficiently facilitate matched orders for a slice of the action, I won't be surprised. 

If two idiots want to fight I wouldn't join in, but I might sell tickets. 

13 hours ago, seancbk said:

You said, in the message I quoted "Nobody can explain to you what need cryptocurrencies meet"   

So I posted links with a real world use case, developed and tested by IBM and a group of banks. 

If you are too stubborn to read it and you don't understand that Global Trade Finance is a very large and important use case for blockchain then you are orders of magnitude more ignorant than I was starting to think.

You're so stupid that if I bank used blockchain in its normal banking function - dealing with dollars and euro - you'd think (you do think) that this tells us something about Bitcoin. F-F-S. You think either, 

1) banks use blockchain technology

2) Bitcoin uses blockchain technology

3) ergo banks accept Bitcoin

OR

1) banks use blockchain technology and are successful

3) ergo Bitcoin will be successful. 

Your head is like a ball of wool that the cat has been playing with. 

3 hours ago, phycokiller said:

also, yes there is nothing behind these currencies, no backing , no intrinsic value, thats a huge advantage they have

No. What lies behind a currency is that it is legal tender in some territory, government demands taxes in that currency and (therefore) government will act to maintain its value. The pound is backed by the productive activity of the UK economy and the counter-inflationary interest rates set by the Bank of England, plus its management of the commercial banks. 

You and your wee pals have avoided thinking about this for seventeen pages, and - doubtless - will continue. 

8 hours ago, bearpolar said:

And guess what? While turdfarts were saying every dotcom innovation was a scam, the venture capital firms were buying that shit for pennies on the dollar

and they made a fortune when it all went back up(when people that didnt understand dotcom gave up on their investment.)

No, as a group they were destroyed. But you - identifying the carpetbaggers who weren't, imagining they had characteristics different from their peers (rather than just being lucky), and imagining that you have them - see yourself buying at the bottom. 

The person who made serious money was Warren Buffett. He was buying brick and carpet manufacturers when the herd was going mad. 

4 hours ago, phycokiller said:

werent you the guy that says the market can remain irational longer than you can remain solvent? I can tell you exactly what its worth. $9200 at the time of writting. You can say its worth zero as much as you want, you can say the sky is yellow with polka dots as well but its hard to have a discussion if we just make up our own facts as we go along

Of course the market can remain irrational. That's why Buffett, with all his wealth, didn't want to bet against the continuation of stupidity. Paulson made $4.5bn being right about US housing - read "The Greatest trade Ever" - but he nearly had to give up because with a big enough tidal wave of stupidity it's hard to keep the positions open. That doesn't mean you aren't looking at stupidity. 

But that's all too slippery for you, isn't it? Too many mental moves. Too much thought. 

10 minutes ago, Craig krup said:

You're so stupid that if I bank used blockchain in its normal banking function - dealing with dollars and euro - you'd think (you do think) that this tells us something about Bitcoin. F-F-S. You think either, 

OR

Not sure what this means "if I bank used blockchain in its normal banking function - dealing with dollars and euro - you'd think (you do think) that this tells us something about Bitcoin."

1) Some (many) banks *are* using blockchain very successfully

2) Of course Bitcoin uses Blockchain Technology.    

3) Blockchains and Bitcoin are not the same thing.   A bank using a blockchain *does not mean you can go and buy that specific token from the bank or sell it to the bank*    You can however, own and trade, the tokens or a token created for that blockchain the bank uses.   Ripple is of course the obvious example.

When are you going to admit that you know almost nothing about any of this and are making up arguments from a position of ignorance?

20 minutes ago, Craig krup said:

OR

You are the stupid one

1) True
2) True

3) Bitcoin has nothing at all to do with the blockchains banks use, nor does their use of a blockchain mean they accept any crypto token or currency.

and 

1) True
2) True
3) There is zero correlation between 1 & 3, and only a slight correlation between 2 & 3.     Neither 1 or 2 guarantee the ongoing success of Bitcoin.

Care to demonstrate your ignorance of Blockchain and Crypto some more?

5 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Not sure what this means "if I bank used blockchain in its normal banking function - dealing with dollars and euro - you'd think (you do think) that this tells us something about Bitcoin."

1) Some (many) banks *are* using blockchain very successfully

2) Of course Bitcoin uses Blockchain Technology.    

3) Blockchains and Bitcoin are not the same thing.   A bank using a blockchain *does not mean you can go and buy that specific token from the bank or sell it to the bank*    You can however, own and trade, the tokens or a token created for that blockchain the bank uses.   Ripple is of course the obvious example.

When are you going to admit that you know almost nothing about any of this and are making up arguments from a position of ignorance?

Okay mate, you win. I'm quite busy and I've a limited amount of time to deal with retards. You post links to prove that blockchain has uses for companies and then infer that this tells us something about the value of currencies which use blockchain. 

You've never been through a decent university - or even a school - that forced you to read closely and think. This is wrestling with a pig. It wastes my time, but the pig enjoys it. 

5 minutes ago, seancbk said:

You are the stupid one

1) True
2) True

3) Bitcoin has nothing at all to do with the blockchains banks use, nor does their use of a blockchain mean they accept any crypto token or currency.

and 

1) True
2) True
3) There is zero correlation between 1 & 3, and only a slight correlation between 2 & 3.     Neither 1 or 2 guarantee the ongoing success of Bitcoin.

Care to demonstrate your ignorance of Blockchain and Crypto some more?

no no please dont feed the troll, better to block them so they have go to different forums to get their troll fix

• Like 1

Just now, phycokiller said:

no no please dont feed the troll, better to block them so they have go to different forums to get their troll fix

I don't think he's a troll.     Just a stubborn old man who refuses (despite claiming to be an educator) to go and learn when it's been clearly shown he doesn't understand the subject.

Just now, Craig krup said:

Okay mate, you win. I'm quite busy and I've a limited amount of time to deal with retards. You post links to prove that blockchain has uses for companies and then infer that this tells us something about the value of currencies which use blockchain. 

You've never been through a decent university - or even a school - that forced you to read closely and think. This is wrestling with a pig. It wastes my time, but the pig enjoys it. 

So you don't think that a blockchain being used for Global Trade Finance (which was the example I posted) doesn't mean the tokens therefore have value and should be traded?    

I went to a very highly respected school thank you very much.  

11 hours ago, seancbk said:

I don't think he's a troll.     Just a stubborn old man who refuses (despite claiming to be an educator) to go and learn when it's been clearly shown he doesn't understand the subject.

just flow of consciousness spiced up with personal insults, the amount of effort and time he spends writing this trash makes me think hes unemployed and using his mothers internet connection to troll for entertainment all day

• Like 2

2 hours ago, seancbk said:

Do I think that crypto is going to crash to zero and never recover?  Of course not.   Do I think it's going to change our lives and the way we use 'money' absolutely.   

Until you learn to think about what money is, and can refer to it without your tin-foil-in-hat-it's-all-just-fiat scare marks, you'll understand nothing about currencies, crypto or otherwise. 

Contemplate this: every idiot who was flat wrong and is flat broke has a CV just like yours. 

Did you read the FT piece? :smile:

For everyone who is bashing the cryptocurrency industry because it doesn't align precisely with conventional wisdom, I urge you to seriously stop and reconsider your position. Not because it makes a bit of difference to me, but simply because I have been where you are at, and I now realize how wrong I was. I'd like to pass along some wisdom.

I am the smartest person I know. Arrogant? Yes, but also true. I was convinced I was right in 2009 when I heard about Bitcoin and thought it was yet another fantasy idea that would never work. Crypto type currencies have been tried since the 1980's in varying fashions and they never succeeded.  I knew about them, and scoffed at the idea of Bitcoin. I didn't see any reason to believe why Bitcoin was different. I was wrong. Spectacularly wrong. And if you think this industry is just a fad that will go away, you are spectacularly wrong too. This is not about logic. This is about values. To put it simply, those adopting crypto do not accept your values about what is important, and the most important thing to remember is currencies have value because a social group agrees they do.

There is nothing intrinsically valuable about the USD, other than that the US government demands you pay taxes in it. Cryptocurrencies can easily do that as well. There are already stabilized tokens that track the USD, so there is no fundamental reason to hold USD except it can be convenient in some instances, just as crypto can be convenient in other instances. For a while, both will exist side by side.

It will take time, but crypto currencies will replace fiat because the younger generation will demand it. If you find that scary, then you need to get over it and start trying to understand the new psychology. This is a movement that isn't going anywhere.  Logic still applies to this industry, but the personal value system of the supremacy of fiat, centralized control and nation states does not.

This will be hard for you because it challenges your world view. As a scientist and a damn good one, I am used to doing that.  If you are not, then you need to develop that capacity quickly. There are many scams in the cyrptocurrency space right now and most people don't know how to recognize them. That will resolve itself over time as people become better at recognizing the patterns. It is totally normal in social psychology.

But to claim the whole thing is a ponzi scheme because the new generation disagrees with you? Well...if you are comfortable with that then just go back to yelling at the young kids to get off your lawn, say a prayer to Zeus and enjoy your final days. You aren't particularly relevant anyway, and your belief system will eventually fade away. Crypto is the future of economics, and the Millenials will be the ones making it so.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Craig krup said:

Until you learn to think about what money is, and can refer to it without your tin-foil-in-hat-it's-all-just-fiat scare marks, you'll understand nothing about currencies, crypto or otherwise. 

Contemplate this: every idiot who was flat wrong and is flat broke has a CV just like yours. 

Did you read the FT piece? :smile:

I've done more than enough research on what money is, probably more than you in fact.  

My CV and how it relates to other people isn't really relevant is it.   Markets, whether they be the stock market, the futures market, or the fledgling crypto markets go up and they go down. 

It amazes me when people say "oh my god the market went down, I've lost my money!"  actually they haven't unless they have to sell, and anyone who has to sell has invested money they couldn't afford to lose in the first place.   If the money you have in the market doesn't matter to you (a portion of your beer budget for example) then who cares if it goes down, just hold for the market to recover, because it most likely will, it might just take time.  That is the same in any market, over the long term markets that crash eventually recover.

Unfortunately, I couldn't read the article you linked as I didn't want to sign up, however I've read similar articles (based on the title).

There will always be two sides and the media make money from publishing as much as possible, to they produce articles for both sides all the time.    Basing an opinion on one article is a bit silly.  I read maybe a dozen or more articles, for & against crypto, every day, plus I take part in discussions about crypto in facebook groups, reddit groups and discord channels.    

I recommend that you watch this video, it is by Andreas Antonopoulos who is one of the best speakers when it comes to explaining crypto.   I'd like to think that you *might* find it informative :)

Guys, I completely understand the frustration having to read "Craig krups" replies. After a few I just started skipping them.

It obviously is no use to try to explain our standpoint, as we are the idiots, he is right. Let him believe that, let him run around with a smile on his face that he "showed us wrong".

His time has passed. He is still talking about "back in the days", while we are talking about "in a few years"....no common ground. We dont care about the past, he can't see the future.

I am sort of lucky with my dad. While he keeps messing up computers and has problems with technology, he sure does try to keep up with things. He trusts the younger generation about the future...he doesnt have much of a choice anyway :)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Craig krup said:

Yesterday, a panel of blockchain experts gave evidence on the technology to the British Parliament's Treasury Select Committee. The panel included Ryan Zagone, director of regulatory relations (yes, that's apparently really a job title) at Ripple, the company behind the ultimate leap-of-faith-demanding centralised digital currency, XRP.

Mr Zagone gave the committee the usual spiel about the need for a bridging currency for cross-border payments (which we've previously debunked). He also told us that 120 financial institutions had signed up to “the Ripple network”. And then he said:

The banks we see on the network are not using XRP. Right now we're looking down the road at how they can expand their reach through XRP.

That's right! No bank is using the digital currency designed for banks. That doesn't stop it currently being assigned a market value of $32.5bn (more than Twitter's market capitalisation).

No idea when this article was posted, but here are some articles that refute the claims that no banks are using the Ripple Network.   

Blockchain firm Ripple has developed a payment app that settles transactions instantly, in partnership with a consortium of 61 Japanese banks. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/07/ripple-develops-blockchain-payment-app-with-japanese-bank-consortium.html

The central bank for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, The Saudi Arabian Monetary Authority, has signed an agreement with Ripple to help banks in the KSA improve their payments using xCurrent.

Western Union is participating in the beta launch of xRapid – a platform developed by Ripple to solve liquidity problems with cross-border payments.  

https://oracletimes.com/central-banks-using-ripple-xrp/

Siam Commercial Bank (SCB), in collaboration with Japan’s SBI Remit, is using Ripple’s blockchain enterprise solution to power real-time remittance payments between Japan and Thailand. A first in Asia, Ripple’s cross-border payments network solution is helping remittances from Japan reach SCB retail customers easily, and faster than ever before.

Approximately 40,000 Thai nationals currently live in Japan, making it one of the largest sources of foreign nationals in the country. Total remittance flows from Japan to Thailand are roughly USD250 million a year.

http://www.scb.co.th/en/news/2017-06-29/nws-blockchain

Global banking giant Santander Group is reportedly launching a blockchain-based application for cross-border foreign exchange on Friday.

According to a report by the Financial Times on Thursday, the app, dubbed One Pay FX, is initially to be rolled out for Santander's customers in four countries - Spain, the U.K., Brazil and Poland.   

https://www.coindesk.com/santander-launching-blockchain-payment-app-this-week/

There are of course 100's of similar articles about Ripple's network and the banks or financial institutions now using it, and many articles about the testing they did to use it.

33 minutes ago, NiwPix said:

Guys, I completely understand the frustration having to read "Craig krups" replies. After a few I just started skipping them.

It obviously is no use to try to explain our standpoint, as we are the idiots, he is right. Let him believe that, let him run around with a smile on his face that he "showed us wrong".

His time has passed. He is still talking about "back in the days", while we are talking about "in a few years"....no common ground. We dont care about the past, he can't see the future.

I am sort of lucky with my dad. While he keeps messing up computers and has problems with technology, he sure does try to keep up with things. He trusts the younger generation about the future...he doesnt have much of a choice anyway :)

He's like so many of his generation.   He has formed his opinion based on limited information and having decided what he thinks he's completely unwilling to even entertain an alternative viewpoint.

I met a guy here a while back who thought that people buying crypto would one day not be able to sell it because he thought you buy it from 'shops that sell bitcoin'  and that one day all those 'shops that currently buy it back'  would refuse to 'buy it back'  

He had no idea that crypto is mostly traded via exchanges or that it can exchanged in person from one person the another.

Craig probably has no idea how many exchanges there now are, where you can trade crypto (400 that I know of so far, with more coming)  

When I was 17 a Jehova's Witness came to our door. Now, I have about as much use for God as an Eskimo does for an ice maker, but she was extremely cute and had a great rack. So, of course, I invited her in and engaged her in conversation. Despite everything there was absolutely no way I was going to change her mind about anything. I still remember it today because it was the first time I had really had a conversation with anyone who was so opposed to even listening to any belief system that didn't agree with their own. (I also still fantasize about her to this day, so score one for physical beauty.) I guess I had led a sheltered life, because all my friends were fairly intelligent and inquisitive up to that point when I met her.

Don't be too hard on craig krup. He may have other qualities that make him a very interesting person. (I know Stephanie did.) Open mindedness is not the only attribute that is important. True believers in any system, even one like today's financial system that is likely in the process of decline, play a very important role. The crypto movement is too big to go away, and for anyone who may be following this discussion, please read again what I said several posts back. Your optimal strategy is to be mindful of the myths and narratives you grew up with and that you were taught, and try to understand crypto from the standpoint of those who do not share your beliefs and values. It is here and you need to learn why it is going to grow.

Edited by Monomial
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Craig krup said:

The interesting thing is that when you drill down into the "skills" of so many young people they're as close to non-existent as makes no difference. They don't understand Boolean logic, they don't have degrees in computing, they use drag and drop....it's all s*it. If it's difficult then "Later!!!!!!!"

Well aside from all the young people with degrees in computing of course.    Not sure how you think blockchain developers manage to do their jobs without being highly proficient coders. 

Incidentally.... from ComputerWorld 3 days ago.

Blockchain development is now the hottest skill in the freelance job market, growing more than 6,000% since this time last year and putting it on pace to be the new “cloud” of the 21st Century, according to a new report. - 
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3235972/it-careers/blockchain-moves-into-top-spot-for-hottest-job-skills.html

The median income for fulltime blockchain developers in the U.S. is $140,000 a year, compared to general software developers, whose annual median pay is $105,000, according to Matt Sigelman, CEO of Burning Glass Technologies.

Kind of makes me want to go back into full time dev work.

Just as a matter of interest, how many of your friends are in the 20-30 age range?

3 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Well aside from all the young people with degrees in computing of course.    Not sure how you think blockchain developers manage to do their jobs without being highly proficient coders. 

Incidentally.... from ComputerWorld 3 days ago.

Blockchain development is now the hottest skill in the freelance job market, growing more than 6,000% since this time last year and putting it on pace to be the new “cloud” of the 21st Century, according to a new report. - 
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3235972/it-careers/blockchain-moves-into-top-spot-for-hottest-job-skills.html

The median income for fulltime blockchain developers in the U.S. is $140,000 a year, compared to general software developers, whose annual median pay is $105,000, according to Matt Sigelman, CEO of Burning Glass Technologies.

Kind of makes me want to go back into full time dev work.

Just as a matter of interest, how many of your friends are in the 20-30 age range?

We've already had that "fact". As I say, I listened to "In Business" last night on the subject of digital nomads, and two (from Edinburgh, IIRC) living in Lisbon were earning (they say) around 40,000 euros a year. That was pretty much the only number we heard. I remember thinking, 1) is that really true, 2) I wonder what the median income is, 3) I wonder why we don't see this bounty expressed in the typical spending and 4) I wonder why so many highly-skilled high-earners with "square" jobs troop on. 

Nobody ever tells anyone the hard motherluvin' truth. Geophysicists working for major oil service companies during booms make serious money, but it's $150,000-$200,000, and they fight for it, work hard, and get laid off when the oil price drops. If you read what real candid insiders say about anything it's always very different to "reports", and "I heard" and "according to" [Sigelman, or anyone else]. In any major money making enterprise there are a few who grab obscene money, but even them it's rarely really awesome. An ex-girlfriend ended up on the board of a Fortune 500 company. It was rules and stress. "You can claim gas, but your car's sh*t. Your housing allowance means renting this in downtown Houston, but "this" could be bought for $400,000". As soon as the stock options vested she left, and walked away with $1.5m. But that's a senior job, Fortune 500. Most of what you think is true is just nonsense. 

But honestly, seriously, hand on heart, I hope it all works out for you. It doesn't grease my primary sexual characteristics either way. 

4 hours ago, seancbk said:

I've done more than enough research on what money is, probably more than you in fact.  

My CV and how it relates to other people isn't really relevant is it.   Markets, whether they be the stock market, the futures market, or the fledgling crypto markets go up and they go down. 

It amazes me when people say "oh my god the market went down, I've lost my money!"  actually they haven't unless they have to sell, and anyone who has to sell has invested money they couldn't afford to lose in the first place.   If the money you have in the market doesn't matter to you (a portion of your beer budget for example) then who cares if it goes down, just hold for the market to recover, because it most likely will, it might just take time.  That is the same in any market, over the long term markets that crash eventually recover.

Unfortunately, I couldn't read the article you linked as I didn't want to sign up, however I've read similar articles (based on the title).

There will always be two sides and the media make money from publishing as much as possible, to they produce articles for both sides all the time.    Basing an opinion on one article is a bit silly.  I read maybe a dozen or more articles, for & against crypto, every day, plus I take part in discussions about crypto in facebook groups, reddit groups and discord channels.    

I recommend that you watch this video, it is by Andreas Antonopoulos who is one of the best speakers when it comes to explaining crypto.   I'd like to think that you *might* find it informative :)

Thanks for posting. Very interesting.