Naked gunman kills four in Nashville Waffle House

webfact

Police search for gunman who killed 4 at Nashville waffle house

By Tim Ghianni

2018-04-22T231032Z_2_LYNXMPEE3L0JE_RTROPTP_4_USA-TENNESSEE-SHOOTING.JPG

A police vehicle sits parked at the scene of a fatal shooting at a Waffle House restaurant near Nashville, Tennessee, U.S., April 22, 2018. Metro Nashville Police Department/Handout via REUTERS

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Reuters) - A nearly nude gunman killed four people at a Waffle House restaurant in Nashville, Tennessee, early on Sunday and then fled after a patron saved lives by wrestling the assault-style rifle from his hands.

The suspected shooter, identified by authorities as Travis Reinking, 29, fled on foot and was still at large as murder warrants were being issued for him, the Metropolitan Nashville Police said.

Reinking, originally from Morton, Illinois, lives near the restaurant, Nashville police spokesman Don Aaron told an afternoon news conference. The gunman's vehicle was registered to him and it was found at the scene, Aaron said.

Police speculate that Reinking ran home, grabbed a pair of pants and fled his apartment. A shirtless, shoeless man believed to be him was spotted in the woods nearby, police said.

The gunman, who was naked but for a green jacket, first shot and killed two people in the parking lot of the restaurant in Antioch, a section of southeast Nashville, shortly before 3:30 a.m. (0830 GMT).

He then entered the restaurant and opened fire, police said, killing one patron and wounding another, who later died.

One diner, James Shaw Jr., 29, who had hidden near the restrooms, dashed out and pulled the rifle from the gunman. His fast actions were credited with saving lives, but Shaw said at the news conference that he was no hero.

"I just wanted to live," said Shaw, who added that he had been getting a snack with friends after a fraternity house party. "I figured if I was going to die, he was going to have to work for it. I was completely doing that to save myself."

Shaw suffered non-life-threatening wounds including an injured elbow, while other patrons suffered facial wounds from shattered glass. He said he did not pursue the fleeing gunman for fear he had another weapon.

As the shooter ran off, he discarded the jacket, which contained additional ammunition, according to police, who cautioned that he was to be considered still armed and extremely dangerous.

ARRESTED LAST YEAR NEAR WHITE HOUSE

While the AR-15 rifle wrestled from the gunman and another weapon in his apartment were recovered, police said the suspect may have two more guns with him.

Authorities said all four weapons - including a hunting rifle and handgun - were seized from Reinking last July after he was arrested by the Secret Service for being in a restricted area near the White House.

Officials said Reinking had gone there hoping to meet with U.S. President Donald Trump.

The weapons were taken from him by authorities at his home in Tazewell County, Illinois, police said, and were later handed over to the suspect's father. Police said he then gave them back to his son.

Police said Reinking moved to Nashville last autumn and had been working in construction, but was fired from one job three weeks ago and left another last week after just one day.

Officers are going door-to-door in the manhunt and "our efforts will continue until he is apprehended," Nashville Police Chief Steve Andersen said.

Two people wounded in the shooting are at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. One is in critical condition and the other is in critical but stable condition, said hospital spokeswoman Jennifer Wetzel.

(Reporting by Tim Ghianni; Additional reporting by Rich McKay in Atlanta and Barbara Goldberg in New York; Editing by Daniel Wallis and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-04-23

A inappropriate troll post has been reported and removed.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

4 hours ago, saakura said:

Just the normal in USA. Next will come the candle light vigil + flowers, usual noises from the anti & pro gun lobby, then status quo till the next mass shooting.

Quite similar to the knife murders in London, eh?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, samran said:

That’s crazy talk. You can’t amend and an amendment! 

A Constitutional amendment is needed to modify the Constitution; which includes modifying or removing an existing amendment to the Constitution. 

According to what I read, his guns, I believe there were 4, were taken away from him and given to his father, who apparently returned them to him.   If the guns were removed, it must have been through some legal action.   I don't think they can just willy-nilly decide to take guns away.   When weapons are confiscated, they are generally kept by the policing agency, to the best of my knowledge.

Does anybody have any idea how this removal of weapons happened and will his father get charged for giving them back?

4 guns incl. an AR 15?

All the gun- loons will be shortly out to tell us, he needed them to protect himself from imaginary Hitler or to shoot deer!

What a sad state of affairs the US is!

• Confused 1

"Waffle House Hero James Shaw Jr. saved lives by pulling assault rifle from gunman’s hands; “As he was shooting, a patron of the restaurant, James Shaw Jr., ran to the rest to the restroom area of the Waffle House, saw that the shooting had stopped, and saw an opportunity to intervene. Mr. Shaw wrestled the rifle away from Reinking, and tossed it into another part of the restaurant to end the gunfire — Mr. Shaw saving obviously many lives in his heroic action.”

https://www.politicususa.com/2018/04/22/police-search-for-gunman-who-killed-four-at-nashville-waffle-house.html

Screen-Shot-2018-04-22-at-7.55.28-PM.png

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Hmmm.....  knife murders in UK = 270 per year

Gun murders in America = 32,000 per year.

Not quite similar. 

Gee, I missed all those numbers in the post to which I referred. Please show me where they were. I was more concerned with citizen complaints/protests and nothing really being done as the quite similar part.

3 hours ago, vogie said:

Probably easier to outrun a knife than a round from an assault rifle. So not in the least bit similar.

Gee, and knives don't make as much noise either. However, I was referring to the temporary turmoil then return to status quo.

2 hours ago, DM07 said:

4 guns incl. an AR 15?

All the gun- loons will be shortly out to tell us, he needed them to protect himself from imaginary Hitler or to shoot deer!

What a sad state of affairs the US is!

Yeah, the US ought to be ashamed, we could have a happy state of affairs like the UK--the number 10 country in Western Europe for standard of living https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/17-major-european-countries-ranked-by-standard-of-living-a7005331.html number 9 in Western Europe for income https://www.reinisfischer.com/average-salary-european-union-2017 and number 21 in pension rates for Europe https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/pensions/11189414/Why-Britains-state-pension-is-one-of-the-worst-in-Europe.html and have a murder rate in London which is greater than the murder rate in New York City https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-crime-murder/london-murder-rate-overtakes-new-york-as-knife-crime-rises-idUSKCN1HA1DH

7 hours ago, samran said:

That’s crazy talk. You can’t amend and an amendment! 

Sure you can. Prohibition (of alcohol) was done by constitutional amendment, and reversed after a decade of that failed social experiment.

8 hours ago, nausea said:

Isn't Tennessee a concealed carry State?

Tennessee is a permit to carry--open or concealed--state. To carry a handgun on your person, you must have a permit issued by the state government.

34 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Yeah, the US ought to be ashamed, we could have a happy state of affairs like the UK--the number 10 country in Western Europe for standard of living https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/17-major-european-countries-ranked-by-standard-of-living-a7005331.html number 9 in Western Europe for income https://www.reinisfischer.com/average-salary-european-union-2017 and number 21 in pension rates for Europe https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/pensions/11189414/Why-Britains-state-pension-is-one-of-the-worst-in-Europe.html and have a murder rate in London which is greater than the murder rate in New York City https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-crime-murder/london-murder-rate-overtakes-new-york-as-knife-crime-rises-idUSKCN1HA1DH

...aaaaaand your point is?

You could also have a happy state of affairs like most Scandinavian countries or the Netherlands!

So...again: your point is...?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Credo said:

According to what I read, his guns, I believe there were 4, were taken away from him and given to his father, who apparently returned them to him.   If the guns were removed, it must have been through some legal action.   I don't think they can just willy-nilly decide to take guns away.   When weapons are confiscated, they are generally kept by the policing agency, to the best of my knowledge.

Does anybody have any idea how this removal of weapons happened and will his father get charged for giving them back?

You'll find some additional détails here :  

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/22/waffle-house-white-house-shooting-545411

Edited by Opl

1 hour ago, DM07 said:

...aaaaaand your point is?

You could also have a happy state of affairs like most Scandinavian countries or the Netherlands!

So...again: your point is...?

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you. Since you said, " What a sad state of affairs the US is! " I was simply stating that the UK is not in such a great state of affairs either.