Taxi driver in extortion case: I have no idea who sent the extortion email

webfact

Taxi driver in extortion case: I have no idea who sent the extortion email

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The Bangkok cabby at the center of the damning video and extortion case has told Thai media that he has no idea of the identity of the person claiming to be acting on his behalf.

Earlier British man Daniel McKee - known by his YouTube presence as Danny Mac - went to police to say he had received an email in the name of "Thierry Perenon".

It attempted to extort 200,000 baht from him citing the reason being the viral video that Mr McKee posted online after a journey from Suvarnabhumi airport to his condo in which the driver called him mean and there was a disagreement about a tip.

Driver Thongkham Sakaew, 50, said the matter of the video had all been settled now with a handshake and he was back to driving his cab like always.

He told Daily News Online that he had no idea who might be pretending to know him or who the person that sent the email might be. He would leave that to the police but was ready to help with any verification as need be.

Some have claimed online that the email - sent from the account of a French man with connections to the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) - may be the work of opportunistic Russian fraudsters.

The police investigation into the email continues.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-04-25

2 minutes ago, InfinityandBeyond said:

Clearly a scam. As the acct holder name in the extortion email is different from the name of the taxi driver. 

411pm.jpg.b69f1d58298f0a8ce7abe8e4631923b6.jpg.9f1486791ac8252b1dc9d008b0b5d0f9.jpg

Clearly a scam???? So if you try an illegal way of extorting money from somebody, you would just put your name there? Good to know.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Bangkok cabby at the center of the damning video and extortion case has told Thai media that he has no idea of the identity of the person claiming to be acting on his behalf.

First thing he's said that I actually believe.

1 hour ago, Bangkokfunny said:

Just check who's account number it is.
What I know of Bangkok Bank account numbers is that they never will start with 628.

Conclusion ... 
Fake extortion !!!

Indeed I had a thought that perhaps this was a convenient way to take the the heat off Dan the Man? 

15 minutes ago, Nip said:

Indeed I had a thought that perhaps this was a convenient way to take the the heat off Dan the Man? 

What heat? Only a very few utterly insignificant individuals have been giving Danny Mac any criticism over this.

1 hour ago, Bill Miller said:

What heat? Only a very few utterly insignificant individuals have been giving Danny Mac any criticism over this.

You clearly have no idea how the defamation laws work. Even if the taxi driver is guilty under Thai law the video posted is defamation. Which will cost Danny a lot of money in legal fees and settlement costs and his passport will be held by the court. Even the BBC cut their losses perhaps 3 million Baht when they published a video with the lawyer admitting his crime.

21 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Unless someone sponsors him this taxi driver is typically potless living only for his daily ration of som tam and M-150 and quite probably unable to afford to sue Danny for defamation. 

There are any number of Thai Lawyers only too happy take a slice of Danny no foal no fee because Danny will loose for sure.

Archived