Thai plug back box size

recom273

Good exercise this, I hope the OP comes back and posts the US box sizes.

However, based on my experience with Thai car rego plates that look the same style and size as US car rego plates, they're close but annoyingly different.

28 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Boxes seem about the same size fixings on 97mm centres. Annoyingly different.

K2nA3.jpg

Got to be careful with them US fittings as they have two centres. One for the back fixing and one for the front cover plate. You might find the back fixing is close to your 83 mmm.

Also they use a stone age measuring system.

• Like 1

This is so Thailand. All these RF / Wifi switches are made to AU / US / CH / UK spec ..

These switches and technology are so cheap now, and experiment.

It’s all experimentation at the moment, we are looking to buy our own place in the next year. The wifi light switches look good in US dimensions, so, If I have to buy a box of US backboxes then its better to find out sooner than later.

I will post back when the switches arrive, thanks all.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

After doing a little research, seems like the switches have a screw adjustment, I watched a Thai video with a guy fitting a broadlink rf switch, but, sonoff have a similar fixture that may allow for fitting into a Thai system.

It’s enough to order a couple and take the risk.

IMG_6451.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

6 hours ago, recom273 said:

It’s enough to order a couple and take the risk.

Yup, looks like that will fit a Thai box, it's also marked as 90-250V AC.

Looks like you're good to go.

IMPORTANT - Note the note that the N connection is needed for the switch to function, not all switch wiring takes a N to the box.

12 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yup, looks like that will fit a Thai box, it's also marked as 90-250V AC.

Looks like you're good to go.

IMPORTANT - Note the note that the N connection is needed for the switch to function, not all switch wiring takes a N to the box.

I think that it's probably more likely usually there is no N taken to the box, here or in the UK it is standard to have a switched live only in the box what ever colours have been used.

11 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I think that it's probably more likely usually there is no N taken to the box, here or in the UK it is standard to have a switched live only in the box what ever colours have been used.

UK standard is no N at the box, most of our boxes have N, but only because I insisted.

Broadlink products https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Broadlink-TC2-3Gang-Wireless-Wifi-Connection-Wall-Touch-Panel-Light-Switch-Remote-Control-Via-Smart/32817514028.html don't need a neutral at the switch.

UK standard is no N at the box, most of our boxes have N, but only because I insisted.

Broadlink products https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Broadlink-TC2-3Gang-Wireless-Wifi-Connection-Wall-Touch-Panel-Light-Switch-Remote-Control-Via-Smart/32817514028.html don't need a neutral at the switch.

My switches also look good in my new build rental place, someone looks to have done a good job, all the colours are there, it would seem a waste of time not to finish them at the junction box.

Like Crossy says, its all about insistence, when we take the plunge then I will know what to insist upon to have a stress free installation.

BTW, I had already planned to go with the sonoff switches, these are wifi. The broadlink are RF, which need a broadlink hub to connect to your voice assistant. The wifi switches are discovered by the assistants without too much trouble,

I will post back, as and when.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Question on the Chase yesterday.

How many wire colours in a standard UK plug

22 minutes ago, Wirejerker said:

You started it.

Really?

Three is incorrect, four is correct.

Four in Oz too.

And for those who are wondering what the flip we are discussing, the colours are Brown, Blue, Green, Yellow. I was actually asked this at my first ever job interview.

6 hours ago, Swimman said:

Currently 3 wires 4 colours is only true for earthed appliances. Double insulated ones only have 2  wires 2 colours neutral and line.

But if the wiring is old enough then 3 & 3

Edited by sometimewoodworker

5 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

3 wires 4 colours is only true for earthed appliances. Double insulated ones only have 2  wires 2 colours neutral and line.

The question did specify a standard plug - are DI ones "standard"?

5 minutes ago, Swimman said:

The question did specify a standard plug - are DI ones "standard"?

It is the appliances that are Double insulated not the plugs, and yes they are standard, they mostly use 3 pin plugs and if correctly supplied and with with a moulded on plug the "earth" pin is plastic 

Edited by sometimewoodworker