Thai court issues arrest warrant for human rights activist Andy Hall

webfact

Just now, ELVIS123456 said:

Thailand Laws are applicable in Thailand - not UK, UN, USA, anywhere.

Nothing any bunch of Expats say on a Forum is going to change that.

You would be far better off trying to adapt to the situation as it is here.

Andy knew what he was doing and did it anyway - the wrong way - on purpose.

He has achieved his 'martyrdom' as a 'glorious human rights activist'.

Spare me. I would now say 'go home Andy' - but he already has.

Maybe some posters should too -  seeing they dislike the Laws here so much.

Laws, just like the governing entities that create them, are rarely permanent. Would you also offer the same sage advice (forget trying to change anything) to Thais? Would you urge them emigrate if they are unsatisfied with current laws governing the country? Should people all over the world simply stop attempting to bring about positive change and do nothing? If that were the case, it would still be illegal in many places to claim that the earth is spherical and not the center of the solar system. Slavery would still be permitted in most places and women would not be allowed to vote.  Your comment is not only thoughtless, it's actually slovenly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

What, the law that states that you must attend court on the set hearing date or an arrest warrant will be issued for your arrest. That law is in every country in the world and it takes a guilty gutless person to run away and hide instead of facing the courts and it means the courts in any country not just Thailand. You break the law you pay the cost.

Let us do away with all the laws and then we can become a proper lawless society which it appears that is what you want, because these particular laws do not suit you but they do suit the country

Bordering on hysteria. No one is suggesting - as you are - they all laws should be nullified but it is incorrect to states that the laws in Thailand suit the country. There are many people currently rotting in jail that would strongly disagree with you, and yes, they are Thai. Thailand, may I remind you, is a member of the United Nations Council for Human Rights (an inconvenience  for the junta), which means it should not be prosecuting an individual (or individuals) highlighting human rights abuses, particularly serious ones such as forced labour, human trafficking, speech crime and abduction.

Edited by stephen tracy
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Your Grandparents Etc, were activists same as I was in the Vietnam war, like your family I fought for the good of the people and it was the governments that cancelled the commitment and left the South Vietnamese people to face the North on their own. This is exactly the same principle but it appears that you cannot understand it or you are just trying to start an argument. How do you think Andy knew about the people and the conditions? Did the company tell him? he had to have meetings with the people to find out what was happening. Are you really that thick not to know that he needed to meet with the workers to gain the information that he had.

Okay. My ancestors were all activists who made 'unwritten promises', and Andy Hall made real promises that he'd fix these people's problems. Can't argue with the facts, right?

Well done on this wonderful insight. 

14 hours ago, Thechook said:

Thailand is trying to convince the world it is working on human rights but all the world sees is Thailand arresting and incarceration those that speak out against violations.  The abusers walk free and those trying to help are locked up.

this needs to be in western mainstream media ...but there i only read travel advertising about thailand and not one percent truth

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Did I touch a nerve? Diddums. Run to Mommy there's a good boy. Tell her where the nasty man touched you.

:passifier:

Maybe you should avoid casting aspersions on people that have done more for the disadvantaged in in Thailand than you will ever have if you want to get avoid getting called out on this forum?

You have an extremely big ego, if nothing else

Just now, Srikcir said:

Actually, Thailand is not a member.

http://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/HRC/Pages/CurrentMembers.aspx

Thailand, Indonesia, India, Bangladesh, and Qatar were vying for four seats allotted to countries in the Asia-Pacific region in the UN rights group. Thailand was the only country not to make the cut.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2014/10/22/1413954464/

But Thailand (aka junta) has the "privilege" along with 28 other countries that have retaliated in 2016 against citizens who cooperate with the United Nations and get punished, through intimidation and reprisals:

“I think we should see these individuals as the canary in the coal-mine, bravely singing until they are silenced by this toxic backlash against people, rights and dignity – as a dark warning to us all.” - U.N. Assistant Secretary-General for Human Rights Andrew Gilmour

https://www.chiangraitimes.com/thailand-one-of-29-countries-in-un-report-on-member-states-punishing-human-rights-activists.html

In fact Thailand's poor human rights performance caused its National Human Rights Commission to be downgraded to "B" status - it was judged not impartial or effective enough to submit reports on human rights in Thailand to the UN Human Rights Council, nor can it actively participate in human rights conferences organized by the UN Human Rights Council.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/opinion/aec/30278458

Note: underlined emphasis is my own.

I stand corrected.

6 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Thailand Laws are applicable in Thailand - not UK, UN, USA, anywhere.

Nothing any bunch of Expats say on a Forum is going to change that.

You would be far better off trying to adapt to the situation as it is here.

Andy knew what he was doing and did it anyway - the wrong way - on purpose.

He has achieved his 'martyrdom' as a 'glorious human rights activist'.

Spare me. I would now say 'go home Andy' - but he already has.

Maybe some posters should too -  seeing they dislike the Laws here so much.

6 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

What a load of utter nonsense you spout.

Andy Hall has more guts than you, coming on here taking pot-shots at him, will ever have.

Bravo, same for the idiot I've quoted. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Justfine said:

Yes ruined his own future.

How do you figure that? Do you think he can only work in Thailand?  

The court findings will probably be a boost to his career in most other

nations.

Edited by Bill Miller

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:52 PM, Russell17au said:

What, the law that states that you must attend court on the set hearing date or an arrest warrant will be issued for your arrest. That law is in every country in the world and it takes a guilty gutless person to run away and hide instead of facing the courts and it means the courts in any country not just Thailand. You break the law you pay the cost.

Let us do away with all the laws and then we can become a proper lawless society which it appears that is what you want, because these particular laws do not suit you but they do suit the country

Speaking the truth isn't against the law in most countries. And for a good reason....

• Like 2

On 4/25/2018 at 3:52 PM, Russell17au said:

Some laws should be treated with the contempt they deserve, I wouldn't, for instance, wear a yellow star just because it's the law, I would run.

• Thanks 1

On Wed Apr 25 2018 at 7:24 PM, Father Fintan Stack said:

What a load of utter nonsense you spout.

Andy Hall has more guts than you, coming on here taking pot-shots at him, will ever have.

umm think click (not the scooter) & bait (not worms). pretty obvious imo

On 4/25/2018 at 3:33 AM, phantomfiddler said:

The single saddest thing about this country is the complete lack of justice, followed closely by the fact that a farang here has no rights whatsoever, lower than the fleas on a Thai dog,s back.

Wrong, not only farangs, but also any Thais have no rights to stand up  against the Rich. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thailand: UN experts condemn use of defamation laws to silence human rights defender Andy Hall

Published on 17 May 2018 -
GENEVA – A group of UN human rights experts* has criticised the use of defamation legislation in Thailand to silence human rights defender Andy Hall and others who report business-related human rights abuses.

2 hours ago, hathairat2711 said:

Thailand: UN experts condemn use of defamation laws to silence human rights defender Andy Hall

Published on 17 May 2018 -
GENEVA – A group of UN human rights experts* has criticised the use of defamation legislation in Thailand to silence human rights defender Andy Hall and others who report business-related human rights abuses.

And the Thais couldn't give a rats arse about what the UN experts said or think. 

• Thanks 1

GENEVA – A group of UN human rights experts* has criticised the use of defamation legislation in Thailand... 

Very impressive indeed.

But these very same 'UN HR experts' tend to turn a blind eye to horrendous crimes done by some others. They seem to be very very choosy.